Andrew Hunter, R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Hunter, R.I.P.

Please if anyone has any information on the what happened and the arragements, please let me know. I grew up around Andrew on the powwow circuit since I was about 16. I would like to be able to know any information that anyone has. Thanks!

Tabitha Spell, Family, & Edisto River Singers
    What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Originally posted by nativegal View Post
    Please if anyone has any information on the what happened and the arragements, please let me know. I grew up around Andrew on the powwow circuit since I was about 16. I would like to be able to know any information that anyone has. Thanks!

Tabitha Spell, Family, & Edisto River Singers
    Baby Girl here is the info I have:

Cards can be sent to Duwane and Julian Hunter
    PO Box 973
    Ahoskie, NC 27910

Packages can be sent to Hunter's Funeral Home
    c/o Duwane and Julian Hunter
    123 Rhue Street
    Ahoskie, NC 27910
    My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth, and I couldn't see what I was saying...

Comment

Andrew was one of the sweetest people that I know. His warming smile and great big hugs were always something that I looked for when I went to a powwow. The jewelry he made was a direct reflection of a beautiful person. My thoughts and prayers go out to Julian and the rest of his family. He was a wonderful man who will greatly be missed. Rest peacefully my friend.

Comment

Was he the wampum guy??If I remember correctly,my wife has a ring and matching pendant made by him.They are really nice pieces of work.It's sad to hear when someone of real talent crosses over.My condolences to the family.

Comment

Originally posted by apacheheart View Post
          Was he the wampum guy??If I remember correctly,my wife has a ring and matching pendant made by him.They are really nice pieces of work.It's sad to hear when someone of real talent crosses over.My condolences to the family.
          Apacheheart,
          yes he did the Wampum jewlery work, and was from Ahoskie, NC. BEAUTIFUL hearted soul that will be sadly missed. Tell your wife to CHERISH the artwork, because as luvmylum said,
          "The jewelry he made was a direct reflection of a beautiful person".
          What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Comment

My condolences go to Julian and Duwayne.Andrew was a great guy and will be missed by alot of people I'm sure.

Comment

I also grew up knowing and seeing Andrew at the east coast powwows, he will be greatly missed. I agree cherish all his work that you may have, it definitely takes on a special meaning now. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

Andrew was my buddy. I danced with him at some powwows when he wasn't too busy at his stand. A few times, my wife needed repairs on her accessories. Andrew fixed them up for free. We always stopped and visit with him whenever we were at the same place. Good guy.

Yep, he'll be missed around the powwows. His work was excellent.

Our condolences to the family.

Comment

Andrew will be surely missed by us. He was always friendly and helped me out when I was looking for a job. I have nothing but good memories of him.

Our condolences to the Duwane and Julian and the rest of the family.
                  Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

I got the news early yesterday.

My heart is broken for his family and friends - Andrew was always awesome - he did those big hugs and smile. His work was comparable to none. he took a lot of pride in his work. When Stoney Creek first came out with their tapes, he was one of the main vendors who would seek me out at each pow-wow to be sure he had the local boys music. He always supported his people and the other tribes of NC - he was my friend and I will miss him terribly.

To Julian and the rest of his family - Jackie from Florida also wants to offer her condolences. She called me yesterday and wants details about the arrangements as soon as you know it.

Bless you and keep you - RIP Andrew - you're a gem.
                    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Comment

Heart saddened

My family and I are so sad to hear this news.
                      Andrew and his family were one of the first people to make me feel welcome in the circle.

Mother would always say to Andrew... "you always remind me of my bother" We always said we would show him a picture of our uncle Bobby but never did.

Ms. Judy said on heaing the news "That was a good friend of Ron's he will be missed in the circle".

He will always have a special place in our hearts, Julian and Duwane, we are here if you need us. Just let us know.
                      Sabrina and Dolores Jamison,
                      Ms. Judy Gibson and family.

Comment

Something Special...

There was always something special about Mr. Hunter. I remember when my wife told me at their pow wow (Meherrin) back in like 2003 how there were some local boys looking to sing. I spoke with her brother and cousins and told them I would be more than willing to help in any capacity possible. I went to Andrew and told him what had come my way. He smiled and I asked him what he would recommend doing when working with his people. I remember him saying something like, "You're already on the right path!...Anything you might need, you let me know." Many people do not realize that we started as a Meherrin Drum, today we are an intertribal group with heavy Haliwa influence.

When I received the word he had passed I was at school about to leave work. That night while toying around with a song for a much needed ocassion, the Creator said "Open your mouth and let it out!" When I opened my mouth the Creator gifted a song with Andrew's spirit.

Andrew was always supportive of all his people, Meherrin, Haliwa, Shinecock, etc. He will always be with us all in our hearts and mind.

Our prayers are with the family.

Jason
                        To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Ah jeez,

I do not know what to say. I knew Andrew Hunter briefly for about 6 years maybe? Went to pow wows down here in Fla and would see him set up, look at his work and would talk with him sometimes. I remember about a year ago, I think, they did an honor dance for him. I remember them saying he was ill. I never got the chance to ask him about that, but I think it was cancer. I went over and spoke with him and it was the last time we did spoke. I cannot remember what it was about, but I got the feeling from the way he spoke he knew me very well. I did not know much about him though.

He always treated me with respect and kindness, and I appreciated our conversations.

A lot of people in my life have passed away recently, a lot of people I knew on the pow wow trail. Talk to the people you know when you get the chance and treasure your experiences, because one day all you will have left is memories. I would like to express my deepest sympathies for the Hunter family.

Derek
                          I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

RIP, Andrew.

I met him about five years ago and over the years I bought several pieces of his jewelry at different powwows.

What a loss!

My condolences to his friends and family.

Comment

I've known Andrew for many years. I heard about 2 months ago that he was very ill and I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. However, I know that he has come full circle now because he has made the last journey that awaits us all. My love goes out to his family.
                              "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."---Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X