Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Native Americans be patriotic towards America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
    If Natives should forget the genocide that happened, should Jews forget the Holocaust?
    Forget who said anyone has forgotten? The reminder is all around us every where we go!!
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Here I thought the Boyscouts were the enemy.
      Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

i was talking to my white freind the other day and he's a christian freak always preaching..he had a good point..he said it could have been alot worse people that conqured us.all in all we should be thankful we live in the best country on earth..we are free people and freedom isnt free!! it's a great honor to fight and be a warrior.. we make songs,have dances for our warriors because it's a great thing that they do..lay their lives down for all people..so yes iam patriotic because it could have been North korea that conquered us...
        from da 406 to the 509 and every 49, it's all fine in da 09

Comment

Yup, we could all be speaking French or Spanish!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
            the traditional warriors in my husbands family would say no. I respect veterns for fighting to protect. Weather they fight in a us/canada army to protect from the outside, or our traditional warriors fighting here at home. But proud of the us or canada? Nope, they are not my nations, or my husbands or our childrens. They can do what they like but once we call ourselves americans or canadians they have won. I know not all share this view. Not all my friends do. That is OK. I think this can be about patrotism without being about who we respect. If people word their opinions thoughtfully, and read others without taking words and twisting them. Lets see if we can respect each other as much as the Nations whome we feel patriotic towards.
            Consider this

My ancestors were not Americans they were considered Savages by the Americans. My ancestors were never Americans until it was forced upon us now we have Reservations that we were forced on. We have enough on our plate and on or in our separate nations; I fight for the rights of my native peoples and let the American deal with their battles. I don't condemn our troops they have a reason to defend America. Should native people be forced to be patriotic towards America hmmmm..well we were not accepted as citizens until 1924 so let’s see here my mother was not considered American until that year meaning all she ever grew up knowing was that she was native and not white it was shoved in her face many of times so how can you expect the many many of us out here to feel patriotic...........You wanna know what we had to fight for being native.... how about our sanity... constantly being ridiculed about our drunk people how we are no good unless we are dead. this negative attitude still exists in rural areas when we go to town to shop we are made fun of and for a white kid who never ever seen a Indian in his entire life points at you and says mama look at the Indian and smiles and smirks like we are some type of fallen alien
            Native American Policy
            Native American Policy - MSN Encarta

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingWaterWI View Post
              Consider this

My ancestors were not Americans they were considered Savages by the Americans. My ancestors were never Americans until it was forced upon us now we have Reservations that we were forced on. We have enough on our plate and on or in our separate nations; I fight for the rights of my native peoples and let the American deal with their battles. I don't condemn our troops they have a reason to defend America. Should native people be forced to be patriotic towards America hmmmm..well we were not accepted as citizens until 1924 so let’s see here my mother was not considered American until that year meaning all she ever grew up knowing was that she was native and not white it was shoved in her face many of times so how can you expect the many many of us out here to feel patriotic...........You wanna know what we had to fight for being native.... how about our sanity... constantly being ridiculed about our drunk people how we are no good unless we are dead. this negative attitude still exists in rural areas when we go to town to shop we are made fun of and for a white kid who never ever seen a Indian in his entire life points at you and says mama look at the Indian and smiles and smirks like we are some type of fallen alien
              Native American Policy
              Native American Policy - MSN Encarta
              What this is getting @ is should we be patriotic after our anscestors have been treated like **** by pretty much evreyone and us being pretty much 2nd class citizens
              from da 406 to the 509 and every 49, it's all fine in da 09

Comment

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                What this is getting @ is should we be patriotic after our anscestors have been treated like **** by pretty much evreyone and us being pretty much 2nd class citizens

Basically it don't matter what some or any of us Native Tribal Members say we have been down these long drawn out conversations before in my time and in my grandmothers day as a kid and so on .... Our views and our reasonings are through different eyes and mindset. Over and over we tell our side of the story and over and over thier will still be some who will not understand. Then thier are those non=natives who do understand why some Native people choose not to be patriotic.. Geesh I know white people who are not patriotic why don't we ask them how come they arnt? I feel verry ill when I think of all the lost vets over these last 8 years really sad... Our poor mother earth has been through a tidal wave of blood shed...

