Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone else hear about this?

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

I saw it today and looked up some info on that Landis dude. Has anyone ever heard of him?

http://www.computernewbie.info/wheat...cer-treatment/

From the article : "Based on the Mentinah Archives, the current Nemenhah Band believes that natural plant and herbal cures can cure any illness, that anyone can be a Native American medicine man after completing the Nemenhah instructional courses, and that anyone thus trained can be “protected” from prosecution under federal Indian religion laws."

Wowsers!
    Last edited by ok24stacey; 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM.
    "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

alright! more newagers! yes! and they believe in just letting their people die! awesome!!!
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

All I can do is shake my head and think that this new age mumbo jumbo crap is going to get someone DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

just proves that fakes and flakes to cause harm! Both to their followers and to what people think of us. Of course the harm to their followers is gonna be alot worse then our hurt feelings and hot tempers.

Comment

from the article...
          Anyone can be a Nemenhah Band member. He or she just needs to pay money to join and to buy the Nemenhah medicinal products, and, by the way, to sell them as part of the Nemenhah MLM.

So it is that the Hausers, including Daniel, are all elders in the Nemenhah church and medicine men, and all believe themselves immune from county and state child welfare laws. The county attorney, however, disagreed.
          Um...hurray for the county attorney.
          Mind boggling stuff.

Comment

lol wow. thats pretty crazy, good thing the judge saw through that circus.
            Creator's teaching are not for sale last time I checked.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm gonna be the odd man out on this one. I'm really of mixed minds on this subject, at least when it comes to non-communicable diseases. Although I'm not at all sympathetic to these people's new age/faux NDN identity, the question of government intrusion into family life is a serious one, and not to be dismissed lightly.

Personally, I would say that the kid needs to be treated. Once he turns 18 he can decide whether he wants modern medical treatment or not. But...

A couple legislative sessions ago, the Texas Legislature "clarified" that the State can, for purely ECONOMIC reasons, pull the plug on patients who are vegetative and whose care is being funded by the State. On the surface I don't find that too problematic, except that families are not necessarily given the same right. The State can and has taken families to court to forced them to continue treatment on "hopeless" cases. My question is, why does the State get this privilege and families don't?

I have a relative who died last year at age 5. He was born with a form of cancer that had "wrapped itself around" his spine and then metastasized into his liver. He started chemo when he was about 18 months old and continued off and on until he was 4. Although he was terminal and would never reach adulthood, the doctors felt that with treatment he could live to be 7 or 8. His parents made the heart-rending decision to stop treatment. Their thought was they didn't want him to be miserable (due to the chemo and other treatments) for his entire life, and wanted to make whatever time he had left as happy as possible. He had a little over a year of "good" health. They took him to Disneyland, etc. and made his life as joyous as possible until he died. Should they have been allowed to stop treatment, or should the State have intervened and said that the parents had no right to stop treatment which, without a doubt, shortened his life?

What about Natives who use traditional medicine/healers? Should the state be allowed to mandate certain treatments, or more importantly, should the state be allowed to forbid certain treatments?

I know that this boy's cancer is treatable, and the doctors are saying that treatment would save his life, not just extend it a couple more years.

My point is that although my examples aren't the same as in this case, the difference is only a matter of degrees. It is a very fine line between the government coming in and saying you WILL take your child to the hospital for treatment, and the government coming in and saying not only are you going to take your child to the hospital for treatment, but you are NOT going to use traditional medicines (they're not approved by the FDA), you will NOT use acupuncture, etc..

It is a difficult issue with many, many shades of gray. While I'm not saying that the government is wrong in this case, anytime the government tries to get involved in such personal decisions they should held to a VERY high standard of justification for their actions.
              sigpic

Comment

I just saw on the news this morning that the Mother and Son have fled Minnesota. They think that she is headed towards Mexico to avoid him having to do Chemo.

I would say that yes it is an individuals choice as to have treatment or not.....but this child is 13 years old. His parents have the responsibility to get him the right care to save his life. If they were withholding food the State would have every right to step in and take him from them. Plus, they are being fed (and believing) all this bs from the Landis guy, so maybe they are not mentally equipped to be the one making the call for no chemo, imho.

The Landis guy is a total fraud and opportunist. It would be different if he was a credible individual that has helped others but he is not. Its just sad to see that this time its a matter of life and death.
                "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by ok24stacey View Post
                  I just saw on the news this morning that the Mother and Son have fled Minnesota. They think that she is headed towards Mexico to avoid him having to do Chemo...
                  One kid dying, at the grotesque direction of his mother, isn't enough to justify ad hoc government intrusion.

You need a license to do all sort of menial things, but any dumbass can be a parent...

BAH.

Comment

RDNKJ, you make very good points. And I agree with you. However I see the Wanabe group the mother is a part of as the problem. If only they could be charged for misleading and misinforming the dumb azz Mom. If I were dying from cancer I'd want to enjoy the end of ,y life. If it was treatable I'd fight it...tooth and nail!

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                      One kid dying, at the grotesque direction of his mother, isn't enough to justify ad hoc government intrusion.
                      Zeke, so are you saying that you don't think the State should have intervened in this case?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                        Zeke, so are you saying that you don't think the State should have intervened in this case?
                        CORRECT.

The State should remain out of personal decisions, even if they're stupid, so long as others are not hurt.

Legally, this kid is a minor and Mom gets to make the calls.

That's just the way it is, even if she kills him, unless petition is made for separation.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                          If only they could be charged for misleading and misinforming the dumb azz Mom.
                          Unless they guaranteed a cure, what's to prosecute?

Reality = caveat emptor.

If bad choices, based on poor information, makes the purveyor of the INFORMATION guilty (and not the decision-maker), it's time to lock up the CIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                            CORRECT.

The State should remain out of personal decisions, even if they're stupid, so long as others are not hurt.

Legally, this kid is a minor and Mom gets to make the calls.

That's just the way it is, even if she kills him, unless petition is made for separation.
                            Props to you, buddy! I disagree (at least in this case), but anyone who states/stands up for their beliefs, especially if the belief is unpopular, gets mucho respect from me.
                            Last edited by RDNKJ; 05-22-2009, 03:23 PM. Reason: Changed "even" to "especially." Just clearer wording.
                            sigpic

Comment

RDNKJ I agree with you, the person needs to make the choice, my own Uncle was a victim of the big C and he had gone through all the new medical treatments for years and was told, enjoy your last few weeks, there is no more hope for you! He turned to his sister and asked for here help with yes traditional plants. He had lost his hair to kemo, he lost his finger nails and started getting some darn disgusting skin outbreaks. Having nothing to loose any more he finally gave his life to his own sister. He started drinking one ounce of her homemade tree medicine juice, which he was told to drink before every meal and then again before going to bed.
                              This is 8 years ago, this man now has all his hair back, his finger nails are growing back in and his skin has cleared up big time. This has nothing to do with new age mumbo jumbo but tried tested and proven old family recipes. I know of the ingredients to this brew and how to make it. I have spent months gathering the tree parts for this and have seen over the 8 years how he went from a wreck to a regular living walking human being.
                              I have so much faith in this cancer medicine that I still collect the parts for it and share it with those needing the answer. One sip is stronger in effect than 100 pills that have one of the ingredients in it! So the white civilized society is making tons of money on watered down natural medicines just there for the picking!
                              Again, not mumbo jumbo wanna bee healers but true treatments from hundreds of years of being passed from grandmothers to the new generation of healers within the Migmaw.
                              I can only say chi meegwetch to grandmother for walking with me and sharing these meds with me and to those that wanted to learn from her.
                              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                              Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X