Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood Quantums?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blood Quantums?

    Hello, i'm new here and I was wondering what you all thought about Blood Quantum being a deciding factor in Enrollment. Personally, it does not matter to me. My father told me that because his mother and her family taught him about Shawnee life and traditions, and he in turn taught me that I am no less Shawnee than he is even though my mother is 100% white, this makes sense to me because even if I sit in a house all day and grow pale, I still know everything he taught me and nothing is lost. So what do you guys think?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Shaawanwa27 View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering what you all thought about Blood Quantum being a deciding factor in Enrollment. Personally, it does not matter to me. My father told me that because his mother and her family taught him about Shawnee life and traditions, and he in turn taught me that I am no less Shawnee than he is even though my mother is 100% white, this makes sense to me because even if I sit in a house all day and grow pale, I still know everything he taught me and nothing is lost. So what do you guys think?
    Dig into the old threads about this
    Its a subject that has been Talked about until
    the Cows come home!!!
    Then after you have read about it and still your question is not answered
    I would be shocked

    Oh ok

    Blood Quantum is......
    Decided by EACH Tribe's enrollment Criteria I have posted the History of Blood Quantum on here read that to get an Idea where it comes from
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Josiah View Post
      Dig into the old threads about this
      Its a subject that has been Talked about until
      the Cows come home!!!
      Then after you have read about it and still your question is not answered
      I would be shocked

      Oh ok

      Blood Quantum is......
      Decided by EACH Tribe's enrollment Criteria I have posted the History of Blood Quantum on here read that to get an Idea where it comes from
      Dude, you read my mind. We should actually have a thread for the newbies who think they are the only ones who have pondered this issue and are amazed when people get more than mildly annoyed and have some edged comment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shaawanwa27 View Post
        Hello, i'm new here and I was wondering what you all thought about Blood Quantum being a deciding factor in Enrollment. Personally, it does not matter to me. My father told me that because his mother and her family taught him about Shawnee life and traditions, and he in turn taught me that I am no less Shawnee than he is even though my mother is 100% white, this makes sense to me because even if I sit in a house all day and grow pale, I still know everything he taught me and nothing is lost. So what do you guys think?
        Wouldn't you feel better if you went and asked your father's people instead of strangers on the internet?


        Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?


        "When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

        Mr. Rossie Freeman

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shaawanwa27 View Post
          Hello, i'm new here and I was wondering what you all thought about Blood Quantum being a deciding factor in Enrollment. Personally, it does not matter to me. My father told me that because his mother and her family taught him about Shawnee life and traditions, and he in turn taught me that I am no less Shawnee than he is even though my mother is 100% white, this makes sense to me because even if I sit in a house all day and grow pale, I still know everything he taught me and nothing is lost. So what do you guys think?
          Dude, cause according to your profile, you are young. I am not going to be mean but blunt. You shouldn't care what we think; we are a bunch of ndns from all over the place. Some of us aren't ndns on here either, none of us can actually prove it either unless we meet. Talk to your family; cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. These people's opinions mean something. What we think on here is relatively meaningless. We like to think our opinions matter but they don't. So when you come on here just have fun and try to learn a thing or two about yourself.

          Comment


          • #6
            Okay thanks guys. Sorry if this caused any problems, I didn't mean for it to, I didn't know how to look at old topics which is why I posted a new one my bad. If a mod could lock this that'd be cool.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shaawanwa27 View Post
              Okay thanks guys. Sorry if this caused any problems, I didn't mean for it to, I didn't know how to look at old topics which is why I posted a new one my bad. If a mod could lock this that'd be cool.
              Simply process to search the archives much like a google search...
              Type in certain key words usually you will get good results back
              No one was jumping on you, for discussions on this board can get farrrrr more scary
              LOL
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

              Comment


              • #8
                For some of us folks around here discussions of blood quantum, enrollment, and CDIB cards are old hat. Far too often we have attempted to engage in an exchange of ideas, only to find the questioner is unable to prove ancestry and angry at those that can. Too often folks who are enrolled have been compared, albeit figuratively, to pedigreed show dogs. So many here are a bit war weary.

                Defining membership and identity is an important topic in Indian Country. It has profound implications for the futures of many Nations. If you are truly interested in the issue and formulating a indigenist response, I suggest you read: "Real Indians: Identity and the Survival of Native America" by Eva Marie Garroutte, " Indians and Others: Mixed-Blood Urban Native Peoples and Indigenous Nationhood" by Bonita Lawrence, and "Playing Indian" by Philip J. Deloria. A local university library will have one or more of these.

                As for here, well.... Here are a few threads to give you a feel for the type of conversation this topic provokes:

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...ally-mean.html

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...y-refence.html

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...l-indians.html

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...an-indian.html

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...bal-cards.html

                http://www.powwows.com/gathering/chi...dian-cool.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                  For some of us folks around here discussions of blood quantum, enrollment, and CDIB cards are old hat. Far too often we have attempted to engage in an exchange of ideas, only to find the questioner is unable to prove ancestry and angry at those that can. Too often folks who are enrolled have been compared, albeit figuratively, to pedigreed show dogs. So many here are a bit war weary.

                  Defining membership and identity is an important topic in Indian Country. It has profound implications for the futures of many Nations. If you are truly interested in the issue and formulating a indigenist response, I suggest you read: "Real Indians: Identity and the Survival of Native America" by Eva Marie Garroutte, " Indians and Others: Mixed-Blood Urban Native Peoples and Indigenous Nationhood" by Bonita Lawrence, and "Playing Indian" by Philip J. Deloria. A local university library will have one or more of these.

                  As for here, well.... Here are a few threads to give you a feel for the type of conversation this topic provokes:

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...ally-mean.html

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...y-refence.html

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...l-indians.html

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...an-indian.html

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...bal-cards.html

                  http://www.powwows.com/gathering/chi...dian-cool.html
                  Here Here
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

                  Comment

                  Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                  Loading...

                  Trending

                  Collapse

                  There are no results that meet this criteria.

                  Sidebar Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X