Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would these moccasins be cool for a guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those don't look painted with fabric paint.. it looks like he made some kind of iron on from a blown up pic of something beaded and strategically placed it on the show... actually that's pretty cool looking too!!!

Wolfn dude, I have to agree with someone else here... it seems you've already made up your mind that you want to wear this style of moccasin as fashion and just asking here to find out if indins here would think it was cool or not and you got your answer but then argued about it..... if you want to wear them then wear them and just don't be all shocked and surprised if you get ridiculed for it at powwows and such.

I have worn mocs outside the house and powwow for years, both soft soled and hard soled types and I wore them for at least two years (not when raining or snowed or muddy though.. I'm not daft) and getting ready to make myself another pair of hardsoled. It's not a fashion thing for me, it's a comfort thing cause I have big problems with my feet and ankles (thanks to a flexible flat foot and walking on my toes for years). I also have very wide feet with a tall instep so it's hard to find shoes other than Croc types that fit well and crocs are'nt exactly good for your feet but I found you can get an orthotic in them.... anyhow I'm rambling. ... like I said, wear them but don't be all surprised or offended if ridiculed.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Edit
      Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 09:26 PM.
      Agent of Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
        Hey, I have a question: where can I buy plains hard-sole moccasins? There's a Pow-Wow next month and I would really like to wear a pair of them. If not, I could just wear my regular Minnetonka knee-highs.
        You're jokin about the Minnetonka knee-highs right?
        Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Edit
          Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 09:28 PM.
          Agent of Chaos

Comment

Really? I've always seen Minnetonka's as a bit twinkie-ish. Never seen anyone around here wear 'em. You should get some real mocs, ask someone to make a pair for you. Or you could be brave and try it yourself. There's a moc tutorial somewhere on the board.
            Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Make 'em. It's not that hard. There are some good videos you can get from Crazy Crow and other place that show you how. Make a few pair and you will begin to get the hang of it.

No disrespect intended, but if you're not dressing out, why the mocs? It is rather unusual to wear mocs with street clothes at a powwow. Also, please lose the commercial-made high tops. At least out here in powwow country, nothing says Crop Circle tribe like a pair of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                And don't forget the bone choker.

Over in the biking forums, they put a +1 if they agree with the poster.

+1
                +1

2 phunknee JD!!

Have u been 2 the The Showdown Forum ??

Comment

Edit
                  Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 09:33 PM.
                  Agent of Chaos

Comment

What powwow is this anyway, where all the people are wearing these minnetonka mocs?

Comment

Edit
                      Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM.
                      Agent of Chaos

Comment

i think you should wear the real ones. Then when someone asks "what kind of moccsins are those?", you can say "they are Ojibwa which I am part of":

Ojibwe makers construct their moccasins with a central seam running from the top of the toe back across the vamp. Ojibwe vamps are characteristically small and puckered, and the term “Ojibwe,” translated as “puckered up,” may refer to this style of moccasin. An Ojibwe artist, perhaps from the Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation, made this pair for the donor's father when the family was living in Stone Lake, Wisconsin.

Comment

Find dancers' moms. They usually bead their childrens regalias. Ask them how much they would charge but make sure you give an offering when you ask. Good luck!

Comment

Everyones moccasins look so beautiful. It must take forever to bead. It looks difficult and yes probably very expensive. My regalia has no beading of any kind. Just shells and furs lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                              It's a Florida Pow-Wow. In fact, the next one is next month, so I'll be sure to get some pictures of that.

But yeah, everyone wears either the ankle-high Minnetonkas or the knee-highs.

However, I saw two Natives in full regalia wearing beaded Lakota moccasins.
                              You saw 2 Natives in regalia? A whole 2? That was it?...'splains everything.

Nice Mocs Techno!

Comment

^^ Lol, I didn't want to say it Suzze.
                                Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.