• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bellaizee
    Pow Wow Visitor
    • Mar 2015

DNA Tests CAN be Helpful!

Don't discount those dna tests as they CAN help you find your NA ancestors! As you have read in one of my earlier posts we have been trying to trace my husband's Yaqui ancestors but so far no luck. We have had many of his family members take the Ancestry DNA test and have uploaded their raw dna to many sites such as FamilyTreeDNA and Gedmatch.

About a month ago I received an email from a very close 2nd cousin match to my husband's cousin Carol, Carol's mother and my husband's mother are sisters. This match told me that she was adopted and had her records unsealed and discovered that her parents were Yaqui Indian and were in fact registered. Carol did not know much about her father since her parents divorced while she was young and never saw him again. This match through her research and documentation had information on Carol's father and turns out Carol's father's mother was a sister to this cousin's grandmother and Carol's father was also registered. If it weren't for dna these two cousins would of never found each other and Carol would of never known about her Yaqui roots.

Comment

• milehighsalute
      Dances With Fat Chicks
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Bellaizee View Post
      Don't discount those dna tests as they CAN help you find your NA ancestors! As you have read in one of my earlier posts we have been trying to trace my husband's Yaqui ancestors but so far no luck. We have had many of his family members take the Ancestry DNA test and have uploaded their raw dna to many sites such as FamilyTreeDNA and Gedmatch.

About a month ago I received an email from a very close 2nd cousin match to my husband's cousin Carol, Carol's mother and my husband's mother are sisters. This match told me that she was adopted and had her records unsealed and discovered that her parents were Yaqui Indian and were in fact registered. Carol did not know much about her father since her parents divorced while she was young and never saw him again. This match through her research and documentation had information on Carol's father and turns out Carol's father's mother was a sister to this cousin's grandmother and Carol's father was also registered. If it weren't for dna these two cousins would of never found each other and Carol would of never known about her Yaqui roots.
      they are good at identifying criminals

and also good for maury povich in identifying the father.....but dont expect dna to jump out and identify a tribe for you

you can get proof of paternity/maternity if youre adopted and then research from there....birth/death certificates and most importantly ENROLLMENTS
      "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

• Bellaizee
        Pow Wow Visitor
        • Mar 2015

I never said that a dna test can help identify a tribe what I said was it can aide in helping to find your native family members especially if your were adopted and "IF" they are enrolled then those family members can help to identify which tribe.

And yes you need that actual paper documentation before you can enroll.
        Last edited by Bellaizee; 10-03-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• wyo_rose
          Ready to dance
          • Jun 2002

Got my Ancestry.com DNA test ordered!! My friend and I did it cuz we're both (maybe) half German and half Native.

And...we're gonna see if we're related! LOL That's the cool feature about ancestry.com's test is that it will match you with your relatives on the site.

This is all in fun, but still very interesting! I saw where 4 sisters tested and they all had inherited different % of each ethnicity they had.

It takes awhile to get the results back, but will keep you posted!!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

• eagleclanriverband
            Northern Traditional
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
            This is all in fun, but still very interesting! I saw where 4 sisters tested and they all had inherited different % of each ethnicity they had.

It takes awhile to get the results back, but will keep you posted!!
            Yah, wow, wouldn't that be something if your friend & you are related? Yah, let us know!

That's very interesting about the 4 sisters...I had never thought about that happening like that as a varying percentage by individual in the same family/with the same parents. I guess I'm so used to thinking of blood quantum fractions on paper/on the roll all being the same within a family. LOL.

Comment

• eagleclanriverband
              Northern Traditional
              • Oct 2014

Ya know, with all the discussion about these DNA tests, I've never heard that they have figured out to test about personality.

When I was a kid, I was talking to my mom about this family (in our tribe) & how it seemed like everyone in this family was mean. I was giving her examples of how they acted/what they had done.

She told me, "It's in their blood." She said that it's one of our old beliefs that personalities & character traits, just like physical traits like hair & eye color, that that is passed down through the blood. So then we talked about this other family where all the girls are really sweet & lovely. It was just their nature.

I think everybody can still choose how they want to behave & act/react in any situation, but I think what's in someone's blood plays a part too.

Comment

• wyo_rose
                Ready to dance
                • Jun 2002

Yes, I think so too! I know two sisters who have never met, but have the same father. I met the older one first, when she was a teenager and grew into a young woman, and the other was just a young girl. The older one was very bubbly, had a distictive bubbly laugh and was kinda ditzy/spacey/happy go lucky.

I went to go visit the mother of the younger girl and heard the exact same laugh coming from the younger girl. She not only grew up to resemble her older half sister, but had the same bubbly/ditzy personality. At the time, I didn't even know they were related, but after inquiring, I found out the relationship.

BTW: I sent in my saliva sample to Ancestry DNA, but it's a long wait for the results 6-10 weeks.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Cherokee Veteran
                  Pow Wow Visitor
                  • Jan 2018

My expierence

I am officially 5/32 Cherokee. I have my Great Uncles DNA and officially he is 5/8 Cherokee. I have noticed that ancestry picks up Asian traces with Native American blood. This makes sense since we crossed Bering Strait a long time ago.

It makes sense that Mexicans have Indian genes, since the Spainards integrated with the local tribes.

