Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "American" Disney Princess- Infuriating!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First "American" Disney Princess- Infuriating!

Okay, now I know the whole story about pocahontas..... blah blah blah.... and I'm not saying the media is right about most of what they say concerning customs/ history/ whatever.

BUT... disney is coming out with a new african american princess. The media is calling HER the first REAL AMERICAN disney princess. Even though we know the stories are geared towards children and aren't entirely correct, it still irritates me that they don't consider a Native princess to be the first 'real' american princess.

from Los Angeles Times:
    ""Not only is she the first black princess, she's the first American princess," Rose tells People. "We've never had an American princess. So, the scope and the significance is larger than people even realize.""
    'Dreamgirls' ' Anika Noni Rose, first black princess! | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times

from Black Enterprise:
    " Disney’s first American princess who also happens to be its first black princess"
    BLACK ENTERPRISE Disney Unveils Its First Black Princess

not to add to ure fustration . . . but HELLOO!! native ppl have never had a "princess" or "prince" . . . so why get all worked up over it

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Woman View Post
      not to add to ure fustration . . . but HELLOO!! native ppl have never had a "princess" or "prince" . . . so why get all worked up over it
      I know. I said that I realize that the media doesn't always get their facts straight. The part that angered me was the "american" part. It is a cartoon, but she is still the first american disney cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Woman View Post

Dude...ur gonna bust alot of bubbles saying NDNs didn't have 'princesses'!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Well technically when Pocahontas was living there wasn't an America yet it was still a colony. However I think the "first American princess" comment is a ploy just to sell dolls and to try and get non-black people to buy it by appealing to patriotism.
          Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Originally posted by paintedsun22 View Post
            Okay, now I know the whole story about pocahontas..... blah blah blah.... and I'm not saying the media is right about most of what they say concerning customs/ history/ whatever.

BUT... disney is coming out with a new african american princess. The media is calling HER the first REAL AMERICAN disney princess. Even though we know the stories are geared towards children and aren't entirely correct, it still irritates me that they don't consider a Native princess to be the first 'real' american princess.

from Los Angeles Times:
            ""Not only is she the first black princess, she's the first American princess," Rose tells People. "We've never had an American princess. So, the scope and the significance is larger than people even realize.""
            'Dreamgirls' ' Anika Noni Rose, first black princess! | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times

from Black Enterprise:
            " Disney’s first American princess who also happens to be its first black princess"
            BLACK ENTERPRISE Disney Unveils Its First Black Princess
            I thought it was Grace Kelly, did she not marry the Prince of Monaco??
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

princesses

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
              then why do you have them at powwow? somewhere deep in side you must want one. From what I gather you still think indians don't live in Virginia any more. One has to look though the white eyes way of seeing things. If another country oh say England, gave Pocahontas father the power to hold it would you turn it down. That's giving him high respect. In case you didn't know Powhatan was call father by all trible members. Pocahontas was Powhatan's brother daughter. Disney has the right to expand it's thinking on how things was cause no one can agree amost themself as to what really happen.

Mattaponi Indian Reservation

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X