Comment

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                  Yup, we could all be speaking French or Spanish!!!!
                  It should have been the french. Everybody has whooped the french so you know we could too. Le p.u.!

Comment

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                    i was talking to my white freind the other day and he's a christian freak always preaching..he had a good point..he said it could have been alot worse people that conqured us.all in all we should be thankful we live in the best country on earth..we are free people and freedom isnt free!! it's a great honor to fight and be a warrior.. we make songs,have dances for our warriors because it's a great thing that they do..lay their lives down for all people..so yes iam patriotic because it could have been North korea that conquered us...

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
                    However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !

Comment

Basically it don't matter what some or any of us Native Tribal Members say we have been down these long drawn out conversations before in my time and in my grandmothers day as a kid and so on .... Our views and our reasonings are through different eyes and mindset. Over and over we tell our side of the story and over and over thier will still be some who will not understand. Then thier are those non=natives who do understand why some Native people choose not to be patriotic.. Geesh I know white people who are not patriotic why don't we ask them how come they arnt? I feel verry ill when I think of all the lost vets over these last 8 years really sad... Our poor mother earth has been through a tidal wave of blood shed...
                      Hi LaughingWaterWI, I have thought about what you have said.I have reviewed your comments.Take a look at your last sentence.Go ahead and read it out loud to yourself.

OK,yes our mother earth has seen so much bloodshed.You're whole comment has negative overtones.I'am with you 100%.Can we change any of it?? No we cannot. Shall we pass down to our children and grandchildren all of this negativity or hatred.All hatred does is bring on more bloodshed.Have we really solved anything.No we have not.If I remember correctly "our mother earth has seen so much bloodshed."
                      I for one would like you to be the LaughingWaterWI that you are.I would goes as far as saying you are really a good person deep inside.LaughingWater,Let it go.....Let it go.....
                      Let it go.....We cannot change what has happened in the past but we can change hopefully for the better our future.What happens to any of us gives us character, it makes us who we are, through the good times or the bad.We are who we are and no one can take that away from us.
                      The ones who make fun of us,its just plain ignorance whether they are black or white...green or purple.Hold your head up and be proud.

This comment was not intended to be fecitious or to get you upset and if it did I apologize.Please forgive me.Perhaps think about it for awhile.I hope this has helped. Have a great weekend, Harland Jones Commanche/ Cherokee
                      Last edited by Harland Jones; 10-24-2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harland Jones View Post
                        Hi LaughingWaterWI, I have thought about what you have said.I have reviewed your comments.Take a look at your last sentence.Go ahead and read it out loud to yourself.

OK,yes our mother earth has seen so much bloodshed.You're whole comment has negative overtones.I'am with you 100%.Can we change any of it?? No we cannot. Shall we pass down to our children and grandchildren all of this negativity or hatred.All hatred does is bring on more bloodshed.Have we really solved anything.No we have not.If I remember correctly "our mother earth has seen so much bloodshed."
                        I for one would like you to be the LaughingWaterWI that you are.I would goes as far as saying you are really a good person deep inside.LaughingWater,Let it go.....Let it go.....
                        Let it go.....We cannot change what has happened in the past but we can change hopefully for the better our future.What happens to any of us gives us character, it makes us who we are, through the good times or the bad.We are who we are and no one can take that away from us.
                        The ones who make fun of us,its just plain ignorance whether they are black or white...green or purple.Hold your head up and be proud.

