Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody help me I am stuck????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can anybody help me I am stuck????

    Can anybody help me I am stuck and I need your help, but I dont know what the next step in my Cherokee Heriatge is. I am adopted and my Cherokee Bloodline is through my Biological Father's family, through the women of his family mother, grandmother, ect......... I found my birth family about alomst a year ago and this is what I have learned and where I am at on my heriatge.

    Okay let me start at the beinging. My Great-Great-Great Grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee. She lived on the rez until she was fourteen and ranaway and married a man named Green, But my Great-Great Grandmother is 1/2 and her maiden name was Dowell. So that means my Great-Great-Great Grandmother must of remarried later on to a man named Theodore Dowell (my great-great-great Grandfather). My problem is no one can rember her name since was never given a White name until she ranaway. She had an Indain name and I can't even look her up on the dawes rolls, with out her white name, since she ranaway she probaly wouldn't be on there. I am think thinking if I can get a hold of Velma's Birth Certificate, to see who her mother was or get the names of my 4 great grandparents and see if there on the dawes rolls.

    I also found out the the goverment took my great-great grandmothers land away, bcuz she was an Ndn and was going to force her on the rez until she stood up to them. Apperntly my Family was very,very,very rich and the goverment didn't like that at all. But they lost it all when the great dpresseion hit. my realivtes came from the Trail of Tears but ranaway, (thats what I amssueming since I cant find them on there) I found some of them on the dawes rolls some under Cherokee, Cree and Chicksaw, But the age or blood qutament didn't match up. They lived in Missouri, Akansas, Teaxs, Oklahoma, and Illionis. but Mostly they lived in Missouri.

    So where dose this put me? If that infomation is ture that makes me 1/16th Cherokee by blood, But how do I prove that. It is one thing to know and another to prove it. Alos my Dad was aopted by my Grandmother (His Biological mother) 2nd husband who I was named after, when I was born and is 1/2 Najavo (she has a thing for NDN men, AYEEEEEEEEEEE, LMAO). Then she remarried to my now Granddad (18 years together) who is Full blooded Ogala-Lakota and he says I am his grandson and will always be. and my mother remarried to a man who claims Chirca-Apache and comanchee heritage.

    So where dose that put me at? I am I Native American and how do I prove it to those who dont believe me. I want to help out my people and make a even better life for them and perticepate in my culture, with out being looked down or made fun of or be called a wannabe, Bucz I look "white" (it is my mothers Irish genes).

    I am thinking if I cant enroll in the Cherokee Nation I was looking at the Western Cherokee Nation of Arkansas and Missouri and the Lost Cherokees of Arkansas and Missouri, but I dont think that is a good Idea since they are supected of bieng a fraud.

    What do I? HOw do I prove it? I am I native? I am not a wannabe or will never be one or a hobbyist. I am Majoring In Native American Studies and Anthropolgy. And What I want to do with that is help out my people, bring down storetypical thinking, make a better life for my people, ect............
    Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

    Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


    "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

    “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

  • #2
    Okay, I'm really trying to follow you here, but you are jumping around a little bit too much.

    You said that your 3rd g-grandmother ran away from the res when she was about 14 years old? Okay, do you have all the paperwork and documents and full lines back to her? That's my first question, 'cause honestly from what I see, it looks like (might not be, but does look like it) that you are jumping too far backwards to begin with. If you have your documents (even adoption), then your dad's, then his parents (and I don't know how old you are so I can't even begin to guess on the dates that that would be) and then their parents to their parents to this 3rd g-grandparent. Well, I'm thinking that that will put you somewhere in the middle of the 1800's. So where was she? West? There were no federal census records in OK prior to 1900, there was a Cherokee Census in 1880, but that give names and you would need to know her last name at that time.

