help w/ traditional wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help w/ traditional wedding?

Hi my name is Christina, and thanks for reading my post. I'm Blackfeet and want to put some tradition in my wedding. I don't have close family that is knowledgable on our old ways, and would like any input you could give me. I don't know how I can go about getting in contact with some knowledgable elders for guidance either. I'm sorry if I seem completly aloof but I'm trying. :) Actually I believe I can't get married in a full on traditional wedding b/c I'm not registered Blackfeet member, I know that my future husband and I can smudge together, and pray together...things that I know will connect us further and bring us closer to creator...but I'm just trying to see if anybody can give me any additional help :) thanks for taking the time to just read this and possibly taking the time to respond.

How does you family "traditionally" have weddings? That should tell you what is traditional in your family. That would be the very best thing to do to carry on your tradition. If you emulate what others traditions are, then you are not doing what is traditional for your family.

Comment

You can have a traditional wedding but you should know they are not legally recognized without a minister or priest (or other recognized religious leader) present to sign the papers. Religious freedpm is a farce, we don't get to marry or burry our own. Now your problem is this. A traditional wedding is conducted by an Elder so ya kinda need an Elder in order to have one. They would then tell ya how it's done and how to prepare. Chances are you will need to sriously postphone if this is your intent cause an Elder is only gonna marry a couple they know, not one they just met. So if this is the path you want your gonna have to meet the people, learn the ways, become part of the community.

Comment

i dont know about the blackfeet ways

but all things aside, really marriage is saying
        you want to commit your life to this person
        in front of your family, your partners family,
        and the creator.

none of the above is evverr!! gonna forget
        the words you said in front of them. umm,
        especially the creator. which is the key.

there is gonna be an expectations added
        to your lives. the man is responible for
        certain things as well as the woman. until
        the day somebody dies your always gonna
        have to prosper and live *the life* haha,
        *i dont wanna sound all star trekkey*

in the white world they use terms like umm
        divorce, separation, estranged,*myfav* ex!
        but i never heard any words like that in our
        way.. you know? cause it dont exist.

i really like the fact none of my history ever
        left one another. its that important to mee
        that none of them can point at mee and
        say, my son! damm. my grandson.. hes the
        one that started that way. its soo shameful

so i wont disrespect myself in front of my
        families and especially the creator.

haha, basically that what it is.

we went to a Judge and to make it legal.
        thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Didn't some of the western tribes the young man took gifts to the bride's father and mother and that was the entire ceremony??? The Sennca traditon 300 years ago was that if the man prepared you a meal and you ate it, you were his. I have been told that the Cheynne just ritually stole you from your parents. Some tribes you were bought for horses.... so are you sure that you want a traditonal event?

You do know that "weddings" are a white man's thing??? OR do you want that Dances with Wolves wedding???
          Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

wedding

The traditional wedding in a church is what my family trying to follow.
            But if I am going to chose I want a garden or beach wedding.
            The reason is that I love nature and I think I am attach with it.
            I think no matter where you held the ceremony the most
            important thing there is that you love each other you have blessed
            by your family.
            “The perfect Wedding Planning with perfect Wedding Favors ”
            weddings|wedding favors

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X