As for the accuracy of ancestry I think it is accurate. As I mentioned earlier I am 5/32 Cherokee blood which is 15.62%. Ancestry shows me at 13%, with a range of 11%-15%. Then there is a Asia South match of less than 1% and a range of 0%-2%. Which probably residual from the ancient days. This matches my calculated 5/32.

My Great Uncle is 5/8 Cherokee or 62.5%. Ancestry shows 52%, with a range of 49%-55%. Then he has Asia Central 4%, with a range of 0%-9%. There is also Asia East 2%, range of 0%-4%. This matches his 5/8.

I'd say ancestry is accurate.

Comment

• Josiah
                    Powwow Dude
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Cherokee Veteran View Post
                    I am officially 5/32 Cherokee. I have my Great Uncles DNA and officially he is 5/8 Cherokee. I have noticed that ancestry picks up Asian traces with Native American blood. This makes sense since we crossed Bering Strait a long time ago.

It makes sense that Mexicans have Indian genes, since the Spainards integrated with the local tribes.

As for the accuracy of ancestry I think it is accurate. As I mentioned earlier I am 5/32 Cherokee blood which is 15.62%. Ancestry shows me at 13%, with a range of 11%-15%. Then there is a Asia South match of less than 1% and a range of 0%-2%. Which probably residual from the ancient days. This matches my calculated 5/32.

My Great Uncle is 5/8 Cherokee or 62.5%. Ancestry shows 52%, with a range of 49%-55%. Then he has Asia Central 4%, with a range of 0%-9%. There is also Asia East 2%, range of 0%-4%. This matches his 5/8.

The report u received from Ancestor.com actually says your Cherokee? Or you self identify as Cherokee? For I bet you could not take that paperwork and actually register with a Federal Tribe. My next question is if your great uncle is 5/8th wouldn’t that also make your Grandfather or Grandmother the same??
                    My entire point with these blind tests is they are not useful to prove anything other than you posses hapalo group markers that may indicate you belong to one of 5 groups that has been identified as Native American but not what member of the 566 tribes in the United States! They do not prove that you are the descendant
                    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                    Till I Die!

Comment

• Joe's Dad
                      The voices tell me...
                      • Nov 2004

When did theory become fact? Explain the Bering Strait Fact.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• ChildrenFromTheSun
                        Tiny Tot Dancer
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                        The report u received from Ancestor.com actually says your Cherokee? Or you self identify as Cherokee? For I bet you could not take that paperwork and actually register with a Federal Tribe. My next question is if your great uncle is 5/8th wouldn’t that also make your Grandfather or Grandmother the same??
                        My entire point with these blind tests is they are not useful to prove anything other than you posses hapalo group markers that may indicate you belong to one of 5 groups that has been identified as Native American but not what member of the 566 tribes in the United States! They do not prove that you are the descendant
                        Indeed, these DNA tests cannot trace your ancestry down to a cultural level. Hell, I'd argue that this is impossible, since culture is just a social construct that doesn't involve biological aspects and requirements.

There was this one DNA test that claims it can trace down the specific Native American culture(s) you descend from somehow. I used to feel thrilled and accepted the idea that this DNA test could pinpoint your cultural ancestry, but now I'm skeptical.

So the usual ancestry DNA test, such as AncestryDNA and 23andme are only useful for determining racial ancestry as there are some biological aspects involved in race; DNA is a biological aspect. Not to mention race is a largely broader classification for humans than ethnicity/culture.

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                        To be fair, while the BST isn't 100% fact, it's still supported by plenty of evidence that scholars claim it's the most likely origins of the first human presence (and the first "Native Americans") in the Americas.

So what do you think of the theory? Do you find it unlikely and consider another theory on how humans appeared in the Americas?

Comment

• OLChemist
                          Pow Wow Committee
                          • May 2002

Beware of too literally interpreting the percentages of given halotypes.

During meiotic prophase I, crossover between homologous chromosomes occurs. One sister chromatid may get a section of DNA from the homolog; the other not. When meiosis II occurs, one gamete will get the DNA with the exchanged segment, one gamete will get the DNA with the original segment. On average you get 50% of each parent's DNA sequences. However you may only get 10% of the "native" halotype sequences that your parent had.

I thought the waterbug brought up mud and the buzzard carved it into the hills and valleys at the center of the earth for you Cherokee guys.

Comment

• Cherokee Veteran
                            Pow Wow Visitor
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                            Good question. Test shows only Native American. I know Cherokee because I am a citizen of the Cherokee Nation.

Comment

• Cherokee Veteran
                              Pow Wow Visitor
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                              The migration is pretty well documented and accepted among the scientific community. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Comment

• ChildrenFromTheSun
                                Tiny Tot Dancer
                                • Dec 2017

The migration is pretty well documented and accepted among the scientific community. I don’t know what else to tell you.
                                I find his issue is not necessarily that the BST is lacking in evidence and substance. It seems he's more concerned with his idea that the BST isn't 100% objective, which is true.

This doesn't mean that the BST isn't well documented and accepted. However, there are definitely some issues within and alternative anthropological theories to the BST.

Have you heard of the theory regarding migrations from the Oceania to South America?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.