Trying to find where my roots come from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find where my roots come from

Hi,my name is Darlene and if anyone on here can help me I'd really appreciate it. There's not much I know about my family. Everyone just drifted apart after my Grandfather and his brother passed away. What I do know is both my Grandfathers were half American Indian. My Grandfather from my mothers side comes somewhere in northern Vermont, and my Grandfather from my fathers side comes from New York bordering Vermont. I never really knew my Grandfathers much cause they both passed away when I was young.
    I have been trying to find out where I come from ever since I started having strange dreams. These were not your normal dreams where when you wake up you start to forget. I can remember these dreams in detail and the first one was years ago. I don't know why I have these dreams, but could use some guidance. And this is why I'm trying to find out where I come from :S

sorry to tell you baby......but unless youre in ceremony, than you dream is just that.....A DREAM
    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

i can think of some noted dreamers
      Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

hello ,your dream means somthing to you,we dont talk about dreams a lot here, its somthing personal between you and your maker as we all learn wright down what you keep dreaming about and think and pray on it your meaning will come in time..
        there is more you could do altho with out elders, bulding friend ship with the ppl and trust will grow, untill then keep your dreams close to your self and in prayer is how i belive you will find the meaning ,i will add that it takes years for me to see the meaning of some of my dreams they go along with my walk edivence come from life, breath, oh smile deep and do the next thing you need to do
        ,your profile has just a little more that one of the ppl here posteing in this thread said ..i do think it was sudden and kind of hurtful, i thought at frist in thinking more about the responce you got its just not true.you did not say you had a vishion or that you were doing anything other than dreaming a dream and perhaps its some what confusing you about the meaning and wanting to know about your granddad and his family really i hope this helps you some
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Like you I had dreams too but I only shared the details of them with a older brother and my son who also had the very same dream.

It took me 13yrs to finally end the searching of my father's family history.If not for the help of my cousin at the BIA I'd still be looking.

I wish you well in your journey.

Comment

ty and you also
            Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 08-20-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Take a look at some of our resources here:
              http://www.powwows.com/2012/07/am-i-...ian-ancestors/
              New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Originally posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
                hello ,your dream means somthing to you,we dont talk about dreams a lot here, its somthing personal between you and your maker as we all learn wright down what you keep dreaming about and think and pray on it your meaning will come in time..
                there is more you could do altho with out elders, bulding friend ship with the ppl and trust will grow, untill then keep your dreams close to your self and in prayer is how i belive you will find the meaning ,i will add that it takes years for me to see the meaning of some of my dreams they go along with my walk edivence come from life, breath, oh smile deep and do the next thing you need to do
                ,your profile has just a little more that one of the ppl here posteing in this thread said ..i do think it was sudden and kind of hurtful, i thought at frist in thinking more about the responce you got its just not true.you did not say you had a vishion or that you were doing anything other than dreaming a dream and perhaps its some what confusing you about the meaning and wanting to know about your granddad and his family really i hope this helps you some
                Hi ty for you'r reply :) I didn't think I had any reply's cause I thought I would get an e-mail. I do prey every night :) I did finally manage to find the meaning of one of my dreams :) I don't however write my dreams down though, I'll need to start doing that ty :) It was my husbands idea that I ask about my dreams, cause they troubled me so much at first. So he found this forum and suggested I ask. He always says u cant learn anything unless u ask.
                yes I know people can b hurtful, but I don't take it to heart. I've been through too much in my short life for that. but ty for caring it says a lot to me :)

