No announcement yet.

Lumbee's Stealing Another Tribal Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One traditional observation about the Lumbee people that has been overlooked. . . .

Tobacco.

Tobacco cultivation and farming is one rich tradition of Lumbee culture. Wild tobacco originally grew in what is now Robeson County and was cultivated into a species called Nicotiana rustica, and farmed by the tribes which now comprise the modern Lumbee.

Last week, the Lumbee Nation hosted the first powwow that I ever heard of that was (commercial) Tobacco Free! It was made clear to me that the Lumbee still grow tobacco and have been doing so long before other western tribes, who use tobacco in their ceremonies, came in contact with it.

It was echoed by the sponsors and committee of the Lumbee powwow that commercial tobacco used today is devastating to Indian people and tobacco should be used in it's purist form - for ceremonial use only.

Yet, in the heart of Indian Country, commercial tobacco (loaded with manmade, harmful additives and addictive chemicals) is used in religious ceremonies and given as gifts by many tribes west of Lumbee country.

It was through April Wittemore, that I first saw what Indian harvested wild tobacco looked like - when she shared giant tobacco leaf ties with any and everyone at the Gathering of Nations, when she represented the Lumbee Nation, during her reign as Miss Indian World.

Thank you Lumbee people for sharing tobacco with the rest of the Indian Nations and the rest of the United States of America!!!! Tobacco IS a part of your culture.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 05-12-2005, 03:14 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

i mentioned farming and you're on the money, it's a big part of us. but, our people farm tobacco that eventually ends up in cigarettes - it's a paradox for sure.....although, we still use it a lot for medicinal things and then some ceremonial.....but, w/these buy-outs you're seeing less and less tobacco farmers down home - they're outsourcing tobacco farming bigtime

you're right...our agricultural roots are still here bigtime - i helped my grandma plant our family garden last year - and even though i live away from home my butt has to be there in the summer to do corn, beans, squash, cucumbers & all that other good stuff - and, i never forget how my great grandma used to rub tobacco on my bee stings when i'd get stung in the grapevines......oh, and never try to talk about hard work in front of family who grew up in the fields...they think us kids are lazy compared to their "hard labor"

glad you had a good time in lumland!!!
      No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
        LG... did you read the article? This has to do with the infamous 22... those 22 people that were recognized as indians. The original tester proved they were indian by means of cranial bumps and wether their hair got curly when wet or could hold a pencil in it...but never said which tribe they were... one bia document says they were tuscarora another says they were'nt... but in nearly all the cases, they were saying one sibling in a family was indian and the other was'nt....
        The irony is that only a handfull of people were tested. As lucrative and obserd as these tests were, if the government would have examined the whole tribe (over 12,000 at the time) instead of only about 200 people there would have been somewhere around 1500 people recognized instead of only 22!

Yeah I know these tests were rediculous, I just thought this was an interesting observation.

Another interesting observation is how just over twenty years prior to this (in the McPherson report, for anyone who wants to look it up) the government stated that the "magority" of the tribe's members were over 3/4 Indian Blood.

It's interesting how when it came to actually recognizing and providing services the story just up and changed all of a sudden!

Comment

Don't Forget Textiles Too!

Excellent posts my friends and Lumbee brothers and sisters. It is good to know that many see the VAST problems facing our people and the things that bother some of us concerning the "slack" we get from others from time to time (not all the time and not from all, but it is there).

Lets not forget Cotton and other Textiles as Lumbee Culture. The ancestors of the Lumbee were cultivating Cotton long before the Europeans arrived. This continues to this day and many Lumbe Elders can still weave Native textiles by hand from both Cotton, Cattails (the reeds and the fibers), spanish moss and pine needles, just to metion a few.

It is these Lumbee Arts and many more that I would like to see more of and more doing especially since more and more Elders that know these arts are passing. It would be great to see more of thes and other Lumbee Arts at a Lumbee event.

Comment

...and I thought these tribes were amongst the people the physically disappeared down south-!!!-j/k. But seriously, very interesting reading as I am totally ignorant as to Lumbee-Cheraw-Cherokee education etc... again, seriously, as a teen I lived in Philly (PA) and the family that ran the NDN Ctr there claimed to be Lumbee. They were very proud in who they were and what they did although they were criticized for their very dark skin...etc. I also met a gentleman at Mt. Pleasant PW a few years ago who claimed to be a part of a tribe that had been sold into slavery down in the southern islands-he was very knowledgeable about his culture and just a beautiful human being. I want to thank all for the interesting reading this a.m. and the links to study more on these subjects.
            Last edited by La + * Mom; 05-13-2005, 10:00 AM.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Ohontsia
              ...and I thought these tribes were amongst the people the physically disappeared down south-!!!-j/k. . . .

Ohontsia,

Having travelled all my life throughout Indian Country, I do want to comment on how nice looking the Lumbee people are - as a culture.

I and my wife both agreed the Lum's are an extremely good looking people!!! (and I think my wife is beautiful). So this is coming from someone whose opinion, I deeply respect.

I just talked to my 'bro in Albuquerque. I told him that this is one powwow he HAS to plan on coming to next year. (My 'bro is single! ) *L
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Any of the lums going to the Thunder falls powwow in July? I saw a Lumbee strawberry and frybread stand at the Salamanca powwow a few years ago but don't know who they were.

OH and just out of curiosity.. is there a lumbee indian word for cotton that you guys are aware of?
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Ohontsia, That would have been my cousins the Dimalanta's in Philly. Yes, they are Lumbee. I am not sure but there may have been other Lums in that area. FancyFingers can answer that part.
                  Becky B.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                    I just talked to my 'bro in Albuquerque. I told him that this is one powwow he HAS to plan on coming to next year. (My 'bro is single! ) *L
                    Am I reading this right or are you trying to fix me up with your bro????!!! j/k WhoMe, you're a card...just cracked me up on a pretty crappy work day though!!!
                    Last edited by La + * Mom; 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbear
                      Any of the lums going to the Thunder falls powwow in July? I saw a Lumbee strawberry and frybread stand at the Salamanca powwow a few years ago but don't know who they were.
                      MMMMMmmmm strawberries.... there are some huge stawberry patches down the rd from my parents house....

dang i miss home
                      Last edited by []FlyByNyte[]; 05-17-2005, 09:09 AM.
                      Ancial
                      StoneyCreekSingers.com

Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.

Comment

• Hey BB, that was probably Ms. Dosha's booth - she stays in Baltimore and has a food booth at lots of powwows.
                        Becky B.

Comment

• OK... but it had a couple guys working it.. not gals LOL
                          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

• She's the mama - alot of times she isn't even there. It could be another booth though - there are several Lumbee food booths.
                            Becky B.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.