Sci-Fi movie discussion board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photon Lamepedos

This isn't a movie but a show. More of a gripe but I need to get this off my chest. Has anyone ever seen that short lived saturday morning series from the mid 80's called PHOTON? It was kind of a rip off of The Last Starfighter, in that it was a young human male fighting aliens along side a mixture of alien and robotic companions.

I personally thought that that series was so super lame! But it was on at like 6 am and was the only thing on before the real good toons aired.

Ok i'm done, I just had to get that off my chest. I was reminded of that appaling show last night while watching BIG.

Peace
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crazywolf View Post
      Hey,

You know Arnold Swartzenager did a stent in the sci fi genre for a while. There was Total Recall, and also Running Man. Of the two Running Man was probably the better one. It was not so much on the special effects, had a good plot that was easy to understand, and had some good action and one liners.

Total Recall was a little harder to understand. I actually read the graphic novel before I saw the movie, so I had no problem understanding the plot, but my dad had to watch it twice to get the gist of it. It had better special effects than running man, cutting edge for the day.

Derek

I really dug Running Man. I believe it was based off a Stephen King short story or novella. Very same Puertorican chick was his co-star in it as Total Recall. Cept she was more bada$$ in Total Recal.

Running Man was just plain better.
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'll chime in, having been a huge fan of sci-fi/fantasy since back in the 50's. Derek, I was a big fan of Babylon 5 too, really involved plots and great writing and acting. I think aside from the special effects alot of movies and series depend on, character development and writing are what I find compelling. My other fav tv shows have been both Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager for those reasons. I really liked the way Data came along as a character and grew. Battlestar Gallactica and Stargate SG1 are my current favorites, with Stargate Atlantis a close third.

I don't think anything comes close to touching the Lord of the Rings trilogy for fantasy, but you gotta see the director's cut, anywhere from 45 minutes to almost an hour of extra footage per film, almost another whole film in that alone for the three.

As far as older films, there was one made the year I was born (good year btw, lol), The Day the Earth Stood Still, and it still holds the test of time, can't beat that interesting music using a theremin, invented around 1920, played by waving one's hands around it for pitch. I like the message in the film too.

From the 70's there's a great John Boorman film (who directed Excalibur, also a fringe fantasy type film that's good, also directed other films such as Hell in the Pacific and Deliverance) called Zardoz, I highly recommend it. Just seeing a long braided Sean Connery is worth it, you'll either love it or maybe hate it, I think it's a really great film personally.

I really liked Blade Runner also, interesting view of the future, but not the director's cut, I liked the Harrison Fords commentary during the film better which was cut out in the directors cut. Sometimes director's cuts are much better, sometimes not.

I'll think of more later, but that's good for a start.

Bill
        Last edited by streamhawk; 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Enemy Mine was the best sci-fi story I have ever seen.

I also loved the fifth element and watch it every time it's on tv.

As for effects, there's been a lot of slick and wonderful movies - can't think one one to narrow it down to - maybe LOTR or Eragon.

I also think the original Time machine was better then the re-make - it's one of my all time faves - cheesy effects and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Eagle View Post
            I like it alot too. Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett are great in that. "Dis my face. Dat you face. You ugly face".

I thought of another good fantasy film, well, three actually, all by the same director, Terry Gilliam, the american of Monty Python. Time Bandits, the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Brazil, the last one possibly the weirdest of the three, which isn't saying the other two aren't offbeat. All three have good laughs and just bizarre enough to fit my tastes. I gotta check out this Liquid Sky, sounds like my kinda film.

Comment

I'd like to see Zardoz sometime.

Sorry ya'll for the negative attitude. I'll have to watch my tongue on here. I mean no disrespect to anyone. We all like what we like. This is a discussion and sharing forum after all.

Peace

OD
              Last edited by OneidaDreamer; 06-15-2007, 02:45 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

As for effects, there's been a lot of slick and wonderful movies - can't think one one to narrow it down to - maybe LOTR or Eragon.