Comment

Originally posted by darla75 View Post
                  Hi ty for you'r reply :) I didn't think I had any reply's cause I thought I would get an e-mail. I do prey every night :) I did finally manage to find the meaning of one of my dreams :) I don't however write my dreams down though, I'll need to start doing that ty :) It was my husbands idea that I ask about my dreams, cause they troubled me so much at first. So he found this forum and suggested I ask. He always says u cant learn anything unless u ask.
                  yes I know people can b hurtful, but I don't take it to heart. I've been through too much in my short life for that. but ty for caring it says a lot to me :)
                  good im glad your starting to see your way to understading and a word about native american ppl ,lot has been done against the ppl and many take no prisoners in a few words or less,,,,some dont know what they are doing sooo like any fourm it takes time to get to know ppl and vise verci. if you wanted to know somthing from a person you just met, would you go and ask him at first meeting or would you set with him or her a while and take your time getting to your questin just letting you and your hubby know that some times ppl are touchy for a reason
                  Im happy that your answer was near you
                  Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
                    good im glad your starting to see your way to understading and a word about native american ppl ,lot has been done against the ppl and many take no prisoners in a few words or less,,,,some dont know what they are doing sooo like any fourm it takes time to get to know ppl and vise verci. if you wanted to know somthing from a person you just met, would you go and ask him at first meeting or would you set with him or her a while and take your time getting to your questin just letting you and your hubby know that some times ppl are touchy for a reason
                    Im happy that your answer was near you
                    yeah I've never been on a forum before, from what I was told people just come out and ask what they want to know. Never really done that before either. Sorry about that (blush).
                    I know somethings that were done, also remember getting into trouble with one of my teachers when I told her the text books were wrong. Unfortunately I lost my Grandfather at a young age so there is a lot I don't know :( Any ways ty for putting me strait :) reminds me of my Grandfather, he was the best :)

Comment

1 Cayuga Nation of Indians:
                      PO Box 11
                      Versailles, NY 14168

2 Oneida Indian Nation:
                      Genesee Street
                      Oneida, NY 13421
                      http://www.oneidanation.org/

3 Onondaga Nation:
                      Rt. 1 Box 270A
                      Nedrow, NY 13120

4 St. Regis Band of Mohawk Indians:
                      Community Building
                      Hogansburg, NY 13655

5, 6 & 7 Seneca Nation:
                      PO Box 231
                      Salamanca, NY 14779
                      http://www.sni.org/

8 Tonawanda Band of Senecas:
                      7027 Meadville Rd
                      Basom, NY 14013

9 Tuscarora Nation:
                      5616 Walmore Rd
                      Lewiston, NY 14092

here are some of the ppl in new york also if your across the pond inter net will let you .you could google Vermont tribes, a lot of PPl went to canada some stayed in vermont the Abenaki are there as well as the Mohawk that i know of, there are sites that will let you look up familys names there is a thread here with much more info than i know to type out I hope this helps you

http://www.powwows.com/2012/07/am-i-...ian-ancestors/
                      Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

When I started my search, I went to my Government achives as well as ancestry.com
                        I found ALOT of info in both places which led me to the various bands my family was connected to. I then emailed and phoned those offices, armed with my names, birth dates etc.
                        It is a long hard search but you need to persevere. We weren't known for our record keeping so theres alot of history that only the elders remember.
                        Dont be discouraged if you hit a few walls or dead ends, I ran into alot of snags and some treatment that was surprising. I just kept remembering I was looking for my family, I deserve to know my roots. Please, whatever you do always approach with love and respect, maybe even a gift if you are asking of something from someone specific.

Comment

All I have to add is to persevere in seeking your roots.
                          My grandmother was one of a very few of what I can call a 'traditional' Lakota in her everyday life and in her outlook. She dreamt about almost everything that was 'meant to be'. She put a lot of emphasis on her dreams as they led her through her own life and they helped to guide us through our lives as well.
                          There is definitely as connection between your dreams and your heritage and coming to you at this point of your life, I would put a lot of value in them.
                          I will echo what another poster advised you to do...write them down, think about them deeply and yes, pray to seek the meaning of them...they will lead you to what you need to know.
                          Good luck in your search! I do have to add that I feel a real sadness from you that is apparent from your post. To know only minimal amounts of who you are from your heritage must be a hard thing to face. I live my life everyday knowing who I am because of being Indian...I don't know any other way of living other than to rely on my heritage and following this path.
                          I imagine it must be difficult trying to understand what I am attempting to say to you. I hope you do get it though. I realize I am sort of being vague right now and that is not my intention, but to be an Indian is something that you know in your heart and something that shapes you as a person.
                          Good luck again to you and keep us posted as to what you find in your search.
                          "Sometimes the character of the opposition defines why something ought to be the most politically viable thing in the world that needs to be changed"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.