Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Native Americans be patriotic towards America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Native Americans be patriotic towards America?

Edit
    Last edited by Wolfn; 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM.
    Agent of Chaos

Be prepared for the firestorm from this post... Do you realize how many veterans there are on these threads?? I'm gonna go sit over there and watch.
    Last edited by soopashinaab; 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM.
    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
      Considering the genocide and injustices done to Native Americans for hundreds of years, should Native Americans be patriotic towards America?
      I'm starting to think that we need to be careful with this one. We may have another case where this individual doesn't understand how the people on this site operate ("ndn humor") and what they should or should not do. I'm not going to play along anymore.

Comment

so I think if you want patriotic srvice and all that, you posted this in the wrong place bud......repost your thread in the War Discussion and I'm sure you'll get all the answers you want and then some.....for now, I'll wait till you put your foot in your mouth before I subject myself to answering this question.
        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

the 4 generations of men and women veterans in my family believe so, and so do I. Especially the two nephews that are in Iraq now...we will never stop fighting for our country

Comment

Considering the genocide and injustices done to Native Americans for hundreds of years, should Native Americans be patriotic towards America?
            Can you give a few examples of why The Indigenlous Ones should not be patriotic to the Land of Their Grandfather's?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

the traditional warriors in my husbands family would say no. I respect veterns for fighting to protect. Weather they fight in a us/canada army to protect from the outside, or our traditional warriors fighting here at home. But proud of the us or canada? Nope, they are not my nations, or my husbands or our childrens. They can do what they like but once we call ourselves americans or canadians they have won. I know not all share this view. Not all my friends do. That is OK. I think this can be about patrotism without being about who we respect. If people word their opinions thoughtfully, and read others without taking words and twisting them. Lets see if we can respect each other as much as the Nations whome we feel patriotic towards.

Comment

in response to suzzeq....I'm an American....proud of it, but I don't believe that I was competing with the Nation as to who my citizenship or patriotism reflected on....so I don't understand how they could have won?....dont' remember that part, but I am what I am.......an American citizen. I do what I do, with the same free will and choice that is granted upon all people. Granteed that is your opinion and your view but I jsut don't understand. Sounds very reminiscent of what black people say....that because they were slaves a long time ago, that they are entitled to something, I believe in that although our people a loooooong time ago suffered inexcusable atrocities, we should be working on bettering ourselves instead of living in the past.....nothing good ever came from the past except the mistakes we have to learn from.
                Last edited by 50cal; 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM.
                sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Originally posted by 50cal View Post
                  ...I believe in that although our people a loooooong time ago suffered inexcusable atrocities, we should be working on bettering ourselves instead of living in the past.....nothing good ever came from the past except the mistakes we have to learn from.

*applause*

Comment

in response to suzzeq....I'm an American....proud of it, but I don't believe that I was competing with the Nation as to who my citizenship or patriotism reflected on....so I don't understand how they could have won?....dont' remember that part, but I am what I am.......an American citizen. I do what I do, with the same free will and choice that is granted upon all people. Granteed that is your opinion and your view but I jsut don't understand. Sounds very reminiscent of what black people say....that because they were slaves a long time ago, that they are entitled to something, I believe in that although our people a loooooong time ago suffered inexcusable atrocities, we should be working on bettering ourselves instead of living in the past.....nothing good ever came from the past except the mistakes we have to learn from.
                    Good words Mr. 50cal, and thank you again for doing what you do.
                    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Keep doing what you're doing. You have this old man's respect.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Dang 50..... I'm moved!!!!

OK Wolfin... on to another ridiculous topic...LOL!

Comment

I guess I'm just a little confused by this poster's intent in what they post.

It's almost like they're looking for a handbook on how to be an NDN.

Do I grow my hair?
                          What do I wear to a dance?
                          Should I be patriotic?

If you're looking for an instruction manual I doubt you will find one here.

As far as the actual topic - I am patriotic toward my country. I have the utmost respect for all who are serving or have served (including my father) to keep this country safe.

Does that mean I agree with all of the policies that our government puts forth? Definitely not. Didn't in the previous administration and certainly don't in this one. That doesn't dampen my patriotism. My family has been in this place for centuries and saw different flags raised over their territory. As was said living in the past does nothing good. Asking this question is like asking someone of African-American heritage if they could be patriotic when some of their ancestors were slaves. How many of those men and women have served with distinction to keep us safe?

Comment

I wouldn't even begin to think I could speak for ALL Native peoples but I can speak for this one....and I say yes!
                            As stated before, I have heard my mother and relatives speak of eating in allies because they had to be served from the back door of a restaurant. I've heard and read how the gov't dealt, in bad faith, with our tribe regarding lands, annuities, etc. This is OUR Country and it is run by a gov't that treated and dealt with our ancestors badly....but I choose not to harbour that anger in my heart.

The Otoe Missouria people have fought for the U.S. gov't since the Civil War, almost 150 years, all foes, foreign and domestic....regardless how they were treated back then.

Traditions.....keep them and keep them sacred!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Comment

t is with national pride I create this page about America's Patriotic Symbols. ... so he felt the flag should have a smaller Union Jack in one corner, ..... But that changed when the granite towards the lower part of the mountain proved ... another monument is being carved to pay tribute to the Native Americans.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X