recommend some books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend some books

so i was in abarnes & noble looking for something to read and i came across the "native american section"... which was like 2 shelves.
    and i was really disappointed at the new age crap that was mixed into that section.
    anyway.... i'm still looking for something good to read.
    any books you'd recommend?
    There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

I would recommend:

Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes, by Carl Waldman.

I used this book like a bible when I worked as a researcher.

It gives phonetic and different spellings for tribal names. The historical information is pretty good. So is the current information about contemporary issues and leaders. In several cases it tells what language family a tribe belongs to and what other tribes are similar or affiliated.

Good stuff!
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Fools Crow
      sigpic

Comment

"Prison Writings" by Leonard Peltier, or "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse" If your looking for something Fictional I suggest anything by Sherman Alexie, or Louise Erdrich, or N. Scott Momaday who writes more nonfiction I think, but still, all excellent authors.
        "As your children want to become doctors and lawyers, they may find it difficult. They may hear 'well, your parents were in a terrorist group/ We tell you that now, so you understand it. Tell your children to tell their children this [Wounded Knee 1973] was a very proud moment. Wear that history like a badge of honor. We will never, ever say we were sorry we did it." Dennis Banks, AIM

"Everything that has ever happened to us is there to make us stronger." John Trudell

You gotta say it right "Pahk tha cah in Havid yahd! "

Comment

thanks, i'll check them out

Comment

Good Books

Love's Soft Voice is a really good book. Check out the website at Welcome To Ruby's Books.
            "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."---Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

"Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown is very good.
              "The Wisdom of the Native Americans" has some great speeches of Chief Red Jacket, Chief Joseph, and Chief Seattle and other writings.
              "American Indian Myths and Legends" was very interesting, has different tribes.
              "Other Council Fires Were Here Before Ours" by Jamie Sams & Twylah Nitsch
              Just a few I've read, enjoy! I have also been to a Books-a-Million and they only have a few shelves also.

Comment

oh man u gotta read these books!

Originally posted by outershell View Post
                so i was in abarnes & noble looking for something to read and i came across the "native american section"... which was like 2 shelves.
                and i was really disappointed at the new age crap that was mixed into that section.
                anyway.... i'm still looking for something good to read.
                any books you'd recommend?
                yeah...the whole two shelves on natives...pretty sick n wrong I tell you. Anyways, I think that the books by Carlos Casteneda are very neato. They are life-changing books for realz. Also, a book called From the Heart edited by Amy Miller (I think that is her name) is definitely a good book that tells Native history using quotes and speeches made by Native people. It gives a unique perspective on things. Also, American Indian Myths and Legends is really good too. I don't care for the little intros and summaries by Richard Erdoes b/c of his little white man point of view, but the stories are good. hmm...I'm not too big of a fan of fiction these days but when I was, I liked sherman alexie's lone ranger and tonto fistfight in heaven. oooh and I definitely liked Talking Leaves, which is an anthology of Native stories. My favorite was The Old Marriage by Debra Earling b/c it took place on the best rez in the whole world (my rez). I also liked Deer Woman...that story was tha shiznit. anyways, I could go on and on bout books to read in any genre b/c i'm a nerd like that...so I'll just stop here w/ the recommendations. Peace.

Comment

I read at least two books a week, not real big on history I read a lot of murders and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Stands Alone View Post
                    I read at least two books a week, not real big on history I read a lot of murders and such.
                    stands,

If murder is your thing, check out Sherman Alexis' "Indian Killers."
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

yeah, I saw his name mentioned on another thread so I'm going to try and find some of his books. The way others were talking "Reservation Blues" and "Indian Killer" are recommended. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by marichriaddi View Post
                        yeah...the whole two shelves on natives...pretty sick n wrong I tell you. Anyways, I think that the books by Carlos Casteneda are very neato. They are life-changing books for realz. .......

thanks....
                        yeah i read the Casteneda books years ago.... and although they aren't factual there a a few good points in them to think about.... kinda the same thing with the super popular book that's out now "the peaceful warrior" by dan millman.... yeah, there's some good points to think about... even though they try to pass it off as a true story.

but yeah thanks for the input, i'll look up the other titles as well.

Comment

One that I enjoyed......"Neither wolf nor dog" On forgotten roads with an Indian Elder
                          by Kent Nerburn

It's a good read with some great humor..........
                          remember you are tommorow's elders

Comment

oh and another one.

counting coup by larry colton was alright. there was another book...about su ann big crow but i can't member what it was called. the autobiography by russell means was pretty good. lakota woman was good. i'm really n2 nonfiction stuff. I like some native stuff too but...gosh it's always so dang sad, angry, serious or whatever so I kinda don't read a lot of it either. i like contemporary stories too. some of the fiction I liked was written by Louise Erdrich and definitely Perma Red by Debra Earling. those ladies know how to tell a goot story. someday, I'ma write some books and I'm going to tell my sob story about how hard it is to be a Native in post-colonial America but i'm going to at least make it funny...GEEZ! lol. look out for it at a bookstore near you in 2012. yeez.
                            PeaCe.

Comment

the prison writings book just came...
                              i'm all excited

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.