So... What is Swine Flu you ask???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... What is Swine Flu you ask???

As I read article after article I am struck by the fact that a large part of the population think that you can get swine flu from eating pork

Ok this is not the first time we have had swine flu in this country the last really big outbreak was back in the 70's

Facts about the swine flu
    It is called the swine flu because at one time the virus was in a pig however the virus mutated in order to infect a human. Actually they are debating to rename the influenza to North American Influenza due to the public confusion about transmission.
    Even if pigs were the original source of the disease, experts said they did not appear to be playing any role in its transmission now. The virus is passing from person to person, they said, most likely by the spread of respiratory droplets .

These droplets can be inhaled or passed on by skin to skin contact such as shaking hands. It is why washing your hands is so important. So cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough and wash your hands!!

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person makes a full recovery without requiring medical attention and without the use of antiviral medicines. The key part to the symptoms is a fever of 100.5. If you have a fever over 100.5 and all the other symptoms by all means go have yourself checked by a doctor

Some other info:
    The swine flu is likely a descendant of the infamous "Spanish flu" that caused a devastating pandemic in humans in 1918–1919. In less than a year, that pandemic killed more an estimated 50 million people worldwide. Descendants of this virus have persisted in pigs; they probably circulated in humans until the appearance of the Asian flu in 1957, and reemerged in 1977. Direct transmission from pigs to humans is rare, with 12 cases in the U.S. since 2005.

The flu virus is perhaps the trickiest known to medical science; it constantly changes form to elude the protective antibodies that the body has developed in response to previous exposures to influenza or to influenza vaccines. Every two or three years the virus undergoes minor changes. Then, at intervals of roughly a decade, after the bulk of the world's population has developed some level of resistance to these minor changes, it undergoes a major shift that enables it to tear off on yet another pandemic sweep around the world, infecting hundreds of millions of people who suddenly find their antibody defenses outflanked. Even during the Spanish flu pandemic, the initial wave of the disease was relatively mild and the second wave was highly lethal.
    In 1957, an Asian flu pandemic infected some 45 million Americans and killed 70,000. Eleven years later, lasting from 1968 to 1969, the Hong Kong flu pandemic afflicted 50 million Americans and caused 33,000 deaths, costing approximately $3.9 billion. In 1976, about 500 soldiers became infected with swine flu over a period of a few weeks. However, by the end of the month investigators found that the virus had "mysteriously disappeared" and there were no more signs of swine flu anywhere on the post. There were isolated cases around the U.S. but those cases were supposedly to individuals who caught the virus from pigs.
    Medical researchers worldwide, recognizing that the swine flu virus might again mutate into something as deadly as the Spanish flu, were carefully watching the latest 2009 outbreak of swine flu and making contingency plans for a possible global pandemic.
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

thank you for the info Josiah ......
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

After 10 years of taking the same old pathogens class I have to take every year, let me add that when you cough into your hands (covering your mouth) you're going to infect everything you touch until you wash your hands... the new and improved way as they put it is to cough into your elbow (inside of course, the pit) or pull out your collar and cough down into your shirt. And carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer with you. I hate turning people into germaphobes but stop and think of how many times you touch your face or put your fingers in your mouth.. and think of how many doorknobs you touched and how many other people have touched them... ewwww! Swine flu be just one of the things you could catch...
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Swine Flu Map of outbreaks

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

my Hospital conniction sent me this

Subject: swine flu info.

Here is some info I’m forwarding from Infection Control:

Swine Influenza (Flu) –
          Visit l/

What we know
          Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the United States and also internationally. The current U.S. case count is 20 confirmed cases.

Why this is important
          • The swine flu is a respiratory disease of pigs. People do not normally get swine flu but human infections can & do happen. The CDC has determined that this swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is contagious & is spreading from human to human.
          • The current influenza vaccine does not include this strain.
          • We do not have immunity against this strain.

Symptoms of swine flu are similar to symptoms of regular human flu
          • Fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills & fatigue.
          • Diarrhea & vomiting have been reported by some people with swine flu.
          • Severe illness (pneumonia & respiratory failure) and deaths can occur with swine flu infection.
          • Like seasonal flu, swine flue may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

What you can do to stay healthy
          • Cover your nose & mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. (Respiratory Etiquette)
          • Wash hands frequently with soap & water or use the alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially after you cough or sneeze.
          • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are spread that way.

