Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breastfeeding benifits baby,mom,and community!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I nursed all three of my kids, and im sure it was my fault but the pump just want my thing I had oodles of milk but seems to be pumping more than anything else. If I were at a pow-wow I always found a bathroom and a cahir to sit and nurse or if that wasnt availble I went to either camp or a friends of familys camp, yes its nateral but I diddnt want to take a risk of a man seeing more of me than I want him too lol, plus that was the baby and me's time I liked being away just me and the lil one. I even at times has nieces or friends hold up a blanket when no other place was availble yah it drew a bit of att but at least I wasnt offending anybody. I diddnt want any grammas getting angry lol.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

The only thing I didn't like about breastfeeding, was that I couldn't drink coffee any more. I had to wait until my babies were weaned to resume my coffee drinking.

You know, it really annoys me that anyone would look down their noses at a breastfeeding mom, or give them dirty looks. How stupid is that? There was a time when that was the only way to feed your babies.

I couldn't do the pump thing either Eagle Plumes. I was a "stay-at-home" mom anyway, so I didn't need one.
      Last edited by neling4; 07-11-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
        The only thing I didn't like about breastfeeding, was that I couldn't drink coffee any more. I had to wait until my babies were weaned to resume my coffee drinking.

You know, it really annoys me that anyone would look down their noses at a breastfeeding mom, or give them dirty looks. How stupid is that? There was a time when that was the only way to feed your babies.

I couldn't do the pump thing either Eagle Plumes. I was a "stay-at-home" mom anyway, so I didn't need one.
        ya know I stil drank my coffee and was blessd it diddnt affect my kiddos, wonder if thats why they like coffee now? lol Im a stay at home mom as well but I would try like the dickens to pump is I was to be away from them but as I said fizzled lol.
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I nurse my babies all the time at pow-wows and I dance too. I think people just need to mind their own business. if you get dirty looks then just make faces back at them because you're doing whats best for your babies. :)

and you're right, you don't have to stop feeding your baby cuz someone else is offended. In most states the law the states that a mother has a right to feed her baby anyplace where the mother is allowed. or something like that
          Last edited by superndngyrl; 07-11-2008, 07:32 PM.
          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

BirdsMama~ Unfortunately, many cultures today have now equated breasts with sex. Folks seem to have forgotten what they were originally used for. These kinds of stories are all to real, and all to often. You are setting a good example for your children and those adults around you, each time you breastfeed your child. Folks need to see that special bond, how discreet a mother can be when feeding her child. I was a breastfeeder till my children self-weaned at around 2 years. Both are super healthy and strong. It is a choice I am glad I made, and I know it is one that you will not regret!
            Last edited by New2itall; 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
            Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got.

Janis Joplin

Comment

I have 5 daughters and breastfed them all for 1 yr. With my oldest I didn't know anything. No it wasn't easy, but I couldn't pump. They are healthy girls. But I prefer not to breastfeed in public. Just because I am breastfeeding, doesn't mean I want an audience. I am very modest, and I will go to a restroom, separate bedroom, dressing rooms, a car, or anything private. But it's very special and you shouldn't knock yourself up over whether you do it or not. Yes it's best, but your baby is next to you when you feed them a bottle. Don't be extreme about this. They know you love them if you do and IF YOU DON'T.
              Beauty comes in all colors.:shades_sm

Comment

I agree, nothing is better than breastfeeding.
                After having nursed 3 babies for more than one year each, my breasts are now smaller than before, but it was worth it! There were ups and downs, difficulties like baby's surgeries and so on, some women tried to convince me my milk was too thin and so on- but I was thickheaded and kept nursing. (I stopped smoking when I was pregnant with my oldest girl, I stopped drinking coffee, I never drank alc,...) It's sad that some mothers are discouraged by others and then think they can't nurse their babies. It's sad that some can't nurse for medical reasons but would like to. Me, I'm really glad that I was able to, my kids and I are very close now and they are proud that I nursed them all :-)
                ~~~~

Comment

You did a good job with your children. You know what is best for you. I didn't stop with coffee, I had some in the morning. It didn't hurt anything. Someone always has something to say no matter what you do. There are ups and downs but you keep at it. I would ask other women questions if I had a concern. But in the end the decision is yours.

Comment

Yes, the decision is yours.... well said.... and those who can't nurse or don't want to for some reason can still love their babies as much as those who do/did nurse them....
                    ~~~~

Comment

dang w/my son, If I had to go hide in a dirty stinky bathroom or go sit in the car every time he wanted to eat I would have spent 2 years in a bathroom/car. My son wanted to eat like every 30 mins to an hour... *maybe not that literally* but still he was always hungry. So I just tried to ignore everyone around, and live my life and fed my son when he was hungry. He's now a big happy almost 3 year old.
                      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Good for you superndngyrl!

