Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Illness

I heard some where that ndns have a higher occurence of mental illness, especially depression and bi-polar disorder. Is this true? Does anyone know if there have been studies done on this issue. I am studying to become a psychologist and this has come to my attention more that once.

Dr. Joseph Stone, PhD, CAC III, ICADC, Blackfeet Nation Tribal Enrollment #U10415, Program Manager and Clinical Supervisor at the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Behavioral Health Program at Grand Ronde, Oregon presents an entire curriculum for would-be counselors concerning the affect of cultural disenfranchisement/Post-Colonialism Stress Disorder and its impact on Native Americans. The price among our people has been incredibly high. Joe is extremely well-published in the mental health profession regarding behavioral health, addiction, etc. in our communities.

In a nutshell, tribal communitites are impacted by a historical trend of violence perpetrated by the dominant or affluent Euro-American culture. These historical influences included: dispossession, biological warfare, disruption of culture, Indian wars, federal and religious boarding schools which disrupted family and language, termination, relocation, modern influences (gangs and drugs). Each of these systemic influences has changed parenting practices within the tribal communities and thus the neurodevelopment and developmental psychopathology of tribal people manifesting itself in the form of psychiatric disorders and addictive behaviors. His solution? we must reclaim our tribal identities and spirituality if we are to recover as a people. If anyone wants more info on Joe's papers I think I still have e-files I can share.

Aho.

Comment

I certainly would like to see his papers. I will pm you my E-mail address. What would you suggest those of us that are trying to reverse the effects of colinization do? I am currently studying to get my bachelor in Psychology. I am fully aware that European Psychology is very different from Native American Psychology(in terms of the environmental factors that are part of a persons overall psychological wellbeing) and I find myself one of the few who seem to realize and/or care about this fact. How am I to best help our people? Restoring our cultural identity is not entirely possible because of the amount of traditions that are already gone forever.:( Culteral pride is another thing, if we do not try to better the prediciment of our people then who will????? Too many natives are stuck on a res somewhere, slowly losing hope. I was given the opportunity to attend college and better my life. What I want to know is what is the best way to go about trying to heal the soul of our people? These are the difficult questions which I must ask myself. If you have any advise please share it.

Comment

Five years ago I had a vision of leading my people out from under the cloud of the effects of the Europeans. I thought going as high and influential in Government would be the road to take. I also looked at education and influence as the means to this end.

Today I see that it is not my choice who I help. Looking beyond the whole you need to see the person. An individual will come to you if you are recognized as being helpful. What can you hit when you are aiming at something so grand. Do not give up your vision.

By living a Traditional lifestyle you will notice the natural law take effect and people will come to you for help or guidance. There are different jobs for every one of us and figuring out what the Creator has instore for us is our life, our journey. That is my learning and I hope that it is helpful.
        Hai Hai
        Where's the Pow-wow at????

Comment

My fellow Cree speaks with wisdom. Helping our people overcome exploitation and genocide takes two components. Our being a light in their darkness; AND their admission and realization that they want to find away out of darkness. We need to reverse the following:
          one third of the 800,000 residents of reservations live below the poverty line
          NDNs are twice as likely as other Americans to be murdered or commit suicide.
          NDNs are three times likelier to die in auto accidents and five times more likely to die from cirrhosis of the liver (alcoholism)
          Alcoloishm on reservations commonly ranges higher than 50%.
          Unemployment on some reserves surpasses 80%
          55% of NDN youth drop out of high school
          Barely 7% graduate from college
          What does this mean? No one seems to be able to agree; but one thing I would think we could agree on is that we don't need our respective White governments to dictate the manner in which we do reverse these trends. We need to be proactive within our tribes, not forget traditional ways and rediscover the respect for women and elders that used to be a hallmark of our people.

Comment

Mental Health

My sister, I really applaud your efforts of trying to help our people. For many years Native people have been subjected to many unpleasant things, it's is no wonder why we natives have had a difficult time to pull ourselves out from the oppressive world of society. However, Creator has made all things happen for many reasons in disguise. I truly believe as Sovereign Nations we will overcome the injustices, and oppression if we all return to our traditional roles of people with a voice. What I mean by this is that people need to become involved in their tribal community issues, and begin to take action, and it can go all the way to the top. If people only care to take a stand, then we can unlearn these past inflicted behaviors. We certainly could look forward to the next seven generations of hope, health, and happiness, which all equal a good life. All my relation.:) I hope this encourages & inspires your efforts, don't give up, but be sure to take care of yourself too!:Angel2
            W

Comment

Originally posted by Cree Sweetheart
              Dr. Joseph Stone, PhD, CAC III, ICADC, Blackfeet Nation Tribal Enrollment #U10415, Program Manager and Clinical Supervisor at the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Behavioral Health Program at Grand Ronde, Oregon presents an entire curriculum for would-be counselors concerning the affect of cultural disenfranchisement/Post-Colonialism Stress Disorder and its impact on Native Americans. The price among our people has been incredibly high. Joe is extremely well-published in the mental health profession regarding behavioral health, addiction, etc. in our communities.

In a nutshell, tribal communitites are impacted by a historical trend of violence perpetrated by the dominant or affluent Euro-American culture. These historical influences included: dispossession, biological warfare, disruption of culture, Indian wars, federal and religious boarding schools which disrupted family and language, termination, relocation, modern influences (gangs and drugs). Each of these systemic influences has changed parenting practices within the tribal communities and thus the neurodevelopment and developmental psychopathology of tribal people manifesting itself in the form of psychiatric disorders and addictive behaviors. His solution? we must reclaim our tribal identities and spirituality if we are to recover as a people. If anyone wants more info on Joe's papers I think I still have e-files I can share.

Aho.

I'd like to know more..if you wouldn't mind and it is not to late.:)
              Last edited by Joshua; 10-03-2003, 04:22 PM.

Comment

It's never too late. I'll send it to you when I get back in my office this afternoon.

Comment

mental health

Yeah me to!! Ill p.m. you with my info.......Docka:D
                  SANTA BARBARA SKIN

Comment

Originally posted by Cree Sweetheart
                    It's never too late. I'll send it to you when I get back in my office this afternoon.

Thank you!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X