NA Tribes Located on or Near Toxic Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA Tribes Located on or Near Toxic Sites

Awhile ago, the PBS series "Independent Lens" aired a documentary called "The Creek Runs Red", about a little town in Northwest Oklahoma, called "Pitcher".
    This town ran on lead and zinc mining.
    Infact, it was the world's larget Zinc and Lead mine.
    But the waste from the mines eventually got into the town's drinking water, and began to make the townspeople start coming down with cancer in droves.
    It also spreads via air, from the dust blown from the numerous abandond "chat" piles (piles of waste from the mines) around the town.
    Even the children are getting sick, and dying.
    Miscarriages, and birth-defects have also skyrocketed.
    The documentary was named for the fact that that the acid from the mines had stained the water of the nearby "Tar Creek" red. The government declared it a Superfund site in 1983 (a Superfund site is a place that the government has declared to be one of the most toxically contaminated places, and in need of an extreeme clean-up, as well as an evacuation. The Love Canal is another example of a Superfund site).
    The Tar Creek area was declared by the government to be the worst Superfund site in the U.S.
    The EPA has come to Pitcher several times, (and claimed to be coming on many more occasions), but becasue of government corruption, they have not done much to clean the site up.
    The site is said to cover 25,000 square acres.
    It's also in the watershed now as well; many local lakes, rivers, and streams are now also severely contaminated.
    And near Pitcher, is a reservation populated by Quapaws (Quapaw Alawtes?).
    The contamination has reached them too.
    It's affecting their health very badly as well.
    This thread is for the discussion of Native American tribes who live on or near Superfund sites, and/or are being severely affected by unussual amounts of pollution from other sources.
    Water, air, soil... metal, toxic waste, biological waste from mega-farms...it doesn't matter.
    Here's a link to the story:
    Independent Lens . THE CREEK RUNS RED . The Film | PBS

and a link to info on Superfund sites
    Independent Lens . THE CREEK RUNS RED . The Film | PBS
    Last edited by Bodica; 02-24-2009, 03:08 AM.
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

I bet there's other locations near reservations that the government or large companies are not admitting to. The reservation my grandmother lived on had several instances of cancer and various other forms of ailments in the people. We have never had an occurrence of cancer in my family until then. I think tribes need to put it on their agenda to get the soil and water tested meticulously.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
      I bet there's other locations near reservations that the government or large companies are not admitting to. The reservation my grandmother lived on had several instances of cancer and various other forms of ailments in the people. We have never had an occurrence of cancer in my family until then. I think tribes need to put it on their agenda to get the soil and water tested meticulously.
      Exactly.
      The question is, how do ordinary people like you and me find out specifically which reservations have been seriously contaminated. It's not just Superfund sites (although that would be a good place to start)...
      There are so many different kinds of serious contamintion that corperations and the government do illeaglly, and don't tell the public about it.
      Radiation poisioning from local nuclear power plants,
      lead-poisoning from mines that have tainted the local water, germ-ridden methane and sulpher fumes coming from the many square miles of open ponds of raw anamal sewage generated by just one nearby gigantic industrial farm (which can house tens or even hundreds of thousands of pigs and/or cows all under one roof)...
      Where to start looking?
      By the way, can you tell us the name of the reservation that your grandmother lived at?
      Last edited by Bodica; 02-25-2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add somthing
      I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.