• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Dancing Bear
    Pow Wow Visitor
    • Jul 2009

Light Bulb Law Suggestions: A Message from the Eagles

Now that our federal government has mandated the use of those new Low-Wattage Use minni Coil-Type Light Bulbs throughout our country, I feel it is time to Stand Up as a member of the Native American community and Speak for Our Grandchildren.
    It is my understanding that these coil-type bulbs contain a Mercury Vapor, similar to other fluorescent light bulbs. We have known since 1959, through Rachel Carsons' [U]Silent Spring[U], that Heavy Metals such as Mercury and Lead will cause Reproductive Harm, Birth Defects, and Cellular Damage, even as far down as the Chromosomal Level. We also know that these Toxins do not degrade; but instead Accumulate, and eventually percolate down through the soil, where they contaminate the Aquifer, the source of our Drinking Water, as well as all the water we use to Irrigate our Food Crops. Extend the contamination to our Public and Personal Landscapes such as Lawns, Golf Courses, and Public Spaces, and soon there is no Healthy Land to Live On.
    What We Learned back in 1959, was that this Contaminated Water Directly Impacts the Food Chain. The tiny organisms that are food for small fish, are each slightly poisoned, and the Poisons Accumulate in the bodies of the small fish. These small fish are in turn eaten by Turtles, Birds like the King Fisher and Heron, and especially Larger Fish like Panfish, Bass, and Salmon, which All become Increasingly Poisoned, having eaten proportionately more contaminated food. Soon, we saw the impact directly, when Eagles Feeding on Salmon produced eggs without enough thickness to their shells, causing them to crack under their own weight. The Eagle Chicks never were born; and the accumulation of persistant contaminants like DDT and Mercury in the Food Chain Was The Cause.
    Now I ask myself, Will a Native American Not Listen to a Message from the Eagles?
    I propose a few Law Suggestions Regarding Light Bulbs. I also humbly encourage any of my Native Cousins to Asist.
    First: Since we must use these bulbs, this Mercury Content Must be Safely Contained. We have the technical ability to produce a light bulb with a DOUBLE COVER; and this second (outer) bulb cover can be used to modify or filter the light, giving us our desired light quality, whether "Natural Daylight", "Soft White", or "Reveal". I propose that As Consumers, we Insist on such a Secondary Containment System. I cannot believe that our federal government will permit widespread mercury contamination, once they understand We will Not Accept it Into Our Homes Or Businesses.
    Second: To Ensure that Safety Levels are Adequate, These Bulbs MUST be Manufactured in the U.S.A. We have all seen repeated Violations of Safety Standards in products from Overseas. There is plenty of information about Childrens Toys painted with Lead Paint. How did this Poisoning occur? The products were not produced Here, where we Mandate Safety Standards. There is No More Time to Waste on this issue. All Americans MUST be protected from this imminent Environmental Disaster.
    So, which Light Bulb Company will we Stand Behind? The One who protects our Land, Food Supply, and Homes. I am sure that there are also Many Americans who will Appreciate the Jobs that Manufacturers inside the U.S.A. could create.
    There are so many places where we can Stand Up On This Issue. I enjoy eating healthy, un-contaminated food. I like to Fish, because I like to Eat fish. I want my grandchildren to be born healthy, have healthy food, healthy places to live in, and to be able to go fishing and to Eat the Fish they catch. We must not permit the contamination of our homes and land, and suffer the extended health hazards of Mercury Poisoning, simply by overlooking one responsability we have to future generations.
    Migwetch to my Native Cousins, for thinking on this, and Greater Thanks to Our Creator, for this Message from the Eagles.
    Last edited by Richard Dancing Bear; 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: To correct information, and editorial concerns.
  • Toolbox
    I pull your leg out!
    • Feb 2009

The facts are a bit skewed. If we kept using the normal incandescent lights (avg. 60WATT) then that means more coal that the power plants have to burn (we get over 50% of our power from coal). The byproduct of burning coal, besides CO2, is coal ash which is an enviromental nightmare because contained within it are high levels of heavy metals, including mercury, cobalt, cadmium, and arsenic. The coal ash is usually sotred in a pit, and if not lined properly that stuff seeps into the ground. Its a catch 22 situation.
    CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• wyo_rose
      Ready to dance
      • Jun 2002

I've been using compact florescent bulbs and I love them. The first ones I got YEARS ago (that take a second to come up when you flip the switch) are still going strong.

Now that it's time to move, I'm being cheap and taking my compact bulbs with me and replacing them with cheap incandescent.

Here's a link about recycling these bulbs and other good info.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

• wyo_rose
        Ready to dance
        • Jun 2002

Oh!! WHY do I love them? They last forever (years and years anyway) asnd I have noticed the savings on the electric bill.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Sunktaki
          goofball
          • Sep 2005

I hate sqweegle lightbulbs...they give beads the wrong color...

Comment

• wyo_rose
            Ready to dance
            • Jun 2002

I had to get a natural spectrum light to bead with...and reading glasses.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

• OLChemist
              Pow Wow Committee
              • May 2002

Originally posted by Sunktaki View Post
              I hate sqweegle lightbulbs...they give beads the wrong color...
              Yeap. I was beading at a art show and didn't realize they had CFL's in everything but the spots that were lighting the gallery walls. I got the piece I was working on outside and found I had used dark red instead of brown.

