Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breastfeeding benifits baby,mom,and community!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding benifits baby,mom,and community!

Do you know the benefits of breastfeeding? Do you know that breastfeeding lowers the risk of diabetes in mother and baby? Did you know that breastfeeding lowers mother's breast cancer risk? Did you know that breast milk contains immunities that will help baby to stay well? Did you know that breast milk changes to meet the needs of your baby from day to day?

Links
    www.ihs.gov/medicalprograms/mch/m/mchbrstfdg.asp
    www.thecirclenews.org/022002/health.html
    http://www.4women.gov/Breastfeeding/...f.cfm?page=227
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/advantages.html
    www.breastfeedingonline.com/advantages.shtml

Encourage your loved ones to breastfeed their babies. Support them any way you can. Our future depends on it!:)
    Last edited by Mazola; 07-30-2003, 10:54 PM.
    Ask me why you should breastfeed for your health, your baby's health, and for the health of the next seven generations.

Re: Breastfeeding benifits baby,mom,and community!

Originally posted by Mazola
    Do you know the benefits of breastfeeding? Do you know that breastfeeding lowers the risk of diabetes in mother and baby? Did you know that breastfeeding lowers mother's breast cancer risk? Did you know that breast milk contains immunities that will help baby to stay well? Did you know that breast milk changes to meet the needs of your baby from day to day?

Links
    www.ihs.gov/medicalprograms/mch/m/mchbrstfdg.asp
    www.thecirclenews.org/022002/health.html
    http://www.4women.gov/Breastfeeding/...f.cfm?page=227
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/advantages.html
    www.breastfeedingonline.com/advantages.shtml

Encourage your loved ones to breastfeed their babies. Support them any way you can. Our future depends on it!:)
    Excellent message Mazola. :p
    Love, peace and chicken grease...

Comment

I thought so.;)
      Thanks for your input!!
      Ask me why you should breastfeed for your health, your baby's health, and for the health of the next seven generations.

Comment

Not to mention the bondage that occurs between a mother and her child. I breastfed my son until he was 9 months old and if I ever decide to have another child...breastfeeding would be my only choice.

Comment

I can also attest to the attributes of breast feeding. I had the hardest time with my first child. He refused me one morning when he was four months old and I thought he was weening himself. Years later I learned that refusing doesn't necessarily mean the baby wants to wean. Our milk carries an after taste if we have taken medicines, or have had a drastic diet change. And some times they will refuse just because they are not hungry. I should've offered it to him more later on. His first 18 months of life was filled with ear infections that were almost too much. He was hospitalized twice.

Baby number two was weaned because at two months he had his two bottom teeth out and bit me, hard!!!!!!!!!!! :Flame :large:
          sorry, i was punk at the site of my own blood.

I finally grew up with baby number three, whom I nursed until she was 14 months. She's as strong as an ox and fights off colds better than all of us. And our bond is beyond close. The only problem I have now is that her friend still nurses pass two and so occasionally karlie will ask, "mommy, gabby has her mommy chee, chee, can I have chee chee?" She is usually okay with, "no baby, we don't nurse anymore."

So there you have my long old testimonial on breastfeeding. Guess you could call it my ten year study!

Comment

Thank you both for sharing your stories!:D
            Nativeinmt,you brought up a very good point. The bond between mom and baby is really strengthened with the breastfeeding relationship!
            Homalosa,you're story is one many women share. Here is some information on nursing strike www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html and biting www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html It is wonderful that you and your daughter continued past one year! And it is sweet that she remembers,too.:) You did a great job nursing all of your babies.

WTG mamas!!!:Angel2
            Last edited by Mazola; 05-28-2003, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Ok now, I have written this stupid message twice and each time I did not know I was not connected to the internet.

:Yell

Deep breath here.

I was trying to get on my soap box and tell you all about the wonderful time I had with breastfeeding both my children. My son is 16 and my daughter is 2.

No, I did not feed them at the same time.

My son was weaned when he was 8 months old and had canker sores, which he is till plagued with today.

My daughter just got weaned 3 months ago. Weaning was tough on both her and I.

I have known the benefits of breastfeeding and chose to do it with encouragement from the health care professions.

Oh and its cheeper too. The price of formula is outrageous. also dont have to sterile or boil anything.

The only thing is that for the first 4 to 6 monts prior to the babies being on solids you do have to watch what you eat because it can cause the babies to be very gassy and you dont get much sleep. Usually the culprits are chocolate, onions, coffee, garlic and for me it was any kind of cabbage family, ie broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, or cauliflower.