    Ran from the "Trail of tears", not really all that likely. Not saying it didn't happen, just very unlikely. 'Cause the groups that actually went were actually very well documented through the Henderson Roll, that's what that roll was actually about and the groups and how many and how many actually arrived in OK from the East. And then many of the Rolls in the East also make notes of someone's kin who went West. I've seen them and have them.

    And then there's the Drennen Roll which was done in 1851/52 which was the people who they themselves or the children of those who came to OK through the "Trail of Tears" and from there there wasn't another roll (that I have found so far) until the Dawes Roll of 1898. So basically the only records that are out there are the Roll of 1851/52, the 1880 Cherokee nation census, and the 1898 Dawes Roll. If she's not on any of those or you can't find her family, then you will not be able to do anything about it really. Unless, you want to go to the National Archives and go through all the Indian Agent records for that area (and that would be alot of paperwork to go through) and see if there was amention of what you are saying here.

    As for joining the ones that you said, well they are not considered actual Cherokee's by either of the three federally recognized Cherokee Tribes.

    So what I would suggest is that you go in order of your parents and grandparents all the way back and get the documents available and try to find out what her original name was or could have been and then go from there. Just a suggestion.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have All the Dcouments/ Bloodline traced up until My Great-Great Grandmother. Who was 1/2 Cherokee and Born in 1905. Then looking for my Great- Great- Great Grandmother. All I know she ran away from the rez in Oklahoma. Married a man named Green, gave her self a white name to blend in, and then remarried to My Great Great Great Grandfather and had Velma and Harry Dowell, her Childern. Btw I am 22. LOL :D
      Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

      Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


      "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

      “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by _wuliechsin_ View Post
        I have All the Dcouments/ Bloodline traced up until My Great-Great Grandmother. Who was 1/2 Cherokee and Born in 1905. Then looking for my Great- Great- Great Grandmother. All I know she ran away from the rez in Oklahoma. Married a man named Green, gave her self a white name to blend in, and then remarried to My Great Great Great Grandfather and had Velma and Harry Dowell, her Childern. Btw I am 22. LOL :D
        I knew that you were younger the I am.

        Let's see. OK started keeping records of births and deaths in 1908, there may be a few earlier then that, but not many. Now many of their marriage records go back much farther then that, I've done work in the OK records.LOL So then does your gggranmother's birth record show the name of her mother? Should have her maiden name on it. Or is there a baptism record? Now from there where you might want to look is for your ggg-grandparents marriage record. Which should have been sometime, I'm guessing here based on what you are saying, between 1900 and 1905 or even later then that. Marriage records have listed the parents of the parties getting married for many many years, if she put them on there. Do you have an idea when your ggg-grandmother was born? When did she die? Where? Again based on what you are saying, she might have been born sometime arount 1890. She might have had a SS# and that sure would give you alot of info, if you can't find it anywhere else. Check old newspaper records in the area where you think that they may have been married, both marriages. And that's what I would do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
          I knew that you were younger the I am.

          Let's see. OK started keeping records of births and deaths in 1908, there may be a few earlier then that, but not many. Now many of their marriage records go back much farther then that, I've done work in the OK records.LOL So then does your gggranmother's birth record show the name of her mother? Should have her maiden name on it. Or is there a baptism record? Now from there where you might want to look is for your ggg-grandparents marriage record. Which should have been sometime, I'm guessing here based on what you are saying, between 1900 and 1905 or even later then that. Marriage records have listed the parents of the parties getting married for many many years, if she put them on there. Do you have an idea when your ggg-grandmother was born? When did she die? Where? Again based on what you are saying, she might have been born sometime arount 1890. She might have had a SS# and that sure would give you alot of info, if you can't find it anywhere else. Check old newspaper records in the area where you think that they may have been married, both marriages. And that's what I would do.
          I am looking for my GGG Grandmothers name, her Husband is Theodore Dowell Born in VA in 1856. SHould I try to get Velma's (my GGG grandmother's Daughter) Birth Ceritifacte and go from there and see who was my GGG Grandmother? Btw thanks for your Help, I really appericaate it.
          Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

          Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


          "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

          “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by _wuliechsin_ View Post
            I am looking for my GGG Grandmothers name, her Husband is Theodore Dowell Born in VA in 1856. SHould I try to get Velma's (my GGG grandmother's Daughter) Birth Ceritifacte and go from there and see who was my GGG Grandmother? Btw thanks for your Help, I really appericaate it.
            Oh absolutely, if your' own gg-grandmother doesn't have her mother listed or you can't find a birth record on her, but you know that there was another child with the same mother, then get that record to find out what your ggg-grandmother's name at that time was and that might help you to find her second marriage record there and from there you might be able to find her first marriage.

            Okay, he was born in VA--well that sucks.LOL The reason that I say this is that VA is a "closed record" state which means that you have to be direct line to get the records and you have to fill out a form and submit a copy of your photo ID to get the records. I've dealt with them before and I'm not crazy about it. Now, WV is awesome, dang you make a phone call and get it all.LMAO Or at least I did. But it can be done and you just might find out what you are looking for. 1856 is fairly easy to look up that info. Look through the census records, they exist.LOL

            You are very welcoms. This is what I do and I know alot about the ins and outs of many of these records, not everything, but alot.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just Found out that My GGG Grandmothers parents, Who are Full-Blood Cherokee, Moved from St Louis, Mo to The rez in Oklahoma some between 1870's-1880's. I still dont know there names, it is very fursturationg, becuz they could be on the rolls right under my nose and I wont know about it. LOL

              But I wont give up, I know other people in my family have tried many many many years ago to prove our Cherokee heaitage. But gave up, but I am not going to bcuz I am not a quiter.

              If I cant find them dose that mean my birth family is lieing and I am not Native American, I seen photos of them and they look NDN.

              So my Hearitage by Blood is:Cherokee
              Through Adoption: Navajo
              Through Marriage it is: Ogala-Lakota, Chrica-Apache, and Comanchee.

              (Am I right, read my 1st post for this info?)
              Last edited by _wuliechsin_; 06-02-2009, 12:33 AM.
              Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

              Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


              "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

              “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

              Comment


              • #8
                whoa, Whoa, WHOA!

                What's wrong with beinga WaNnAbe?!? huh? I'm maybe full blooded Navajo, but i am a full blooded wannabe too. I wannabe this I wannabe that. We are all wannabes........

                Bro, you still native. As an adopted Navajo brethen, You are what we call a mutt. Welcome to the tribe.

                I passed the wind with strong gas and lucked out. My dad was taken from his family, put in a white foster home. He was lost. But if it wasn't for the kindess of this family to find my family and keep him in touch. I would be lost too. Or not even born, or probably a halfbreed. It don't matter to me one way or another. As long as i exist u know. I was taught my way.......... Lucky hmmm????? Am I lucky for not growing up in a big beautiful home instead of a hogan?! Not getting a brand new car at 16, instead of a handshake?! Damn!

                he he he. Whatever! I'm still happy and grateful.

                You shown your efforts. That's most than what i seen in these lazy indians on my rez. Those that choose to drink and do drugs. What's worse seeing a passed out dude at a yei' bi'che' dance or a hundred of young methed out punks? You are trying to find you, while most are trying to forget. Making themselves victims, instead of making an identity.

                My whistle blows for you, friend.

                Find yourself. Find that balance, But don't forget to pray. And Don't worry, too much about looking like a wannabe, Wannabes rule!!!! It's about making friends showing your true colors. The rest will come.

                We Navajos love to say,"Ni' Hozho'". Means "Walk in Beauty".....

                Don't keep wanting.... Because i wannabe this, I wannabe that, I wannabe everywhere.....
                I wannabe cool.....2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wannabe View Post
                  whoa, Whoa, WHOA!

                  What's wrong with beinga WaNnAbe?!? huh? I'm maybe full blooded Navajo, but i am a full blooded wannabe too. I wannabe this I wannabe that. We are all wannabes........

