No announcement yet.

My Grandma Mary Richardson Passed On...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandma Mary Richardson Passed On...

My grandmother Mary Richardson passed on last Saturday.

Just got home from Hollister on Wednesday night after her services were over.

I wanted to post her obit and let you know that this woman was remarkable, and molded so much of who I am. She was the strongest, most remarkable woman I have ever known and was blessed to be her Granddaughter.

Many of you knew Grandma - she lived on the corner leading to the pow-wow...lol. Many of my friends would come visit her when they came to the pow-wow, and she very seldom forgot faces. Always offered a smile and good news. :)

I will post her obit, but just wanted you to know about her too. Grandma gave birth to 12 children, and was pregnant with her last one when her husband, Joseph Richardson, one of the first Native boy scout leaders, drowned while teaching the boy scouts how to swim. That was 1958. She raised her children by herself, with only my uncle Horacle dying in 1969 due to a car accident. He was 15 at the time. Two other daughters died as infants.

Grandma could make a mean biscuit, and always had a good word to say. She would cut wood in the morning for the woodstoves (there were about 4 in the old house), feed the hogs, chickens, get all the fires started and then cook breakfast for the family and that was every morning, before sunrise. She loved you thru her cooking, but also let you know if you would get out of hand. She was a beautiful woman inside and out. And I loved her dearly.

MRS. MARY EPSIE RICHARDSON

Mrs. Mary Epsie Richardson, 82, died Saturday, Nov. 6 at Nash Rehabilitation Center in Rocky Mount. Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. today (Wednesday, Nov. 10) at Mount Bethel Baptist Church.

Mrs. Richardson was a Hollister native born Feb. 12, 1922 to the late Wardell Richardson and Gertrude Lynch.

She was a homemaker and longtime member of Mount Bethel Baptist Church.

Her husband, Joseph D. Richardson, a son, Horace Richardson, and two daughters, Bettie Jean and Gertrude, preceded her in death.

Mrs. Richardson is survived by five daughters, Mary Watersturss of Virginia Beach, Va., Vedora Richardson of the home, Patricia Richardson of Richmond, Va., Iris Evans of Warrenton, and Joanne Cyrus of Rocky Mount; four sons, Edward Richardson of Richmond, Va., Joseph O. Richardson of Warrenton, Carl Richardson of Midlothian, Va., and Robert Richardson of Hollister; 24 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren.

Arrangements were by Blaylock Funeral Home of Littleton.

Please keep our family in your prayers.
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Deepest sympathies and thoughts and prayers for healing.

Comment

so very sorry to hear of your loss smokin....
      you are in my prayers.

Comment

passing

cuz, me and family send our deepest sympathy and prayers to you and fam. we missed you this pass W/E. send me e-mail, luv ya. brenda
        LIVE,LOVE AND BE FREE AND RELEASE YOUR INTERSELF :)

Comment

Originally posted by fancyfingers
          cuz, me and family send our deepest sympathy and prayers to you and fam. we missed you this pass W/E. send me e-mail, luv ya. brenda
          Thanks Cuz - I appreciate your words so much - I missed everyone - my car broke down on Thursday night - so I took it as a sign and rested - it was all good.

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

I was able to visit Grandma's grave at homecoming today - it was a happy time...my Grandfather passed away in 1958, and they buried him down the road from Mt. Bethel because the church was not completed at the time of his death..

This last month, Daddy's family moved Granddaddy Joe to rest beside Grandma Mary in the Church Cementary.

After all these years, they are together again.

Their lives have come full circle...

What a love story - a sweet ending indeed.

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear this Ace.. my condolences to you and your family.
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

It has been a year since my Grandma Mary walked on - I am filled with such emotions - in knowing that I had a woman like this in my life - who guided so many with her strength.

I love you Grandma - and think of you daily - but am so happy you are no longer suffering. You were one of a kind....

My life is richer in having loved you and being loved by you....

Thank you...

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X