Lumbee's Stealing Another Tribal Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Devils Advocate
    You might think a little more on that then. ;)
    "Lumbee-haters that show up in Pembroke will get cut." Hawkbill is tool of choice, I might add.

Somehow I think that this kind of talk is against the guidelines but overall it's not necessary... Had you directed that at an individual there would be a huge problem.. and might still be if one of the moderators from this section see this.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
      Somehow I think that this kind of talk is against the guidelines but overall it's not necessary... Had you directed that at an individual there would be a huge problem.. and might still be if one of the moderators from this section see this.
      Slow down, slow down. You are taking things just a tad too seriously. For those who don't know, there are long running jokes about Lumbees and knives. Sorry if have offended anyone. But have a little humor. Just having fun with some of the posts on this board that are directly and indirectly intended to put down Lumbees.
      Last edited by Blue Devils Advocate; 06-03-2004, 10:00 PM.
      "They go out, kick butt, shake your hand and walk off the court." -- Sportswriter and longtime UNC supporter, Art Chansky, on Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils

"I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now." Roy Williams, April 7, 2003

Comment

Well now you should have put a J/ks or jks after it cause it in no way sounded like joking sorry to say.... but ok then.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ndnsummer
          Sago! Thank you, I did call already. You're correct, there is no blood quantum, they have to trace their ancestry to the historical Lumbee list. They mentioned a base list from 1890 to 1910. If you have an ancestor on that list you can be enrolled.

i heard they're looking to pass a resolution or something to change that---to 1 quarter i think? anybody wanna back me up on that one?????

blackbear,
          the hawkbill thing is a long-standing joke--i'm sure they could have worded it differently though (for those who don't know)--let's keep it clean people!!!

blue devils advocate,
          thanks for seeing it from our perspective--just to make a general statement.....there seems 2 be a lot of lumbee-haters on these boards
          Last edited by geronimo; 06-04-2004, 12:31 AM.
          No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hey now, I didn't take it as a threat, just a friendly warning that not all folks are as nice as Blue Devil is. ;)
            "Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
            Steven Wright.

Comment

Yeah I've never heard any of the knife jokes.. so I had no clue it was joking and that really bothered me until I was informed. It's all ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Devils Advocate
                That part was strictly for the HATERS. I think they know (and as evidenced by their "information-seeking" posts on this thread and others, we all know) who they are. :rtf:
                so those who don't know and are looking to find out to better their own knowledge should never ask a Lumbee anything then!!!!! b/c we hate?????

Some of us don't hate some of us realy do want to learn and know things - we can only go by what we're told and what is written

I have many friends from many different countries and here from different nationalities/ backgrounds - and have pretty much asked them questions to which most have answered with out problem - see you perpetuate the angst among the NC tribes - by not helping to understand the Lumbees their people, tribe, heritage, culture, language.... I ask these questions cause the only answers I ever get are the same one over and over and over which is exactly what is written down - now some have said that the Lumbee history i.e.was never recorded - so like most tribes there has to be some oral history somewhere that someone would be willing to tell others - but if the Lumbees keep things bottled up and call us haters for asking - then what else are we to learn and help us to form a better position with the Lumbees

I mean if everyone says there is no current Lumbee language, then okay i believe that - then i meet a man that says he speaks the Lumbee language - then i get confused

follow....

not hating, just trying to understand and learn

my bad for seeking knowledge
                Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

They say there is no blood quantum, but there are restrictions. My aunts both married non-Indians (my aunts are both "full blood"). When they came home to certify their kids they were told that their children qualified for enrollment, but if their children didn't marry another Lumbee, then their grandchildren would not be eligible for enrollment.

I think part of it was that they do not live in Robeson Co. They were told that they couldn't identify with being Lumbee because they didn't live in the county. So there is predjudice even within the tribe. But that's another story all together.
                  Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
                    so those who don't know and are looking to find out to better their own knowledge should never ask a Lumbee anything then!!!!! b/c we hate?????

Some of us don't hate some of us realy do want to learn and know things - we can only go by what we're told and what is written

I have many friends from many different countries and here from different nationalities/ backgrounds - and have pretty much asked them questions to which most have answered with out problem - see you perpetuate the angst among the NC tribes - by not helping to understand the Lumbees their people, tribe, heritage, culture, language.... I ask these questions cause the only answers I ever get are the same one over and over and over which is exactly what is written down - now some have said that the Lumbee history i.e.was never recorded - so like most tribes there has to be some oral history somewhere that someone would be willing to tell others - but if the Lumbees keep things bottled up and call us haters for asking - then what else are we to learn and help us to form a better position with the Lumbees

I mean if everyone says there is no current Lumbee language, then okay i believe that - then i meet a man that says he speaks the Lumbee language - then i get confused

follow....

