No announcement yet.

Need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to assume since it's a school production that the "director" is either a teacher or a parent volunteer.

I'm pretty sure as it is up here, that schools/school personnel can not force or knowingly alter the appearance of a student without parental permission or that a college or university level can not mandate a student to alter their appearance either. Check your school's policies on human rights etc...

I'm not sure I can agree with the no wig comment as theatre, stage, TV and films are about make believe and the suspension of disbelief. If the character is portrayed as a blonde and the actor cast for it has black hair then donning a blonde wig isn't a social commentary about the actor but about the character... the actor when they remove the blonde wig is still the same actor with black hair...nothing changes there.

I guess if you aren't a method actor, then whether you get right into your role via personal changes and adaptations isn't going to matter to you... lots of actors aren't method actors - that's why there are makeup artists and wig keepers.

Think of it this way, if the role was say for an alien creature and you had to be covered with latex scales and stuff... would being NDN really matter? If this character has short hair, then wear a wig... or have the hair stylist do something creative with your longer hair... I have hair down to my mid back and every day I have to pin it up under my beret to go to work... from behind I meet the hair above the collar regs every time... it's not that hard to do... lol
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

No worries, [MENTION=21858]Joe's Dad[/MENTION]. I was just offering different possibilities. Everybody gotta make their own decisions.

sigpic

Comment

If you want to be a white man in a white man's play, cut your hair. If not, change schools and move out of the state.
        Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Originally posted by Cinkala View Post
          Thank you for the advice. What should I say to educate him?
          1. Natives grown their hair long for a lot of reasons, some of which are spiritual. Then tell him why having long hair is important to you.

2. There are laws and policies that allow Natives to keep their hair long, even in dangerous industries as long as it's tied back. And yeah, if the character requires short hair, there are always WIGS.

3. Natives have been forced to cut their hair many times in the past, and now are fighting back. There's several articles regarding this:
          http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...74-504083.html
          http://www.houstonpress.com/2008-07-...-length-rules/
          http://paganwiccan.about.com/b/2009/...-long-hair.htm
          http://www.nativeamericannetroots.ne.../601/long-hair

4. According to this article http://corefreedom.com/threads/why-n...ieve-this.250/ there are studies that show diminished 'powers' in guys that cut their hair. HELLO...SAMSON!!

5. Cuz the CHICKS DIG IT!!!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
            5. Cuz the CHICKS DIG IT!!!
            Not in Indiana they don't lol
            It is what it is. I am who I am. I say what I say. I think what I think. I love what I love.

Comment

If it's instrumental to the character, I say that you cut your hair if you want an accurate portrayal of the part. (If it's not, I don't know why you were asked?)

Hamlet, for example, I think would be fine played with long hair. Gus Grissom (famous for a flat top)? Not so much.

Either way, it's your call but I don't think -- character dependent -- it smacked of disrespect to be asked.

Comment

I believe most people will advise you to disregard the last post. LOL

So how did you make out? I hope you stuck to your guns and got the part because you earned it.

Comment

He's getting me a wig!!!
                  It is what it is. I am who I am. I say what I say. I think what I think. I love what I love.

Comment

He's getting me a wig!!!
                    Cool beans, yo.

Comment

[MENTION=21858]Joe's Dad[/MENTION] and [MENTION=84416]KewlMohawkGirl[/MENTION] I know you don't like the idea of a wig. I understand but it he flat out told me "it's either a wig or cut". It was just a pros versus cons senario.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                        Cool beans, yo.
                        Thank you Zeke.

Comment

[MENTION=21858]Joe's Dad[/MENTION] and [MENTION=84416]KewlMohawkGirl[/MENTION] I know you don't like the idea of a wig. I understand but it he flat out told me "it's either a wig or cut". It was just a pros versus cons senario.
                          That is great. I'm not opposed to the wig but I sure as heck would have told him where to go if he said your hair had to go. Congrats on getting the lead role!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KewlMohawkGirl View Post
                              That is great. I'm not opposed to the wig but I sure as heck would have told him where to go if he said your hair had to go. Congrats on getting the lead role!
                              Thank you very much!

Comment

He's getting me a wig!!!
                                Cool! Glad it worked out for you!
                                sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X