Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: What's your review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: What's your review?

Okay, despite the fact that Adam Beach is my baby Daddy in a parallel universe, I still believe I can review this film objectively and the film was ..........................

THA BOMB!!!!!!

Everyone (especially baby daddy) did a wonderful job although my son who's been studying acting did catch fine @$$ Eddie Spears fall out of character when he walked up the hill at Wounded Knee Creek. He said, "ma, is that the guy from Dream Keeper?" I said yes and he came back with, "he's pretty good, but he still has that gangsta walk coming up that hill. I don't think the 1890 Lakotas were gangsta." Then again, maybe they had to be to deal with them damn soldiers!
    Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

hhhmm, I didnt know what to make of it. Cuz for one, I know they didnt let the children just PICK their names in those boarding schools...not to mention that if the kids didnt cooperate they got the Holy livin SNOT beat outta them. Owno, alotta innacuracies...and such, but then in that respect its a typical hollywood movie, a romantisized inaccurate portrayal of a tragic time in history, Although I do think its STILL good that Ndn's are being put into sight. There should be more and MORE ndn movies, and or actors on the screen both BIG and Small. I thought it was SO kool when adam beach ended up on Law and order. So MORE ndn's EVERYWHERES!!!...lol.
    "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

Originally posted by Dat1NdnGuy View Post
      hhhmm, I didnt know what to make of it. Cuz for one, I know they didnt let the children just PICK their names in those boarding schools...not to mention that if the kids didnt cooperate they got the Holy livin SNOT beat outta them. Owno, alotta innacuracies...and such, but then in that respect its a typical hollywood movie, a romantisized inaccurate portrayal of a tragic time in history, Although I do think its STILL good that Ndn's are being put into sight. There should be more and MORE ndn movies, and or actors on the screen both BIG and Small. I thought it was SO kool when adam beach ended up on Law and order. So MORE ndn's EVERYWHERES!!!...lol.
      yeah, i thought about that too. i kept waiting for dude to get beat for speaking Lakota. Oh and what else was weird was when they first started ghost dancing. my son said, "that's a round dance. the round dance used to be the ghost dance?" dang, i hate it when kids see stuff we don't. to be honest, i've never seen it outside of film adaptations, so until they started doing something else that wasn't the rounddance, i just figured they had to put something in place and that maybe some of the traditional actors didn't want to do it for the camera? or was the second deal the real ghost dance?
      Poetry is life in print.

Comment

i saw the movie and was disapointed. there was a lot of stuff what was falsiefied. they used sundance and ceremonysongs as ghost dance songs. i read already several reactions in diferent forums about this movie. the nunkpapas from the standing rock rez are pretty upset that they showed sitting bull in a wrong way.
        sigpic
        greetings from the rosebud rez the home of the sicangu lakota oyate

Comment

Originally posted by sicanguwiyan View Post
          i saw the movie and was disapointed. there was a lot of stuff what was falsiefied. they used sundance and ceremonysongs as ghost dance songs. i read already several reactions in diferent forums about this movie. the nunkpapas from the standing rock rez are pretty upset that they showed sitting bull in a wrong way.
          dayum, see when we don't know each other's ways it's hard to tell. didn't they use any consultants? one of my adopted grandmas has been called upon before about Lakota stuff, wonder why they didn't call her for this. If not her, somebody.
          Poetry is life in print.

Comment

i'm not Lakota - but i love it when they put natives in movies. especially to native parts. i was wondering if this movie was worth watching. would anyone recommend it?
            SING LIKE NO ONE IS LISTENING, DANCE LIKE NO ONE IS WATHCHING, LOVE LIKE YOU'LL NEVER GET HURT, AND LIVE LIKE IT'S HEAVEN ON EARTH.

