12 Ways to Avoid Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by docat View Post
    YET, I look back in the family history several generations, and many lived long lives, some even faced off small pox--yet, diabetes seems to be the achilles heel in modern times. It makes you wonder what has changed that so very many have diabetes or are at the brink of it, like me.
    Processed foods. If living off the land in a natural way (no chemicals and such), makes ppl look, feel, and diabetic the same way, I would be surprised if it doesn't make a difference.
    When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it—always.

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
      There's something in my brain that is set in the "who cares" mode right now. So I guess in that respect, I'm in no better shape than my brother...he's just got a few years on me.

Actually my day starts out fine, but I binge and throw the diet out the window in the evenings. I know I need to plan, shop, and just cook the right foods. NOW!! And always! OK, self....take this to heart!
      Toxins want toxins. Its not really you, its the toxins. Write out a list of healthy emergency foods when your NOT hungry. Arm your desire with healthy foods to do battle against the toxins. When the urge of the toxins come to overthrow your mind, implement the emergency foods to hold the toxins at bay. As you excrete/secrete, the toxins will dissipate it grip and it will get easier for your mind to regain control over the body. Remember to persevere for 2-3 weeks, and you should begin to notice a difference. Don't expect to see results too soon, be firm to see the battle through. I hope for your victory.

An Asian brother from another mother.
      When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it—always.

Comment

Toxins...as in what? Carbohydrates, sugars? Gluten is toxic to some. Allergens are toxic to those who are predisposed.

When I eat carbs like bread, pasta, and potatoes, I have to eat more and more.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
          Toxins...as in what? Carbohydrates, sugars? Gluten is toxic to some. Allergens are toxic to those who are predisposed.

When I eat carbs like bread, pasta, and potatoes, I have to eat more and more.
          To think simply and not break it up into bits and pieces. You can think of toxins as anything that brings imbalance. So there are outright toxins, and outright healthy, but think even what's healthy can become bad for you. We also use toxins to bring health to people, like snake venom. So I'm speaking about toxins in a contextual way, and less definitional. It sounds like you have identified what is bad for you already. View those as toxins. I think its better to speak contextually so that you can appropriate for your own situation, and others for theirs There are better ppl to help you identify those things bad for you if you want specifics. I think internet just removes us too far for me to risk specificity online. Also, wyo rose check out "How to do battle with stress and over-eating". I appropriated one of your quotes for the thread, if its ok. I put alittle more info that addresses your concerns.

Comment

Wow, you almost need a college degree in nutrition to eat these days.

I don't know about toxins or any of those things, but I have found that if I don't eat European introduced food, I feel better, lose weight (still losing!) and I'm not cranky or hungry or having bad blood sugars.

I still have carbs. I eat a lot of green corn. I live in FL and it is fresh around here all year round. So I'm not cutting back on carbs. I also make hominy and corn cakes and such. But there is something in wheat flour and some other flours that A/ Makes my blood sugars go wild, B/ makes me unnaturally crave more, C/ makes me sick feeling and the rest sounds like the side effects disclaimer on a fancy new drug commercial.

I also still have sweets. I have fresh or home dried fruit, and I have maple sugar (within reason). No other sugars or sweeteners. If something tastes funny with maple sugar, I probably wasn't meant to eat it anyway.

I found a place where I can buy grass fed buffalo meat. YUMMM! I also have fresh fish and turkey...greens of all kinds and veggies and lovely wild rice.

I don't know if there are toxins in those things. One time I was going to make a bark tea and I was warned not to because there had been mining in the area a hundred years ago and earth elements might have leached into the tree. Oops...I had made bark tea for many years in those woods.

I heard of organic spinach being recalled at one time because some natural fertilizer had tainted the plants. So you can't go by the word "natural" because arsenic is natural. You can't go by organic because a lot of things bad for you are organic too.

If a diet like that of your ancestors works for you, then I'd say it probably works for a reason. Your constitution wasn't meant for wheat and sugar and hamburger helper and red dye number 3.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have consistantly lost weight on my pre-1492 diet and I am feeling like I am much younger than my age. I suspect I will stop losing weight when I get to about where I'm supposed to be.

It does take meal planning though. I was already a bit of a meal planner because so many diabetics in the family. And it all takes some prep time. But I gotta say, this food tastes way better than European food. Even if it weren't making me feel this great, I'd want to eat this food.

I guess I have to just hope that it isn't toxic.

Comment

Tried the weblink but it says that that page is no longer there. Any other sites to try?

Comment

Originally posted by goodrunner View Post
                Tried the weblink but it says that that page is no longer there. Any other sites to try?
                Sorry about that!

I usually post the entire story, just in case the link expires.
                sigpic

Comment

This article is very useful for diabetes,Glad that you shared it with us.I appreciate you.These ways are undoubtedly very useful when it comes to diabetes.Keep sharing useful stuff like this.It will help us a lot.
                  Last edited by Alzender; 04-06-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alzender View Post
                    This article is very useful for diabetes,Glad that you shared it with us.I appreciate you.These ways are undoubtedly very useful when it comes to diabetes.Keep sharing useful stuff like this.It will help us a lot.
                    Because you are a for profit "personal trainer" as per your signature? Or because you have diabetes?

Comment

Probiotics

An overgrowth of yeast in the body can cause sugar cravings. Taking probiotics or adding good yoghurt to your diet can be a big help.

Yeast needs sugar to survive in our gut. It makes us crave sugar. Probiotics kill the yeast and help to stop cravings.

I've been diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycaemia. One Nan had a Diabetic Coma and my other Pop lost his foot to Type 1 Diabetes.

I have a love hate relationship with sugar :/

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.