• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverbluewolf
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Dec 2007

Ndns Are Homo Phobic?

Is The Native Community Any More Or Less Homophobic Than Nons?how Do You Feel About Our Own Two Spirit People?
  • Josiah
    Powwow Dude
    • Jun 2005

There Ndns arent they?
    Just Happy thats all
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

• CandaePrincess
      that's not my name
      • Apr 2004

I never really understood the term (two spirited). I mean, they're not of two sexes. I know there are alot of gay natives but I don't know what the ratio is to other nationalities. I have gay relatives and I love them very much. I have gay friends, lesbian friends, bi-sexual friends. I just don't ask them about their sex life......I dont really ask anyone about that. *L* I think if someone has to make a judgement call against someone based on sexual preference.....they have way too much time on their hands.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

• outershell
        Junior Dancer
        • Jul 2006

some are some aren't... like any other race/culture/group

two- spirited may have had its origins in one particular tribe.
        sort of a role or place for the transpeople of that tribe.
        its like the body of one gender and the mind of another....

today its meaning of "two-spirited" may have changed to include any GLBT person of ndn blood....or been co-opted by waiscu in a glbt nu-age wannabe way...
        There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

Comment

• Wyldwolf52
          Springdeer
          • Feb 2005

I have heard and read the term Contraries. But this term could be used for some one that does everything backwards. Walking bathing. I am fairly sure this word was also used for homosexual's.
          Springdeer

Comment

• NorthofAda
            Back where I belong
            • Dec 2006

I have never liked the term "homophobic." A phobia (from Greek: φόβος, phobos, "fear"), is an irrational, intense, persistent fear of certain situations, objects, activities, or persons. One can disagree with another's sexual preferences without being "fearful" of them. That's absurd.

That being said, I don't think that the opinions of my NDN family and friends toward this sexual orientation are any different than those of the non-NDNs I know.

Comment

• CandaePrincess
              that's not my name
              • Apr 2004

the only thing I like about the term homophobic is that it is just that "IRRATIONAL", which includes most phobias.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

• Fast Buck
                fastbuck
                • Feb 2003

Some laughs

Still moving
                A dancer participated in many contest powwows. He tried and tried to win. He danced to the last drum beat every time, and made sure the judges saw him. But every time no one gave him the points to place in his category. Finally, at a big powwow, he wanted to win, and he gave it all he had, dancing to every beat, making the right moves for the honor beats, and stopped exactly with the last beat. The judges looked at him carefully. He thought he was winning this time. But he didn’t place again. He went to the head judge and told him, he did everything right, and asked him why he did not win anything. The judge said, “Yes, you did everything right. Your dance was good. Your feet didn’t miss a beat.” The dancer interrupted, “Why then didn’t I get a place?” The judge replied, “Yes, you stopped with the ending beat, didn’t miss it, but your stomach was still moving when you finished.”

Can’t dance
                A dancer and his wife were at the local country and western dance. While he sat and just watched, his wife went to dance a couple of times. Then his wife finally asked, “Come on, baby, let’s dance.” The dancer didn’t answer. He didn’t want to dance. His wife demanded, “Come on, let’s dance.” Finally the dancer replied, “I can’t dance; I have two left feet.” His wife looked at him, defeated, and said, “Is that why you dance in circles at the powwow?”

Playing with Cheerios
                A hoop dancer put on a good dance at the powwow. He made sure that he did not miss a beat while he made designs with his hoops: the Mickey Mouse, world, eagle, stairs to heaven. Everyone enjoyed his dance. After he finished, he was interviewed by the emcee. The emcee asked, “You do a good dance with those hoops. When did you decide to become a hoop dancer?” The dancer replied, “When I was about six years old. I was playing with the Cheerios on the kitchen table.”

Comment

• *Brown Eyed Gurl*
                  Granny:)
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by outershell View Post
                  some are some aren't... like any other race/culture/group
                  totally agreed...depends on age too...it seems to be more accepted the younger u are....my parents and uncles and aunts are still a bit iffy but accept...but they wouldnt wear a tshirt that says in rainbow print "i support" and i cant even imagine what my deceased grandmothers would say...they dint even like white ppl lol

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
                  When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

• *Brown Eyed Gurl*
                    Granny:)
                    • Mar 2004

uhmm ya im not gay...i just realised it sounded like i was lol

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
                    When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

• WocusWoman
                      N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                      • Feb 2004

Its about the same as the general population, especially among those that share some of the christian religions that have extremist views. Just like you find many differing opinions in the general population, you will find Native American people practicing a wide variety of religions and beliefs.

Comment

• Josiah
                        Powwow Dude
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Wyldwolf52 View Post
                        I have heard and read the term Contraries. But this term could be used for some one that does everything backwards. Walking bathing. I am fairly sure this word was also used for homosexual's.
                        Springdeer
                        Naw, Contraries were not gay

They were a warrior society among the Cheyenne peoples
                        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                        Till I Die!

Comment

• Margy
                          hey *g*
                          • Dec 2007

I used to have a relationship with one. Sad, he still doesn't accept it and keeps it a secret. I wish he could be happy....

I don't think it has to do with being Ndn or not. I think it's more about what kind of people you are with and whether they really love and accept you/them and want to see you/them happy.
                          ~~~~

Comment

• Kiwehnzii
                            Oldfart
                            • Mar 2001

Originally posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
                            uhmm ya im not gay...i just realised it sounded like i was lol
                            Ummm...... okay.

j/k

Comment

• Wyldwolf52
                              Springdeer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                              Naw, Contraries were not gay

They were a warrior society among the Cheyenne peoples
                              Thanks for the info on the contraries

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.