As for teething, I yelled the first time (it hurt) and startled her. I believe that this can stop the baby from doing it but it gets loud and old. Pinching the babies cheek when they bite is quite effective. They will cry but after a few times they get the message and stop. One mother I knew simply told the child to stop and immediately stopped feeding the baby. She would offer the breast a few minutes later and would stop feeding again, say stop, when the baby bit. The baby did also learn not to bite.

I am a nurse and work with other nurses. I learned that although the health care profession does promote breastfeeding, the nurses did not always encourage me. Some expressed disgust with feeding, some thought that six months was more than enough and almost all thought that I should not have been feeding past one year.

I dont listen real well to my co-workers. I did what was best for me and her.

Enjoy your time with your babies ladies, cause now, she's "DADDY"S girl.

:)

Comment

Our ancestors breast-fed their babies...I will be breast-feeding my baby.

Comment

I regret not breastfeeding

Dayuumm dr's kept me from breastfeeding my 2nd child, sticking all kinds of iv's with different antibiotics, etc, but the dr's also saved my life after i delivered my 2nd child. I wish i was given that opportunity tho, I regret it, I was not able to stay with my baby after I delivered him, I for that fact, don't even remember holding him for the first time after delivering him, so ladies out there, future mothers-to-be, breast feed your babies, let them know you love and care for them, I myself, love my baby and care for him a great deal, but at times I feel like he does not know who his mommy is because I did not bond with him in breastfeeding. :(

Comment

northerndngrl,
                    Good for you!! It's one decision you will NEVER regret making. Breastfeeding is a beautiful experience.:) When the time comes,you can find lots of info and support at www.lalecheleague.org There you'll find answers to every possible question you could have,a place to find a La Leche League Leader near you,as well as a message board and online chats.:D

luvlybutterfly,
                    I'm so sorry for your experience.:( Did anyone try to help you breastfeed after you came around,or did the hospital staff discourage it?

Comment

Maybe

Maybe when I have kids I might nurse.
                      If I have kids.
                      For now my nieces and nephews are my kids.
                      I need to stay slim and I don't want stretch marks yet.

It's all about ME right now.:D
                      Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

Great topic! I breast feed all 3 kids and agree with all the points made by all you. As a nurse the importance of BFing is imperative for your infant. The convenence of the different type of pumps is a miracle for the working moms.

Comment

A little story about the recent birth of my daughter-
                          As soon as they brought me my baby I started breastfeeding her and the doctor yelled at me, "WHAT are you DOING?" I said, "Nursing my baby." But all of a sudden I pulled her off and asked 'Why?' He said, "You'll give her an infection."
                          I said, "what are you talking about?"
                          "Infections are spread through sharing bodily fluids. You might have an infection," the doctor replied.
                          Long story short, I told the doctor that my baby had just come from inside of my BODY and if there was a worry of infection, then she's already infected and the best thing for her would be to nurse since it is the colustrum that is all white-blood cells(you know, the ones that fight infection!).
                          So, I let my baby latch on and the doctor called CPS and reported me for going against medical advice and medical neglect against my baby.

Thankfully, I was good friends with the director from my years as a volunteer helping with the foster family events. She told the doctor to provide written documentation that proved I had been negligent and uncooperative. When the doctor went to research he was quite surprised to find that I was one hundred percent correct.
                          I have to respect him, though, because he has been the only doctor in my life to ever sincerely apologize to me. He also thanked me for not only accepting his apology, but also for opening his eyes and teaching him something so important about breastfeeding benefits.

Comment

Breastfeeding at pow wow

I recently encountered an obstical to breastfeeding while at a pow wow and wanted to run it by a few folks to see what you all thought. While sitting behind some benches that were around the arena at a pow wow while a dance was taking place, I was discreetly nursing my baby (My breast was covered completely and her face was partially covered by my shirt. I couldn't place a blanket over us because it was nearing 90 degrees). I had noticed a few older women giving me really dirty looks as they were walking by, but didn;t think much of it and just kind of made sure that my daughter and I remained covered. A few minutes later and elder and a younger lady came to me and asked me to stop because I was offending some of the older attendees. I didn't fight it, but felt pretty defeated, esp. since the law gives me the right to nurse my child ANYWHERE... plus, this IS the way our ansestors fed their children. What could be more native than a mother nursing her baby? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

By the way... my daughter, Bird is 28 months old and still nursing and I am 5 months pregnant with #2.

Comment

I breastfed both my babies.

To stop the biting, just stop nursing when they do it. They soon learn. It worked for me.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X