Try to avoid close contact with sick people
          • Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
          • If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

• Lab testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir.

Infection Control
          Non-Hospitalized Patient
          Recommended infection control for a non-hospitalized patient (ER, clinic or home):
          • Separation from others in single room if available until asymptomatic. If the ill person needs to move to another part of the house or clinic, he/she should wear a mask. The ill person should wash hands frequently and follow respiratory hygiene practices. Also encourage ill person and family members to use alcohol hand sanitizer frequently when appropriate. Cups, utensils and other items used by the ill person should be thoroughly washed with soap and water or by a dishwasher before use by other persons. (Masks for home use can be purchased at medical supply stores, home improvement stores, on the intranet, etc.)

Hospitalized Patient
          Recommended Infection Control for a hospitalized patient:
          • Standard, Droplet and Contact precautions for 7 days after illness onset or until symptoms have resolved.
          • In addition, personnel should wear N95 respirators when entering the patient room.
          • Use an airborne infection isolation room with negative pressure air handling, if available; otherwise use a single patient room with the door kept closed.
          • For suctioning, bronchoscopy, or intubation, use a procedure room with negative pressure air handling.

Infection Prevention & Control, 4/27/09, 11:00

<noscript><style type="text/css">#yui-main { background-color:#D7BED5 }</style></noscript><script type="text/javascript">gLaunchProfile.stop('RT_RP', false);gLaunchProfile.start('RT_BP');gLaunchProfil e.start('LD_JS_BP');</script><script type="text/javascript">YAHOO.mc.intl = "us";YAHOO.mc.IM_TOGGLE_STRINGS = {"im_settings_helpurl" : "http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/chat/","im_settings_help_toggle" : "1","im_enable_mobile_l10n": "1","im_sign_in": "true","im_time_format_am" : "AM","im_time_format_pm" : "PM","im_date_time_format" : "{d}/{M}/{yy} {h}:{mm} {A}"};if (YAHOO.mc.page.generic) {YAHOO.mc.page.generic.initComposeMenu();}YAHOO.mc .page.TriggerULT=true;YAHOO.util.Event.onDOMReady( function () {sessionMgr.initSession();sessionMgr.loadFromBookm arks();});if (document.getElementById("JSMailOptionsLink")) {document.getElementById("JSMailOptionsLink").href = optionObj["JSMailOptionsLink"];}YAHOO.util.Event.on(["searchTheWebtop", "searchTheWebbottom"], "submit", webSearchHandle);if (document.getElementById("chk_pop_options") || document.getElementById("chk_pop_error") || document.getElementById("option_bad_folder") || document.getElementById("folders_options_spam") || document.getElementById("folders_options_sent") || document.getElementById("spam_edit_options")) {YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(YAHOO.mc.optionsID, "click", displayOptions, optionObj);}YAHOO.namespace("fcue"); <!--[if IE 6]>YAHOO.fcue.IE6 = true;<![endif]--> <!--[if IE 7]>YAHOO.fcue.IE7 = true;<![endif]--> YAHOO.mc.FCUE_METADATA = {imInit:"1",imSent:"1",fcElap:"1237939077265",fcEc ap:"3",fcNag:"",inEcap:"",inElap:"1241009027642"}; YAHOO.mc.noCues = false;YAHOO.util.Event.on(window, "load" , function () {if (hasIM) {YAHOO.util.Get.script("http://mail.yimg.com/d/combo?/mg/5_2_18/js/im_plum_all.js&/mg/5_2_18/js/us_strings.js&/mg/5_2_18/js/msgr.js&ult/ylc_1.9.js");}});</script><script type="text/javascript">gLaunchProfile.stop('LD_JS_BP', false);</script>
          <script type="text/javascript">resizeLeftPane();</script><script type="text/javascript">gLaunchProfile.start('RT_AD_FOOT');</script>
          Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM.
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

link, i dont know if someone posted this one already

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...m58d0424a1.htm

this one is about the ppl that have it in texas and cal.

Comment

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating.