Comment

This was not the movie I expected it to be. My mom (a nice white woman) gave me this book for Christmas the year I was 10. I was expecting the movie to be more of a historical account like the book. Covering all tribes. It seemed to me to be more of an Eastman biography. Yeah, they messed up some stuff. I don't blame the Standing Rock folks for being upset. I want to see it a second time, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything.
              Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Not the movie we thought it would be

My wife and i were excited to see the movie and planned on it for a month, but after seeing it -we had no connection to it. My wife is one of the Yellewrobe decendants from wounded knee {she's Lakota} and she thought the "ghost dancing" was a round dance and that the movie didnt focus on the real meaning of the dance. It seemed like more of a Sitting Bull bio.. Where in the movie was the part that should have given us goosebumps?? All we got was road rash! AYEEEEE
                .sigpichttp://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/jwashee

Comment

Originally posted by jwashee View Post
                  My wife and i were excited to see the movie and planned on it for a month, but after seeing it -we had no connection to it. My wife is one of the Yellewrobe decendants from wounded knee {she's Lakota} and she thought the "ghost dancing" was a round dance and that the movie didnt focus on the real meaning of the dance. It seemed like more of a Sitting Bull bio.. Where in the movie was the part that should have given us goosebumps?? All we got was road rash! AYEEEEE
                  yeah i saw that round dance at first too. dang, all these northern folks coming on here and busting my bubble about how good the movie was.
                  well, i guess i have to admit it what some folks on this site already know about me.

I'd give and Oscar Mayer Weiner commercial an A+ as long as it has Adam Beach in it!
                  Poetry is life in print.

Comment

i thought the movie was great being a native seeng a modern movie that was updated not dances with wolves. But a movies that was reinacted, that actually took place to my people. This movie was very significant it just reminded me that i'm a native girl living in modern society striving to hold on to my traditions and a way of life. the actors were good!!

Comment

yeah it was ok...but is it me, or is anyone else out there tired of seeing the SAME ndnz in every movie having to do with skinz??? seems like you watch an ndn movie and you already know who gonna be in it. Gordon tootoosis, gary farmer, prolly wes studi, adam beech, tantoo cardinal..ect ect. Us as a people need more actors out there, propz to the forefathers still doing there thing like gordon tootoosis n company, but dayum!!! lets get some fresh blood out there!

now....

about the movie, the acting was ho-hum, and the portrayal was pretty inaccurate. I did like that fact that they put in the way sitting bull died, cause alot of white folks and even natives still think he either killed custer himself and died at lil big horn or something else completely...overall though...it was aight.
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Sandz View Post
                        yeah it was ok...but is it me, or is anyone else out there tired of seeing the SAME ndnz in every movie having to do with skinz??? seems like you watch an ndn movie and you already know who gonna be in it. Gordon tootoosis, gary farmer, prolly wes studi, adam beech, tantoo cardinal..ect ect. Us as a people need more actors out there, propz to the forefathers still doing there thing like gordon tootoosis n company, but dayum!!! lets get some fresh blood out there!

Dontcha know, it's not an Indin movie if everybody's not in it? I still can't believe they didn't find a part for Saginaw Grant!
                        Poetry is life in print.

Comment

Originally posted by Homalosa View Post
                          Dontcha know, it's not an Indin movie if everybody's not in it? I still can't believe they didn't find a part for Saginaw Grant!
                          lol.... yeah grants kewl but I wish I could see skinz do things like sitcoms n commercials without having to be "indian" know what I mean, we live everyday lives too and we aint always on horses with the wind blowing through our hair, hearing a flute everytime a skin enters the room...lol
                          I dunno, I think it would just be kewl if skinz got different kind of roles, action movies, dramas....stuff like that instead of always having to be cast as an outlaw ndn from the old west.

again respects to the skinz making strides in the industry,but we got a long wayz to go yet.
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Sandz View Post
                            lol.... yeah grants kewl but I wish I could see skinz do things like sitcoms n commercials without having to be "indian" know what I mean, we live everyday lives too and we aint always on horses with the wind blowing through our hair, hearing a flute everytime a skin enters the room...lol
                            I dunno, I think it would just be kewl if skinz got different kind of roles, action movies, dramas....stuff like that instead of always having to be cast as an outlaw ndn from the old west.

again respects to the skinz making strides in the industry,but we got a long wayz to go yet.
                            you are so right. what i hate is when i do skinz in mainstream roles, and they're not even playing indian roles, it's like "well duh, no wonder we're invisible, whenever we get parts outside of buckskin, we're wearing sombreros or worse, we're just cast as the "ambiguous ethnic" beige/brown/ character"
                            Poetry is life in print.