This comment was not intended to be fecitious or to get you upset and if it did I apologize.Please forgive me.Perhaps think about it for awhile.I hope this has helped. Have a great weekend, Harland Jones Commanche/ Cherokee
                        Thank you Harland for your concern on JUST LETTING IT GO, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                        Ya… I know how it goes but nobody can walk in someone else’s shoes.. what I write is not negative it is the truth, yes some is in the past and a lot of it still exists in the present. I don't hate Harland but find that people forget WHY so many natives feel the way they do...I don't dwell on the past but I will say this.. We as Native Peoples have walked hard roads.. reservation life and poverty is not like the perfect world or the same world that others live in the city or suburbs.. When you step off the reservation and go to town it's rather degrading how your treated.. how our children are treated.. In 1999 a Native center where I worked at, discussed these issues and put together a ... workshops on diversity because it was so bad that you could not get housing or a job .. this Harland is not hate it is facts.. I'm not trying to make excuses or to offend anyone we Native peoples are very talented, we have brains and our children deserve to be treated fairly.. Believe me I have worked with many non natives I could mention a few one is Twocooks she was just a genuine good hearted person that volunteered a lot of time for good causes... Harland I have spent many many hours from helping with dinners for the elders at thanksgiving, helping domestic violence issues, holding women’s talking feather group, visiting our elders in nursing homes rescuing moms and children.. it's never ending ....Yes Harland I have a heart and so do you some things can't be shoved under the rug and pretend it never happened. You are right tho I tend to go a bit overboard lol it's that time of year October its a touchy month Please understand through some of my posts that it Pain and hurt never go away we can try to forget and forgive and enjoy by helping other to understand why… I really don’t enjoy talking about issues like this because it is true Negativity is strong .. I do know where your going with that .. Thanks Harland for your concern you have calmed down an Me-de-mo-gay; Old woman you have a great weekend too. Migwitch thank you

Comment

Thank you Harland for your concern on JUST LETTING IT GO, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                          Ya… I know how it goes but nobody can walk in someone else’s shoes.. what I write is not negative it is the truth, yes some is in the past and a lot of it still exists in the present. I don't hate Harland but find that people forget WHY so many natives feel the way they do...I don't dwell on the past but I will say this.. We as Native Peoples have walked hard roads.. reservation life and poverty is not like the perfect world or the same world that others live in the city or suburbs.. When you step off the reservation and go to town it's rather degrading how your treated.. how our children are treated.. In 1999 a Native center where I worked at, discussed these issues and put together a ... workshops on diversity because it was so bad that you could not get housing or a job .. this Harland is not hate it is facts.. I'm not trying to make excuses or to offend anyone we Native peoples are very talented, we have brains and our children deserve to be treated fairly.. Believe me I have worked with many non natives I could mention a few one is Twocooks she was just a genuine good hearted person that volunteered a lot of time for good causes... Harland I have spent many many hours from helping with dinners for the elders at thanksgiving, helping domestic violence issues, holding women’s talking feather group, visiting our elders in nursing homes rescuing moms and children.. it's never ending ....Yes Harland I have a heart and so do you some things can't be shoved under the rug and pretend it never happened. You are right tho I tend to go a bit overboard lol it's that time of year October its a touchy month Please understand through some of my posts that it Pain and hurt never go away we can try to forget and forgive and enjoy by helping other to understand why… I really don’t enjoy talking about issues like this because it is true Negativity is strong .. I do know where your going with that .. Thanks Harland for your concern you have calmed down an Me-de-mo-gay; Old woman you have a great weekend too. Migwitch thank you
                          Thank you also for your great concern for so many others. Together we can both set a good example for so many more and make this mother earth a lot better place.

I have done similiar charities repair homes,feed the hungry, work in clothes closets.Its that time of year when we need to focus on others.It comes back to us in a good way ten fold. Don't give up and I won't either.Let me know how things are going or just to say Hi !!!! I could tell in your last comment you felt better.I'am grateful you vented and we can discuss it here. Instead of letting it all get built up.See I feel better already, I hope you do to.Have a good one whats left. We'll talk later. Harland Jones
                          PS You're not old just getting better. LOL LOL Take care. Harland Jones
                          Last edited by Harland Jones; 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Real Indianz thank those who walked before us......... for protecting our rights and privileges to sing our songs, dance our dances and practice our ceremonial ways. Furthermore we support our troops who continue to defend what is ours and has been since all time in memorial.

Thanks 50 Cal.!!......U da man!!

Josiah....U ROCK Brotha!!
                            "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X