Lumbee's Stealing Another Tribal Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrate Yourself

Show that you honor the sacradness of your spirit,the agility of your body,the support of your spine and bone structure,the way that your feet meet the ground,giving balance to your earthly form.Notice the sparkle in your eyes and the willingness of your body to move to the rithms of your heart beat.honor your ability to think and to reason and stand tall and draw upon your human grace as you walk with the pleasure found in muscle and bone and then and only then you will know the true pleasure of being who you trully are. RUNNINGDEER Chiricahua Apache.

Comment

Originally posted by sergio RUNNINGDEER1
      Show that you honor the sacradness of your spirit,the agility of your body,the support of your spine and bone structure,the way that your feet meet the ground,giving balance to your earthly form.Notice the sparkle in your eyes and the willingness of your body to move to the rithms of your heart beat.honor your ability to think and to reason and stand tall and draw upon your human grace as you walk with the pleasure found in muscle and bone and then and only then you will know the true pleasure of being who you trully are. RUNNINGDEER Chiricahua Apache.
      huh? wut does that have to do with this thread????? :?????: :Thinking :dontknow:

Comment

And as an example of what was being said!
        Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by hidatsawmn26
          okay so did anybudy else come up with any sources yet on the lumbee connection? i mean on the Cheraw i honest could find very little..
          Sago, on the Official Lumbee site, there a link of a PDF file called Federal Recognition. On page four, this is what is said.

http://www.lumbeetribe.com/recognition/index.htm

Ouoted:
          In recent times, Department staff that administers the administrative process has express some concern about the absence of a genealogical connection between the modern day Lumbee Tribe and the historic Cheraw Tribe; unfortunately, birth and deaths of tribal members were simply not recorded by the dominant society in the early 1700’s so that a genealogical connection cannot be made. Nonetheless, the historic connection is clear-the Cheraw Tribe was located precisely where the Lumbee Tribe is today and the Cheraw has the same surnames typical of the Lumbee tribe today, such as Locklear, Chavis, Groom, and others.
          Last edited by Ndnsummer; 06-03-2004, 11:30 AM.
          "Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
          Steven Wright.

Comment

Well you know I can be a wise azz from time 2 time

Originally posted by Gache
            Coyote

You got me when my temper was already boiling over indians picking on other indians. Once again I apologize for being too hot headed.
            It's ignorant though and embarrassing to listen, see, or experience the dissension....Sounds like divide and conquer to me.....Dumb Azzes anyway.....More Svta.....

It's all good Gache....Your one of the few who make it worthwhile here.....
            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

It's all about being Funny.....Folks need 2 Laugh more...Ya'know

Originally posted by hidatsawmn26
              awww mannnn!!why do ya gotta mention pizza (talking about under yar user name where it ya suppose to put yar nations name)...now im hungry *lmao*thanks alot *roflamo* okay i guess that means yup im gonna order pizza...my sister anna is dateing the son of v.p. of marco's...so we get free pizza *lmao*nananana *sticks out tongue**rofl*
              That's just it....."suppose to" I stay of the beaten path....Prefer to blaze my very own trail....Why be Normal.....That's such a boring word....

Ahh Dee Oh Gahz (phonetic)
              "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Originally posted by Heat Miser J
                You've accounted for two counties in the entire state... let alone the country. There's also alot of Lumbees in the other counties surrounding Robeson County (i.e. Scotland, Hoke, Bladen, and Columbus). Take all those counties into consideration, take the Lumbees in Baltimore MD, include the Lumbees that are scattered around the rest of the state and country, account for the difference in birth rate and death rate, and I'm sure you can verify that 50,000 is a legitimate number.
                Son,

Thanks for putting it in terms we can all understand. As evidenced by some of the posts/posters on this thread, we're not always dealing with some of the brightest bulbs in the light fixture. :18:
                "They go out, kick butt, shake your hand and walk off the court." -- Sportswriter and longtime UNC supporter, Art Chansky, on Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils

"I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now." Roy Williams, April 7, 2003

Comment

okay so let me get this straight in under 10 years the Lumbee tribe jumped from say 20,000(not accurate but close) to 50,000(not accurate but close)

so that means 2,000 lumbees were born each year for at least 10 years give or take -you know twins .... but the Lumbees are now hodling at 50,000 and not having anymore babies?

what happend from 1980 to 1990 that is not going on from 1990 to 2004???????

and out of curiosity - how do you decide who is enrolled - by blood, by parents, by what? by grandparents?

if by blood how do you determine blood? 1/2, full ,etc.....