Uh... ok.
                    "They go out, kick butt, shake your hand and walk off the court." -- Sportswriter and longtime UNC supporter, Art Chansky, on Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils

"I could give a sh*t about North Carolina right now." Roy Williams, April 7, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House
                      That's just it....."suppose to" I stay of the beaten path....Prefer to blaze my very own trail....Why be Normal.....That's such a boring word....

Ahh Dee Oh Gahz (phonetic)
                      ya got taht right normal is boring

Comment

Well maybe this is what you can do.....

Originally posted by CYSA

follow....

Take a trip it's not too far either...If your interest does indeed exist...Visit with them.....And by chance if you have....Well that's good.....Note; a tsvta is a tsvta...Hence the ole saying....One rotten apple can spoil a whole bunch. The thoughts of a few certainly cannot reflect the thoughts of many.....Slip on a pair of their Nikes and walk a little....Then think about it.

Sgi
                        "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

I think there aren't as many Lumbee haters on here as some people would like to believe.
                          All over this site people say the same thing. Ask questions if you want to learn.
                          So, people ask questions to try to learn and understand something they don't and you get people who want to automatically start talking trash and calling names. Especially if it is a question concerning Lumbee's.
                          This, to me, would seem like a good time for Lumbees' to educate people about their tribe and their ways instead of calling people ignorant and haters.
                          HELLO, of course they are ignorant about your tribe or they wouldn't be asking questions in the first place.

Let's direct these questions to another tribe and see if they start trying to talk about pulling knives and people being to
                          " ignorant" to understand!

Instead of putting people down for wanting to know about the Lumbee's, why not try sharing your trubal cultural?
                          Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Hey FancyStar,
                            I have to admit--you've toned it down a bit over the years. But don't be to quick to act so innocent. I specifically remember you in particular, saying things in the past. Maybe, your views have changed slightly but I have a hard time believing true whole-hearted sincerity here.
                            Life is more than what we see...

Comment

I am not saying my views have changed. I just don't recall getting on here and calling people names because they don't agree with my views. It's childish and immature and when I volunteer at the daycare I see it all the time.
                              Trust me, I am so NOT innocent it's funny. ( in a sadistic way of course).
                              I just get tired of people getting jumped on by Lumbee's when they try to learn more about them. If CYSA and Singerdad are asking questions, maybe they are trying to learn something. They are actually curiouse to learn more about Lumbee ways. Hell , if they want threats they can go steal somebody stash at a Big Cove party!

Hell, you don't hear us say, Let's take it to the Loop, do you?
                              We aren't getting on here saying, Let's solve this Big Cove Style, do you?
                              No. you have people asking questions and looking for answers. The only answers they recieve is being called names, Haters, and being downed for the quest for knowledge.

Dang, what are youns' going to do when the Senate starts asking these questions up on the capital? Are you going to call them ignorant for not knowing? Go ahead call them some haters and threaten to cut them if they ask those questions in Pembroke!
                              I'm sure that will help your cause greatly!

As for my view of the Lumbee's, I have always said and it has been agreed by almost every Lumbee in here one way or another on this board, that Lumbees are not the same as every other recognized tribe. They are not a SPECIFIC tribe. They are a collection of people, with indians mixed in, that lived together in NC and assimilated European ways to become the modern mixture known today as Lumbees. NO, I don't believe Lumbee's are a specific tribe. Yes, I do believe they have indian mixed in there somewhere, but No I don't believe they can claim one tribe. They can't say, they are Cheraw or are Tuscarora. No they are a mixture of different tribes and slaves and white and whatever else was in the region. While the evidence of this Indian ancestory may still be evident in some aspects of Lumbee life today, unfortunately the rest of thier culture is gone.

I know this will piss off some of you and you'll resort to violence,but hey this is how I feel. I don't feel the need to argue with people about it.

If you are so interested in proving me wrong, then show some Lumbee honor and diginty and represent your tribe. When people ask you questions, treat them like you want to be treated. If people still treat you disrespectfully, there isn't a damn thing you can do but smile, raise your head high and believe in yourself.
                              Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

If you are so interested in proving me wrong, then show some Lumbee honor and diginty and represent your tribe. When people ask you questions, treat them like you want to be treated. If people still treat you disrespectfully, there isn't a damn thing you can do but smile, raise your head high and believe in yourself.

I am not in disagreement with that. And I personally don't encourage jokes about cutting people and things like that. However, I think the frustration stems from the same questions being asked over and over again. When the answer comes through--its still not good enough! No matter what you tell someone, if they have a preconceived notion about a particular thing--its a little difficult to convince otherwise. And I am not about to convince anything....especially to someone who chooses to remain ignorant. The fact remains. And shouldn't need further explanation. We are Indian people. I don't have any animosity towards you, fancystar or anyone else. Noone is perfect. I myself am ignorant to some things. Just be careful. Judging always comes back on you. I try to look at things from all perspectives. I think its important. It helps to keep me humble.
                                Life is more than what we see...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X