                  Bro, you still native. As an adopted Navajo brethen, You are what we call a mutt. Welcome to the tribe.

                  I passed the wind with strong gas and lucked out. My dad was taken from his family, put in a white foster home. He was lost. But if it wasn't for the kindess of this family to find my family and keep him in touch. I would be lost too. Or not even born, or probably a halfbreed. It don't matter to me one way or another. As long as i exist u know. I was taught my way.......... Lucky hmmm????? Am I lucky for not growing up in a big beautiful home instead of a hogan?! Not getting a brand new car at 16, instead of a handshake?! Damn!

                  he he he. Whatever! I'm still happy and grateful.

                  You shown your efforts. That's most than what i seen in these lazy indians on my rez. Those that choose to drink and do drugs. What's worse seeing a passed out dude at a yei' bi'che' dance or a hundred of young methed out punks? You are trying to find you, while most are trying to forget. Making themselves victims, instead of making an identity.

                  My whistle blows for you, friend.

                  Find yourself. Find that balance, But don't forget to pray. And Don't worry, too much about looking like a wannabe, Wannabes rule!!!! It's about making friends showing your true colors. The rest will come.

                  We Navajos love to say,"Ni' Hozho'". Means "Walk in Beauty".....

                  Don't keep wanting.... Because i wannabe this, I wannabe that, I wannabe everywhere.....
                  Wado, Thank you for your kind words, I really apprecitate it. The reason I am trying to enroll and look for my heraitge is. Not only am I looking for my Idenity and who my people are. I really want to help out my people in every that I can, through the gifts and talents God gave me. I think I know why I am earth (I Could be worng, olny God know the plans for mylife, but I have a good Idea) and that is to help other people, espcially my People.

                  You dont know how hard it is to be adopted at 3 yrs old. All mylife I hoped, to find out where I belong, who my people where, where do I come from ect...... I had always felt that something was missing inside and when I was ten I felt a pull to the circle, and when I herd the drums for the frist time, I thought could this be my culture and heraitge. I had every since I was a little thing I was interstead in the Native American Culture, and felt a tug on my heart, that thess where my people.

                  Then when I found my Birth family almost a year ago, and found out I do have a people, a culture, a strong heraitge. I my heart jummped up down for joy bcuz I have always know deep inside since I was a very very young that this is where mylife lied and it was where I belong and it was my people.
                  Last edited by _wuliechsin_; 06-02-2009, 10:48 AM.
                  Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

                  Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


                  "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

                  “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    SO when someone ask me what tribe I am form or Tribal Affiliation.

                    I would put Cherokee/Navajo/Ogala-Lakota/Chrica-Apache/Comanchee?

                    Is that correct or incorrect?

                    Based off my Heraitge and family history and I am still trying to prove who my people where and that I havent enrolled in any of them?
                    Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

                    Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


                    "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

                    “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by _wuliechsin_ View Post
                      SO when someone ask me what tribe I am form or Tribal Affiliation.

                      I would put Cherokee/Navajo/Ogala-Lakota/Chrica-Apache/Comanchee?

                      Is that correct or incorrect?

                      Based off my Heraitge and family history and I am still trying to prove who my people where and that I havent enrolled in any of them?
                      just put Mutt......
                      sigpic

                      ...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wannabe View Post
                        whoa, Whoa, WHOA!

                        What's wrong with beinga WaNnAbe?!? huh? I'm maybe full blooded Navajo, but i am a full blooded wannabe too. I wannabe this I wannabe that. We are all wannabes........

                        Bro, you still native. As an adopted Navajo brethen, You are what we call a mutt. Welcome to the tribe.

