Need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice!

Hey everybody. I've got a bit of a problem... So I've been cast in the lead of my schools musical WHOO!!! Problem is, the director wants me to cut my hair!!! I've tried to explain to him that hair is very important to Natives but he said "it'll grow back" or "it's just hair".

I'm kinda freaking out about this. What should I say to him? How could I convince him to let me keep my hair?

Any advice is appreciated!

Even though I'm freaking out I still want to ask...

How's everybody doing today?
    It is what it is. I am who I am. I say what I say. I think what I think. I love what I love.

Ummm...NO! There are laws against making Natives cut their hair...which is why I think my ex grew his long.

Of course, this varies from area to area, and just google it and you'll see many Natives that are bucking the system to keep their hair long.

Congrats on getting the lead, but this may be a place where you want to fight for your right to keep your hair long. Just be nice about it and educate your director.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

First, congrats on getting the lead!

If long hair is unacceptable to the director, is it a possible for you to wear a short hair/bald wig? Or, depending on the musical, a hat?

+++++++++++

As for convincing your director...well,

If you were a Muslim female, would the director insist that you remove your head covering? If you were a Jewish male, would the director insist you remove your yarmulke? Or would the director say "No Muslims or Jews in my productions?" In such cases, "It's just a scarf," or "It's just a hat," wouldn't be acceptable responses from the director. You could try and make the argument that hair for you falls into the same category as those two examples.

+++++++++++

More drastically, weigh how important both the lead role and your hair is to you. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made for matters of principle. In years past I've had to turn down opportunities that would've required me to shave my beard (a religious requirement for me). Ask yourself which is more important to you, your hair or the lead role. The answer will guide you in how to proceed.

Good luck/Break a leg!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinkala View Post
        Hey everybody. I've got a bit of a problem... So I've been cast in the lead of my schools musical WHOO!!! Problem is, the director wants me to cut my hair!!! I've tried to explain to him that hair is very important to Natives but he said "it'll grow back" or "it's just hair".

I'm kinda freaking out about this. What should I say to him? How could I convince him to let me keep my hair?

Any advice is appreciated!

Even though I'm freaking out I still want to ask...

How's everybody doing today?
        By him saying its just hair tells it all. Educate him as to why we grow our hair long. By no means cut it that has happond way to much to us to those who had no choice . You have one .
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Remind him of his cultural insensitivity, today is a time of being culturally sensitive. If it doesn't help take it to his superiors, I'm assuming you are on Pine Ridge? Remind them that hair neither helps you nor hinders you to perform better but if it is a matter of safety you will be glad to put it up, but I'm sure that the leading lady probably has hair somewhere close to your length, and I'm sure it's not an issue for her correct?

I know it will be hard but refrain from using statements, like, would growing some hair make you feel less (insert nationality here; white, Chinese, Hispanic, etc, etc, etc)" Or, "You do know where you are right?" Jus a little humor eh? You gotta look mean or people won't respect you. White people will run all over you if you don't look mean. You gotta look like a warrior! You gotta look like you just came back from killing a buffalo! YEH! LOL

Comment

Here is Zeke's answer..."Cut it off and bow to the white father. Not really. Zeke says hair doesn't make you NDN.

I say..tell the director to shove it up his keister! At 57 years old and having hair past my shoulders for over 40 of those years, it's about your ethics and beliefs. I was asked one time, while working on the oil platforms in the ocean, what would be my answer if it came down to my hair or my job. Without hesitation, I said get a chopper and take me off the platform.

But that's just me.

Sorry RDNKJ, but I don't agree with wearing a short haired wig. That is the same as conforming to the anglo standard of what a 'man' should look like. Just another way our cultures disagree. It's all good.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Thank you everyone who gave me advice I'll see him today and look him in the eye and tell him what's up (still being respectful though)
              It is what it is. I am who I am. I say what I say. I think what I think. I love what I love.

Comment

Thank you everyone who gave me advice I'll see him today and look him in the eye and tell him what's up (still being respectful though)
                Just remember to be stoic, like a real NDN. ROTFLOL.

Comment

Originally posted by rezrazed View Post
                  I'm assuming you are on Pine Ridge?
                  Naw, you're gonna laugh but I'm in Indiana. There's a whole backstory as to why.

Never go to Indiana, it might have Indian in it... but it's a terrible place for Natives.

Thank you for the advice, I gotta get that warrior face on!!!

Comment

Just remember to be stoic, like a real NDN. ROTFLOL.
                    Why did Smoke Signals come to mind? Aye!

Comment

Naw, you're gonna laugh but I'm in Indiana. There's a whole backstory as to why.

Never go to Indiana, it might have Indian in it... but it's a terrible place for Natives.

Thank you for the advice, I gotta get that warrior face on!!!
                      Why did Smoke Signals come to mind? Aye!
                      Because that's where both of those lines came from. LOL

I think from now on I'll greet you like
                      Heeeeeeeeeey Cinkaaaaalaaaaa.

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                        Ummm...NO! There are laws against making Natives cut their hair...which is why I think my ex grew his long.

Of course, this varies from area to area, and just google it and you'll see many Natives that are bucking the system to keep their hair long.

Congrats on getting the lead, but this may be a place where you want to fight for your right to keep your hair long. Just be nice about it and educate your director.
                        Thank you for the advice. What should I say to educate him?

Comment

Because that's where both of those lines came from. LOL

I think from now on I'll greet you like
                          Heeeeeeeeeey Cinkaaaaalaaaaa.
                          Do it! Lol

Comment

My answer would be hell no, I'm glad that you are going to stand up to him. Please share with him why it is inappropriate to even make such a request. I agree with you [MENTION=21858]Joe's Dad[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
                              First, congrats on getting the lead!

If long hair is unacceptable to the director, is it a possible for you to wear a short hair/bald wig? Or, depending on the musical, a hat?

+++++++++++

As for convincing your director...well,

If you were a Muslim female, would the director insist that you remove your head covering? If you were a Jewish male, would the director insist you remove your yarmulke? Or would the director say "No Muslims or Jews in my productions?" In such cases, "It's just a scarf," or "It's just a hat," wouldn't be acceptable responses from the director. You could try and make the argument that hair for you falls into the same category as those two examples.

+++++++++++

More drastically, weigh how important both the lead role and your hair is to you. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made for matters of principle. In years past I've had to turn down opportunities that would've required me to shave my beard (a religious requirement for me). Ask yourself which is more important to you, your hair or the lead role. The answer will guide you in how to proceed.

Good luck/Break a leg!!!

Thank you very much

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X