I live in an area of town with really poor power regulation. Unless I plug the lamp into a UPS/filter, I get lifetimes that are the same as Mr Edison's bulb. Five dollar lightbulb changes every month offset the electricity savings.

CFL's contain about 4 mg of Hg. They have to be disposed of as hazardous waste and cannot go into regular garbage. If you break one the EPA recommends you lock kids and pets out of the room, open the windows leave the room, turn off the heater/AC, wait 10-15mins. Then clean up, confining the waste to a sealed glass jar (plastic will let Hg vapor through). Wash up and leave the room to air out, without heat or AC for several hours. It's more fun if you break it on carpet; you're supposed to leave the room with the windows open for several hours the next few times you vacuum.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL: Detailed Recommendations | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

My felines knock lamps over so often I'm dreading the change. I get enough Hg exposure from decades worth of broken thermometers in labs.

Comment

• wyo_rose
                Ready to dance
                • Jun 2002

Wow, breaking one is pretty serious business.

My mom was a school nurse back in the day and had a broken thermometer in a basket. I played with that mercury for hours...all school year!!
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

• APACHEFIRE
                  AH LOVE LAUGHIN!
                  • Feb 2004

OH DANG!! and geesh!!

Originally posted by [MENTION=4221
                  OLChemist[/MENTION];1460645]
                  CFL's contain about 4 mg of Hg. They have to be disposed of as hazardous waste and cannot go into regular garbage. If you break one the EPA recommends you lock kids and pets out of the room, open the windows leave the room, turn off the heater/AC, wait 10-15mins. Then clean up, confining the waste to a sealed glass jar (plastic will let Hg vapor through). Wash up and leave the room to air out, without heat or AC for several hours. It's more fun if you break it on carpet; you're supposed to leave the room with the windows open for several hours the next few times you vacuum.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL: Detailed Recommendations | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

My felines knock lamps over so often I'm dreading the change. I get enough Hg exposure from decades worth of broken thermometers in labs.
                  OMG!! I never heard about this! i hate the new light bulbs because they seem to break so easily. i used to keep one right by my bed...and knocked it over all the time. i just tossed the pieces into the nearby trashcan, never opened the windows because of the heat/cold depending on the weather....then went to sleep!
                  Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                  Wow, breaking one is pretty serious business.

My mom was a school nurse back in the day and had a broken thermometer in a basket. I played with that mercury for hours...all school year!!
                  you sure made your mercury last a long time! i could only play with mine for about 3 minutes before it jumped outta muh hands and hurried down the kitchen drain. but my hands still had itty bitty silver matter smeared on them.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
                  "Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
                  "I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
                  "Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
                  "Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**

Comment

• Toolbox
                    I pull your leg out!
                    • Feb 2009

FACT, and one that is simply over looked. This law is not banning incandescent light bulbs but is mandating that all newer incandescent bulbs be energy efficient. So you can still buy them, they will cost a bit more, but they use less energy and last longer therefore you will actually see a savings.
                    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

• Migiziwomen
                      YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                      I've been using compact florescent bulbs and I love them. The first ones I got YEARS ago (that take a second to come up when you flip the switch) are still going strong.

Now that it's time to move, I'm being cheap and taking my compact bulbs with me and replacing them with cheap incandescent.

Here's a link about recycling these bulbs and other good info.
                      http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf
                      lol nauny! i would too! the place i just move my family into, the landlord pays all utes. needless to say there is a compact in every light fixture. smart guy!
                      A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

I've ALWAYS noticed that they really DONT last as long as they claim. I think I've changed one in my office (at home) more than all the plain old bulbs in the entire house. So switched back to incan's and I haven't changed one since. About 1 years ago.

Here's the general rule of thumb I follow, I know what all the stats say and the "experts", but I follow the rule of, If they say that you have to dispose of it a certain way, because it's BAD for the environment! That means it's bad for you too. I don't like 'em I don't use 'em.

Dollar store lightbulbs have always worked just fine for me, and they last just as long as all the rest. Sometimes I swear longer.

Comment

• wyo_rose
                          Ready to dance
                          • Jun 2002

Hmmm...the first compact florescent bulb I put in where we leave the light on all the time, in the hallway has lasted FOREVER! About 8 years and I finally had to change it last year. I've noticed that some of the newer bulbs (and way cheaper) so burn out, but not nearly as fast as incandescents.

Although, you can buy the 5 year + incandescent bulbs. I had a case once and never changed a bulb for years, adn then I moved LOL
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Toolbox
                            I pull your leg out!
                            • Feb 2009

Personally I'm all for the changing laws to protect our environment and energy futures but I will say that I'm not a fan of the color put out by the CFLs and on some LED lamps, both can be harsh and lacking chunks of the color spectrum. Halogen puts out really nice color but they get way too hot and use up a lot of energy, plus lamps I like are expensive.

*Note that when I say "lamps" I'm referring to the 'bulbs' as lamps are their technical term and the fixture is a device containing a "lamp holder". LOL. Saying "bulb" on set will get you smacked.
                            sigpic

Comment

• comadre
                              outnumbered
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                              ..and lacking chunks of the color spectrum.
                              so very true but that was funny."Lacking chunks of the color spectrum."

thanks toolz and g' nite everyone.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.