Lumbee's Stealing Another Tribal Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An 1867 report on the Cheraw branch of the eastern Sioux locates their
    territory west of the Cape Fear River and as far north as the Little River (Gregg
    1867; Loftfield 1979: 20). Later sources, however, suggest that the Cheraw
    territory was located only farther west, in the western piedmont or foothills
    (Swanton 1979[ 1946]). Indeed these Native American "territories" may never
    have been geographically fixed over time, the way the Europeans attempted
    to delineate and draw them. A party of British explorers led by Captain William
    Hilton attempted to colonize the Lower Cape Fear River Valley in 1662 but
    apparently the British were repelled by Siouan Cape Fear Indians when they
    persisted in capturing and selling natives into slavery (Williamson 1973[ 1812]).
    Subsequent English settlements beginning in 1664 along the Lower Cape
    Fear River largely were abandoned by 1690, because of lack of financial
    support and violent confrontations with Cape Fear Indians (Lee 1965;
    Williamson 1973[ 1812]. Oates (1981) explains initial
    reductions in the possible past distribution of the Siouan groups by
    claiming that the Cheraw were sent westward by the Governor of Carolina to
    join the Catawba branch of the Sioux before the Highland Scots entered the
    Upper Cape Fear area in the 1730s. Oates asserts, therefore, that the Scots
    never had "to deal with the Indians"
    Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

After European settlement of the upper Cape Fear River region beginning
      in the 1730s, Native American habitation in the Fort Bragg region is poorly
      documented except for later references to the Henry Berry Lowry Gang
      incidents related to Native Americans who now are identified as Lumbee. The
      Lumbee people, who mostly live south of the project area in Robeson County,
      sometimes identify themselves as an Indian group of mixed extraction
      including Algonkian Croatan or Siouan
      11 Page 12 13

Cape Fear heritage and English heritage from the Lost Colony settlers (Blu 1980;
      Dial 1993; Dial and Eliades 1975; Evans 1971). By contrast, Sider (1993)
      associates the Lumbee closely with Iroquoian Indian communities who now
      call themselves "Tuscarora." Blu (1980) suggests that, because the area now
      known as Robeson County was largely ungovernable during a North versus
      South Carolina border dispute between 1712 and 1776 (Lefler and Newsome
      1963), it became an early refuge and amalgamation center for all nearby
      Indian communities fleeing European soldiers, colonists, and their imported
      diseases. Thus the beginnings of a generic "Indian"identity apart from
      earlier political and linguistic groupings likely dates to that time period and is not
      just a contemporary fad and epiphenomenon of contemporary social
      politics. The first Cumberland County taxables list in 1755, for example, listed
      a man with the Indian name Lockalear [sic], now commonly considered a
      Lumbee name, along with ten others in the "mulattoe" or "free blacks" category
      (Parker 1990: 4, 15). In 1835, the State of North
      Carolina disenfranchised "free people of color" who then could no longer vote,
      bear arms, testify against whites in court, sit on juries, attend state-funded schools,
      or select their own ministers. These legal changes resulted in many land losses for
      the ancestors of the present-day self-proclaimed Tuscarora and Lumbee
      Indians who began raiding white plantations by the onset of the Civil War
      (Sider 1993: 159-160). Increasingly, Robeson County Indians and other "free
      persons of color" were pressured to labor, albeit with a daily wage, along
      with African American slaves on

Comment

Geez CYSA, please don't be shy! Tell us a little of what you know! LOL
        Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

The 1980
          census listed 3,900 Lumbee or Tuscarora living in Cumberland County, many
          residing in East Fayetteville

how do you go from 3,900 to 40,000 in 20 years?