I was jsut wondering cause I just haven't asked and don't think I've seen it anywhere either about enrollment - like some tribes are by parents - or a roll from 1926 or what year you are born......
                  Last edited by Okwataga; 06-03-2004, 04:07 PM.
                  Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
                    okay so let me get this straight in under 10 years the Lumbee tribe jumped from say 20,000(not accurate but close) to 50,000(not accurate but close)

so that means 2,000 lumbees were born each year for at least 10 years give or take -you know twins .... but the Lumbees are now hodling at 50,000 and not having anymore babies?

what happend from 1980 to 1990 that is not going on from 1990 to 2004???????

and out of curiosity - how do you decide who is enrolled - by blood, by parents, by what? by grandparents?

if by blood how do you determine blood? 1/2, full ,etc.....

I was jsut wondering cause I just haven't asked and don't think I've seen it anywhere either about enrollment - like some tribes are by parents - or a roll from 1926 or what year you are born......
                    See what I mean?

Sometimes it's just not worth the effort.
                    "They go out, kick butt, shake your hand and walk off the court." -- Sportswriter and longtime UNC supporter, Art Chansky, on Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils

"I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now." Roy Williams, April 7, 2003

Comment

No, I think the question has merit. I'm wondering what the enrollment criteria is myself, and was going to ask.
                      Steven Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndnsummer
                        No, I think the question has merit. I'm wondering what the enrollment criteria is myself, and was going to ask.
                        You might think a little more on that then. ;)

As to the second issue, I'll let one of the fine Lumbee posters on here lay it out eloquently for all interested parties. Unlike folks on here from some of the "real" tribes (wink, wink), I don't believe there's a blood quantum requirement. I think it's all about linkage to folks who are already on the rolls. However, being the uniformed degenerate that I am, I am not exactly certain how close you must be. My advice: if you're that interested, feel free to call or visit the Lumbee Tribal Council in Pembroke. Remember, however, my warning in the translation of that ancient Lumbee saying posted in another one of the various threads discussing the many facets of the fabled Lumbee culture: "Lumbee-haters that show up in Pembroke will get cut." Hawkbill is tool of choice, I might add.
                        Last edited by Blue Devils Advocate; 06-03-2004, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Devils Advocate
                          You might think a little more on that then. ;)

As to the second issue, I'll let one of the fine Lumbee posters on here lay it out eloquently for all interested parties. Unlike folks on here from some of the "real" tribes (wink, wink), I don't believe there's a blood quantum requirement. I think it's all about linkage to folks who are already on the rolls. However, being the uniformed degenerate that I am, I am not exactly certain how close you must be. My advice: if you're that interested, feel free to call or visit the Lumbee Tribal Council in Pembroke.
                          Sago! Thank you, I did call already. You're correct, there is no blood quantum, they have to trace their ancestry to the historical Lumbee list. They mentioned a base list from 1890 to 1910. If you have an ancestor on that list you can be enrolled.
                          Steven Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
                            Cheraw's were actually adopted into the Catawba's. There may have been a few that went to the gathering of a bunch a people that would later be called Lumbee's but if you check inot Catawba tribal history, Cheraw's were actually assiminated into their tribe.
                            This is true to an extent, but it's not the whole story.

Before the Cheraw moved in with the Catawba there was a split in the tribe. One group merged with the Catawba while the other remained in the Pee Dee region for a little while eventually merging with remnants from other closely related Siouan tribes (the Keyauwee being the biggest) moving North to the swamps in Robeson County. (See John Swanton's work if you want to read up on it).

Many of the other Cheraw eventually left the Catawba and joined their relatives in Robeson County as well.

Since we are on the subject of Catawba oral history it's important to note that Mary Brown Brewer, "the last fluent Catawba speaker," stated that the Croatan (as Lumbees were called during her lifetime) lived with them at one time (which the Cheraw did, and, at various points in time, most of the other Siouan speaking Indians in the area as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Devils Advocate
                              Remember, however, my warning in the translation of that ancient Lumbee saying posted in another one of the various threads discussing the many facets of the fabled Lumbee culture: "Lumbee-haters that show up in Pembroke will get cut." Hawkbill is tool of choice, I might add.
                              Now, I would hate to think that nice lady who answered my questions, would cut my throat if I went in and asked questions. :)
                              Steven Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndnsummer
                                Now, I would hate to think that nice lady who answered my questions, would cut my throat if I went in and asked questions. :)
                                That part was strictly for the HATERS. I think they know (and as evidenced by their "information-seeking" posts on this thread and others, we all know) who they are. :rtf:
                                Last edited by Blue Devils Advocate; 06-03-2004, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.