I also think the original Time machine was better then the re-make - it's one of my all time faves - cheesy effects and all.
                Boozhoo niji,

I love that movie! Enemy Mine. I totally forgot about it. Louis Gossett Jr is brilliant in the movie. And it goes on one of the hardest subjects there is to bring out in a sci fi movie, and that is racism.

I totally loved Eragon. I had a friend say it was a rip off of Star Wars. The path of Eragon mirrored the path of Luke. Well... I hate to say it, but almost any movie, has a hero, that has to take a path, and that path is pretty similar to any other hero's path. I saw a lot of differences between the to, and in my opinion, the two stories are distinct and clear, and each is a great story in its own right.

I finally watched all of the Firefly DVDs. What a great series! Its one that I could watch over and over and never get tired of, those, and the companion movie Serenity. My next project will be to get the whole B 5 collection. Its expensive, but worth it.

Derek
                I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by streamhawk View Post
                  I like it alot too. Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett are great in that. "Dis my face. Dat you face. You ugly face".

I thought of another good fantasy film, well, three actually, all by the same director, Terry Gilliam, the american of Monty Python. Time Bandits, the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Brazil, the last one possibly the weirdest of the three, which isn't saying the other two aren't offbeat. All three have good laughs and just bizarre enough to fit my tastes. I gotta check out this Liquid Sky, sounds like my kinda film.
                  Yeah - Munchausen was excellent!

Comment

I haven't seen Enemy Mine yet. I hear lots of good stuff about it. I just sort of passed that one over back in the day. I'll have to get a hold of it.
                    sigpic

Comment

There is none higher than the Live Action Trans Formers The Movie.

That's all I have to say. Oh and go do yourselves a favor and go see it for yourselves, if you haven't already done so, even if you have, once isn't enough, cuz once it's gone from the theaters, it's gone brothers and sisters.

Peace
                      OD
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneidaDreamer View Post
                        There is none higher than the Live Action Trans Formers The Movie.

That's all I have to say. Oh and go do yourselves a favor and go see it for yourselves, if you haven't already done so, even if you have, once isn't enough, cuz once it's gone from the theaters, it's gone brothers and sisters.

Peace
                        OD
                        Are you saying that because they are not going to release it on DVD?

Just wondering cause I dont have any current plans to see it in the theater.

Derek
                        I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

omg you are so right Enemy Mine is the best I love that movie! and Starman is a great movie too. Now if you want to see some old timey movies go watch frankenstein meets the wolf man, Barbarella, Buck Rogers in the 25th Centry, Swamp Thing, Flash Gordon. yeah I'm that old. also Total recall was good & I loved the Fly Lost in space was ok I grew up watching the tv series, Men in Black does anyone remember Robocop?
                          now some of my favorites arn't movies but tv series like Farscape, Stargate SG1, Atlantis, & Quantum Leap. and all of the planet of the apes the orginal, I bought all of them for my son for his Birthday. yep I'm a Dorket too
                          don't you be wastin' all your money
                          on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

Check out 'Sunshine'

Pretty freakin goot stuff ya'll!

Peace
                            OD
                            sigpic

Comment

Chronicles of Riddick kicked some major @$$ in my opinion. Not the be all end all of sci-fi but very entertaining none the less. I thought the contemporary Time Machine movie was kinda sad.

Perhaps no one has seen or very few have seen The Fountain with Hugh Jackman. Not that is qualifies as a Sci-Fi film, but it had elements of it. I just found it way abstract and hard to follow. It was from the director of Requim For A Dream.

Anyone else out there see The Fountain? What did ya'll think?

Peace
                              OD
                              sigpic

Comment

A Little Dark Sci-Fi Anyone???

What did ya'll think of 'Event Horizon'?

I liked it. It was pretty boss for it's 1997 release. Blending horror and sci-fi. It has in my opinion helped an entire new paradigm become reality. Dark Sci-Fi. Also there is literature from the Black Library in the UK that is Dark Sci-Fi. It is known as

Warhammer 40,000

But that is just the name of the Universe it is set in.

Peace
                                OD
                                sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X