                        I passed the wind with strong gas and lucked out. My dad was taken from his family, put in a white foster home. He was lost. But if it wasn't for the kindess of this family to find my family and keep him in touch. I would be lost too. Or not even born, or probably a halfbreed. It don't matter to me one way or another. As long as i exist u know. I was taught my way.......... Lucky hmmm????? Am I lucky for not growing up in a big beautiful home instead of a hogan?! Not getting a brand new car at 16, instead of a handshake?! Damn!

                        he he he. Whatever! I'm still happy and grateful.

                        You shown your efforts. That's most than what i seen in these lazy indians on my rez. Those that choose to drink and do drugs. What's worse seeing a passed out dude at a yei' bi'che' dance or a hundred of young methed out punks? You are trying to find you, while most are trying to forget. Making themselves victims, instead of making an identity.

                        My whistle blows for you, friend.

                        Find yourself. Find that balance, But don't forget to pray. And Don't worry, too much about looking like a wannabe, Wannabes rule!!!! It's about making friends showing your true colors. The rest will come.

                        We Navajos love to say,"Ni' Hozho'". Means "Walk in Beauty".....

                        Don't keep wanting.... Because i wannabe this, I wannabe that, I wannabe everywhere.....
                        hey whats wrong with being passed ot the Ye' Bi'Chei'?!?!?!!?....LOL!!!......worse is passing out in front of Wal-mart in Gallup (Thee Original Gathering of NAtions).........LOL!!!............I'm a wannabe too.......I wannabe like Coyot in the house!
                        sigpic

                        ...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 50cal View Post
                          just put Mutt......
                          LMAO, ok I will.
                          Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

                          Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.


                          "Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

                          “We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 50cal View Post
                            just put Mutt......
                            he he he........
                            I wannabe cool.....2

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I would take all the information that you have and call the Cherokee Heritage Center in Park Hill, OK. They have a geneology department.1-918-456-6007, ext. 239 is the number. Gene Norris or Benjamin Chasenah are who you want to talk to. They could research for you. The main thing you need to find in a member on the Dawe's Roll. Anything father back would just be for your personal knowledge. I think there are fees involved but I'm not sure. Good luck in your search

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • amorecondannato
                                Any help or guidance...?
                                by amorecondannato
                                Hello everyone. I have been reading numerous things on the boards the past few days. I am hoping that I don't generate negative response or opinion. I am 24 years old. Growing up, I was always told by my grandmother (who died when I was 15) about our Native American ancestors. I'm not coming here like...
                                10-06-2010, 03:22 AM
                              • wheretostart
                                Unwewlcome Feeling
                                by wheretostart
                                Okay,

                                I am 27 years old and yes, African American. My Great grandmother is half- Cherokee and black.

                                And i know what you are probably saying, oh it's another wannabe. That I am not. My Great Grandmother and Grandmother spoke briefly about her cherokee heritage and ancestry...
                                09-29-2007, 07:51 PM
                              • fubar
                                Hi, i am obviously new to this place, but ...
                                by fubar
                                Hi, I am a mixed breed and I am a veteran. I have been trying to discover information about my maternal great grand parents, as well as, my paternal ancestry on both sides. The problems, at least on the maternal side are two-fold. My great grandmother (my mother's father's mother)was Cherokee (we think)....
                                03-29-2010, 09:26 AM
                              • NWFirefighter360
                                Need assistance in finding my way
                                by NWFirefighter360
                                I just recently found this website and think there are a lot of helpful people out there; and I am hoping a few of them can help me out. So here is who I am and my situation. My name is Brandon and I am a career firefighter. I am 25 years old and am a very active guy. I was born into a wonderful...
                                07-26-2009, 05:38 AM
                              • Tanya2012
                                I'm Stumped..Advice Please?
                                by Tanya2012
                                My entire life, I've been told that I'm 1/2 Choctow although my dad and mom aren't full-blooded. As far as I know, my paternal grandma might be 3/4 or 1/2 herself(my dad & Aunt are noticeably darker than their siblings)& it's been rumored that Quanah Parker's even an ancestor of ours(Parker's...
                                01-23-2012, 07:27 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X