No announcement yet.

Recovering from Sprains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!! I appreciate the advice!! I had not thought of going to a chriopractor. I will ask around my friends and see who they suggest in my area. I live west of the D/FW area in Texas if you have someone you'd like to suggest.

Comment

Saw the orthopedic doctor yesterday, looks like I'm going to have to have a knee replacement. The meniscus is severly torn, and not repairable....I've got bone on bone on the inside of my leg joint. Outside edge is healthy and normal, but the sprain caused the meniscus to tear severly on the inside medial meniscus. So not to happy about that......but the doc is trying injections in my knee to help with the pain. He said I was pretty young to be having this kind of surgery. But with as bad a sprain as it was, it is unavoidable. The doctor is a highly recommended orthopedic sports surgeon, and I was told he does everything he can to avoid surgery, but guess this time it's just necessary. So kind of sad about that........but eager to get it back to normal. Probably try to put it off for a short time, as I'm dealing with my Moma being ill and in and out of the hospital. So the doc's being pretty awesome about helping out on that.
      So now I'm really working at getting some recovery tips to start working on. Anyone had this kind of surgery and recovery???

Comment

I think I saw you 49'n and fell ina hole thats how you got hurt lol teasing

My mama had her knees replaced she was a good girl did all her exercises even pushed to do more when asked. Man we couldnt keep up with her she was litterly all over the place I remember her saying she had no idea she was in so much pain untill she had them replaced and was reminded what it was not to hurt every single day she had learned to cope with it.
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Aww Nancy, that sucks. Praying for you to make a quick recovery from whatever you decide to do. Hope your momma gets better soon as well.
          A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Yup, EP, it was that dad gum '49!!!! LOL!!

A Lady I work with just had her second knee replacement surgery Monday......she told me "honestly, the first two days suck.....then it gets better and better". So, I think I can handle it. She said the rehab is the key to a better recovery and getting back on your feet faster. So I'll be working in that direction.
            Who knew just stepping down wrong could cause so much trouble!!!
            I'm aiming to wait until Moma's well, and then hubby has been the AD and then will get serious about the surgery.
            Thanks, Yaahl.

Comment

BRUISE TIP:

If you get a bruise here's a tip from Dr. Mom....gets some Blue ICE, rub affected area, externally only please, ....Don't know why but the mentholly goodness pulls the bruise out much quicker than letting it go on it's own.....
              I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

Nancy, how are you doing with that knee? Have you scheduled surgery yet?

Comment

Hey,
                  Knee is doing fairly good. Nope, haven't had the surgery yet. It took the MCL a LONG time to heal where it should of been a short recovery. The doc said it was a much worse sprain than what they first originally thought....jeez, I thought I was never going to get away from the crutches!!
                  Just this past month has it felt pretty good. If I step wrong or get to walking over bumpy ground it will hurt......but for the most part doing pretty good.
                  I went through the Euflexxa shot therapy along with a couple steriod shots and my knee feels pretty good. Still somewhat stiff, but better. Been doing some stretching exercises every morning and that has help MUCHO!!! The Doc said we could do the surgery anytime, but to wait and see how this shot therapy will work.
                  Yes, I did go to the pow wow that my husband was AD at.....had a great time!! Dressed out, and danced at the sidelines a couple of times....but not for very long. Mostly sat and visited with friends and had the best time just doing that. My husband was glad both me and my son were there, he had a great time!!!!
                  So what I first thought was going to be a disaster, worked out okay.
                  I haven't danced much since, but have been putting on pow wow CD's and doing a little bit at home.
                  Great thing about it is that my doctor has fixed some other pow wow dancers knees so he's been pretty supportive and encouraging this whole time, so it's been awesome to have a doctor that is familiar with pow wow's. And I just thought he was an old cowboy doctor!!! LOL
                  So, no, no surgery yet........I'm a little nervous about it and willing to give this Euflexxa a go to give me more time to heal....and time to save up the money. Whooeee, it is expensive surgery!!
                  So then I guess I'll have to start a new thread..."How to recover from Knee Replacement Surgery." LOL
                  In the meantime.....working on a new bead set to go along with a belt my brother in law made me years back!!! Keeping these fingers busy busy so I can go back in to the circle dancing as always!!!
                  Staying positive!!!

Comment

That's good to hear Nancy. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Good to hear Nancy, I'm glad that you are feeling better. Hope the knee keeps on getting stronger.
                      A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Thanks, girls! I appreciate all the encouragement and advice during this whole ordeal.
                        I wish I could avoid the knee replacement surgery and wish it was just going to be orthoscopic, but everyone that has had the surgery says it is well worth it. So whatever I need to do to get back in good working order I'll do.
                        We're going to head to Red Earth this year, so I'd like to be able to dance some there.....so working toward that goal right now. Surgery will probably be some time after that.
                        In the mean time, I just keeping hobbling along and beading like crazy!! LOL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X