I did the same with my son and daughter, and they are now big, happy 18 and 13 year olds!

I could rarely find a place to be private when my kids wanted to nurse, so, to be discreet, I wore big loose shirts that covered everything nicely. Maternity shirts worked well.

Comment

I agree that the bathroom is completely disgusting. I started out in public, but there isn't anything wrong with you. Each person has their own comfort level. The important thing is the baby got fed, and they do want to eat all the time. Breastfeeding only a lasts a few minutes usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Mia Gahdus View Post
                            A little story about the recent birth of my daughter-
                            As soon as they brought me my baby I started breastfeeding her and the doctor yelled at me, "WHAT are you DOING?" I said, "Nursing my baby." But all of a sudden I pulled her off and asked 'Why?' He said, "You'll give her an infection."
                            I said, "what are you talking about?"
                            "Infections are spread through sharing bodily fluids. You might have an infection," the doctor replied.
                            Long story short, I told the doctor that my baby had just come from inside of my BODY and if there was a worry of infection, then she's already infected and the best thing for her would be to nurse since it is the colustrum that is all white-blood cells(you know, the ones that fight infection!).
                            So, I let my baby latch on and the doctor called CPS and reported me for going against medical advice and medical neglect against my baby.

Thankfully, I was good friends with the director from my years as a volunteer helping with the foster family events. She told the doctor to provide written documentation that proved I had been negligent and uncooperative. When the doctor went to research he was quite surprised to find that I was one hundred percent correct.
                            I have to respect him, though, because he has been the only doctor in my life to ever sincerely apologize to me. He also thanked me for not only accepting his apology, but also for opening his eyes and teaching him something so important about breastfeeding benefits.
                            wow, if the dr said that to me, i would have started crying and caused a huge-huge fit. You are a strong woman for doing that

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

i breastfed all four of my daughters until they averaged ... 18 - 24 months old ... once they started asking to nurse i cut em off LOL. my youngest one ... dang she was the hardest to wean too ("mom, i wanna nurse" and jus try lift up my shirt LOL) dang she four now and still tryna nurse. so i jus hold her and she pretends. but ya they are all jus as healthy as can be ... and its soo much cleaner to breastfeed at a pow wow .. dont have to worry about keepin the bottles clean LOL.

but ya ... alot of ppl associate breasts with sex. and that they are for the pleasure of men ... but they are traditional there to nourish our offspring.

one time i was breastfeeding my daughter in the food court at a mall ... i was completely covered by a large shirt .. no skin showing at all. and this woman walks up and says to me "hmmpf ... could you go do that in the bathroom? my family is trying to eat here" so i say to her ... "well grab up your kids and your food and bring em in the bathroom and eat in there wit me and my baby." so to that she says "omg .. thats where ppl go to the "bathroom" so i say ... "but its ok my for my baby to eat where you go ****?" then she says "i didnt say that!! you misunderstood what i was saying" by this point other ppl (other parents and their families) overheard ... and were agreeing wit me LOL. she ended up leaving in embarassment LMFAO
                              Watch your broken dreams...
                              Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsMama View Post
                                I recently encountered an obstical to breastfeeding while at a pow wow and wanted to run it by a few folks to see what you all thought. While sitting behind some benches that were around the arena at a pow wow while a dance was taking place, I was discreetly nursing my baby (My breast was covered completely and her face was partially covered by my shirt. I couldn't place a blanket over us because it was nearing 90 degrees). I had noticed a few older women giving me really dirty looks as they were walking by, but didn;t think much of it and just kind of made sure that my daughter and I remained covered. A few minutes later and elder and a younger lady came to me and asked me to stop because I was offending some of the older attendees. I didn't fight it, but felt pretty defeated, esp. since the law gives me the right to nurse my child ANYWHERE... plus, this IS the way our ansestors fed their children. What could be more native than a mother nursing her baby? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

By the way... my daughter, Bird is 28 months old and still nursing and I am 5 months pregnant with #2.
                                some women were never breastfeed and in turn never nursed their baby. some ppl look at breastfeed as gross . . . i couldnt imagine why.

i know you said it was 90 degrees in the BLDG, but they looked at you cause you didnt cover up. i know-i know, you had yourself and baby covered w/ ure shirt, but maybe that wasnt enough . . . who knows. from my point of view, your a mother, your baby was hungry, your doing the right thing. dont let other tell you how to feed your baby. i give you five stars for breastfeed (anywhere and time)

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.