Nationwide in the US during the '76 H1N1 "outbreak" - about a quarter of the population received vaccines (NIIP was supposed to vaccinate the entire population but with all complex operations there were problems along the way). One of the target populations were Native Americans (along with the military, the elderly and small children). This vaccine was different from the yearly flu shots we are used to now and was targeted specifically for "swine flu".

What I find interesting is the news media's reports that the virus only seems to be affecting those who are younger than 30 something. The ones who are getting sick in the US wouldn't have been alive in '76. A co inky-dink?

I know the official word is that the virus strain causing this outbreak is different. According to the things I've been seeing, though, the media releases are still using the H1N1 designation. Just a thought.

A link to a succinct telling of the '76 outbreak and subsequent vaccine program can be found here:

Swine Flu Epidemics

Comment

A statue is seen on Reforma Avenue in Mexico City, on April 27, 2009. Mexico faces a "critical moment" in its handling of a deadly swine flu outbreak, the capital's mayor said Tuesday, as he ordered all eateries in the city closed to combat the virus's spread.

Comment

Swine flu update . . .

The World Health Organization (WHO) has 6 pandemic Influenza Phases. This afternoon they increased from phase 4 to phase 5. Phase 6 is known as pandemic flu meaning there is widespread human infection world-wide. Here are some excerpts from a WHO news release:

“Based on assessment of all available information, and following several expert consultations, I have decided to raise the current level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to phase 5.

Influenza pandemics must be taken seriously precisely because of their capacity to spread rapidly to every country in the world.

On the positive side, the world is better prepared for an influenza pandemic than at any time in history.

Preparedness measures undertaken because of the threat from H5N1 avian influenza were an investment, and we are now benefitting from this investment.

For the first time in history, we can track the evolution of a pandemic in real-time. …. Let me remind you. New diseases are, by definition, poorly understood. Influenza viruses are notorious for their rapid mutation and unpredictable behaviour.

WHO and health authorities in affected countries will not have all the answers immediately, but we will get them.

WHO will be tracking the pandemic at the epidemiological, clinical, and virological levels.

The results of these ongoing assessments will be issued as public health advice, and made publicly available.

All countries should immediately activate their pandemic preparedness plans. Countries should remain on high alert for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.

At this stage, effective and essential measures include heightened surveillance, early detection and treatment of cases, and infection control in all health facilities.

This change to a higher phase of alert is a signal to governments, to ministries of health and other ministries, to the pharmaceutical industry and the business community that certain actions should now be undertaken with increased urgency, and at an accelerated pace….

The biggest question, right now, is this: how severe will the pandemic be, especially now at the start?

It is possible that the full clinical spectrum of this disease goes from mild illness to severe disease. We need to continue to monitor the evolution of the situation to get the specific information and data we need to answer this question.

From past experience, we also know that influenza may cause mild disease in affluent countries, but more severe disease, with higher mortality, in developing countries.

No matter what the situation is, the international community should treat this as a window of opportunity to ramp up preparedness and response.

Above all, this is an opportunity for global solidarity as we look for responses and solutions that benefit all countries, all of humanity. After all, it really is all of humanity that is under threat during a pandemic.”

Comment

Center for Disease Control News release #1

The Center for Disease Control has released several news releases. They are as follows:

“Health officials are concerned about a new influenza virus of swine origin that’s spreading from person to person. Officials are acting to combat this threat, but the outbreak might grow. So be prepared.

Store a two-week supply of food and water. Have two weeks of your regular prescription drugs at home. Keep health supplies on hand, including pain relievers and cold medicines.”

“Health officials are concerned about a new flu virus of swine origin spreading from person to person. To help fight swine flu, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue away. Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Stay home if you’re sick and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.”

Please follow these guidelines. Stock up on food and medication so you have at least a 2 week supply in case this virus spreads to our community. Cover you cough/sneeze and wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 sec. If you don’t feel well STAY HOME.

Comment

Update!!!

World takes drastic steps to contain swine flu

Comment

I found out this morning there is two confirmed cases in Oxnard, Ca. One 9 year old and one 13 year old. They have closed their respective schools for a week. The clinics where these cases were diagnosed have also been closed to be sanitized.

My work carries me into many homes in this area. I've been off for 2 days and go back to work tomorrow. Wonder what's going to happen. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X