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
                              This was not the movie I expected it to be. My mom (a nice white woman) gave me this book for Christmas the year I was 10. I was expecting the movie to be more of a historical account like the book. Covering all tribes. It seemed to me to be more of an Eastman biography. Yeah, they messed up some stuff. I don't blame the Standing Rock folks for being upset. I want to see it a second time, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything.

I think if you re read the book, you would see that it is NOT a historical account, it was a book written on behalf of ONE man's perspective. Keep in mind that this ONE man was taken and raised away from his tribe when he was so young. His perspective is very different from a perspective of a man his age who lived through the early reservation years. Buy My Heart At Wounded Knee has always been just that, a perspective, and the movie was made in the same way. This movie should in no way be used as a "Historical Account", since people at that time were so traumatized, that it would have been nearly impossible to get an accurate, unbiased, accounting of that history. There were NO unbiased people present, so you are always going to get just a perspective.

I'm not trying to say that Charles Eastman's account isn't valid because he was raised in a white environment, but you would foolish to assume that it wouldn't affect his way of thinking. The book was written to show his growth and his development, and especially his conflict with two two worlds he more or less doesn't belong to. Who knows who might have sympathized with more. It was a conflict that Native people have here and there, found themselves facing.

Now, as for the movie, I think the biggest complaint that I have would be the almost embarrasing inaccuracies in the Lakota Language. Did they not even try?? And I"m kind of upset that these "seasoned actors" didn't think to take the initiative in guaranteeing at least something approaching accuracy. I started to wonder why, the native actors, at least, didn't recall their past experiences with native languages, and call for a Lakota lspeaker to at least make sure they weren't as far off as they were. I have to make this statement, no matter how much it pains me, but Dances With Wolves did an excellent job with the language, even going as far as making sure the language used was not so formal and bookish, but more familiar and casual, which is entirely appropriate. So, we know the movie industry is capable of this type of success, I just wonder why the ball was dropped in this instance.

As for the Ghost Dance, there are just some things that people still hold sacred, that might be hinted at, but not presented out there for the American public to witness, even in a movie. That is why you only see representations of certain ceremonies, or characatures of them, like in Into The West. You THINK you saw a sundance, but you saw glimpses of elements. In Thunder Heart, you THINK you saw a inipi, but you didn't. You saw a representation of one. If you THINK you saw the Ghost Dance, fine, but I'd rather have some of the desperate wannabees who seem to take their hollywood knowledge of Native culture and spirituality, mimic and recreate charactures, instead of the real thing. There are things in the Lakota Culture that those people will NEVER ever see or hear or feel. I kinda like that!

But, all in all, this movie was very interesting, but fell way short of being even a good movie, language and historical inaccuracies aside. After seeing and feeling the Wounded Knee Massacre portrayed in Into The West, this version seemed very.... um...."false". I'm starting to hope not for more Native Actors, but that the Native Actors already here would start using their hearts and respect to chose roles in movies that will stop stereotypes and myths from continuing. If they are more concientous about their choices, the movie industry will view them as real actors, actors of substance, rather than just the "Stock" indian actors that they have set themselves out to be, even unintentionally.
                              Wes Studi, Adam Beach and Graham Greene are on that path, but I think to many Natives are holding back, still trying to be the "good Indian", who doesn't rock the boat.
                              Ipsica Waci
                              Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.