Comment

http://home.att.net/~hbridges/sandhi...ies.htm#page10

this is the site that has all this info

I don't know it all , I read alot

alos there was a NC Indian Commissioenr named Blue anyone remember him, late 70's maybe? was supposed to be lumbee - but with blue for a last name sounds like Catawba to me

Comment

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/mcpherson/mcpherson.html

here you go read the governmental report, the same government the Lumbees wish would fix their mistake from the git go

this is what the government thought at the time

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
                The 1980

That was the census record for Cumberland County. Most of the Lumbee live in Robeson County. The first census records of Indians in Robeson County dates back to the early 1700's.
                Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

Temper Temper....?

Originally posted by Gache
                  Coyote I thought you were more intelligent but Im obviously wrong.

First of all what I mean by sell out is that indians who are putting down other indians whether it be for blood quantum, language skills, culture, powwow skills whatever, for the sake of preserving their almighty buck at least they think they are.

I learned about the eastern cherokees selling out from some kituwah band members and I would go into the story but most cherokees already know it, not for some damn book because I dont read books about the cherokee bc frankly I dont give a crap about them.

And dont give me your BS about tribal council you morons are the ones that voted em in. So whatever council you have your responsible for. That includes those so called conservative cherokees.

As far as the proverbial revolution indians first have to realize they can be more than slaves before their willing to do anything about it.
                  Gache like I usually say you over estimate me....

However I do see your point in paragraph one and agree....

Don't give a crap about dem Cherokee....Well for that matter I don't either.....Oh by the way calling folks..."Cherokee" is like calling you Cheyenne.....Think about it.

I don't vote...although I think? My sister does....For that matter a number of relatives @ home do. As fas as being conservative..That can be a tricky word....(Oh! there's that word "tricky" again....)

Oh and Gache....Is that mental slavery, physical slavery, psychological slavery...Oh I can go on....Geez I didn't figure the Buckskin and bows comment was get this far....

Your point is well taken and respected....
                  "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Coyote

You got me when my temper was already boiling over indians picking on other indians. Once again I apologize for being too hot headed.

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
                      The 1980

From the Cat in the Hat

" When a mommy cat and a daddy cat love each other very much........"
                      Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

okay my bad

the 1980 census for robeson county was 22488 i think or close to that

now in 1990 it was 50,0000, dang lost my writing, anyway thats still over 20,00 lumbees being born or recognized by their tribe that is a lot of people in 10 years

Comment

Uh, uh, uh.......
                          Life is more than what we see...

Comment

You've accounted for two counties in the entire state... let alone the country. There's also alot of Lumbees in the other counties surrounding Robeson County (i.e. Scotland, Hoke, Bladen, and Columbus). Take all those counties into consideration, take the Lumbees in Baltimore MD, include the Lumbees that are scattered around the rest of the state and country, account for the difference in birth rate and death rate, and I'm sure you can verify that 50,000 is a legitimate number.
                            A bit of health advice:
                            "Every time you sit in with a drum means that you've sat in with every person who has ever sat in with that drum before."
                            -Dr. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House
                              Gache like I usually say you over estimate me....

However I do see your point in paragraph one and agree....

Don't give a crap about dem Cherokee....Well for that matter I don't either.....Oh by the way calling folks..."Cherokee" is like calling you Cheyenne.....Think about it.

I don't vote...although I think? My sister does....For that matter a number of relatives @ home do. As fas as being conservative..That can be a tricky word....(Oh! there's that word "tricky" again....)

Oh and Gache....Is that mental slavery, physical slavery, psychological slavery...Oh I can go on....Geez I didn't figure the Buckskin and bows comment was get this far....

Your point is well taken and respected....
                              awww mannnn!!why do ya gotta mention pizza (talking about under yar user name where it ya suppose to put yar nations name)...now im hungry *lmao*thanks alot *roflamo* okay i guess that means yup im gonna order pizza...my sister anna is dateing the son of v.p. of marco's...so we get free pizza *lmao*nananana *sticks out tongue**rofl*

Comment

okay so did anybudy else come up with any sources yet on the lumbee connection? i mean on the Cheraw i honest could find very little..

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.