Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i don't dance @ powwows---am i indian????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i don't dance @ powwows---am i indian????

Question for all you out there who powwow, (mostly for lumbees)
    i don't mean for this to be a blanketed statement--it's some individuals as opposed to a majority or collective group

(SOME) people have this attitude of.........
    if you don't dance, you're not indian--
    what do you all make of that?? i usually want to respond with,

1 do you know anything about your own tribe's history??

2 could you sit down and explain our communities down home and name your families 6,7,8+ generations back??

3 do you realize how many work behind the scenes to make your powwow & other programs/undertakings the successes they are?

there are plenty of lumbees (& others) out there who say these things & it irks me b/c anyone who's halfway intelligent or schooled in the ways of us, knows a powwow is not a lumbee thing---sure, it's a pan-indian gathering now, and that's fine.......i'm not knocking them, i love them myself!!!!!!!

but, whatever happened to knowing where you came from?? +++is that not important anymore?+++++

speaking from my own experience, sometimes it's city lums who are the worst-(not all, plenty know their stuff & have parents who grew up in lumbee communities or maintain those ties-or even may not but still know what it's like)-but, others....they didn't grow up down home (or in a tradish community), rarely visit their homeland (by choice or for some, circumstance,) they know nothing about how our communities function, and then.................................. they want to call US out for not being indian enough when all they've ever experienced is being socialized in a white society--they think a true lum is a locklear, oxendine, or hunt only!! OR someone who speaks lum ebonics--if you go to college & work a decent job you're a sell-out/white (which is ironic when lots of them have a white parent), and then you're also resented if you choose to work with your own indian people (which, believe me , pays nothing)--and it's not the older generations or those who've grown up down home, it's mostly the younger ones-that's not representin' the legacy our ancestors have worked so hard for

frustrating....................................... ............ :explode:
    Last edited by geronimo; 06-01-2004, 07:44 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

You're gonna find that in any indian community... and no you don't have to dance at powwows to be an indian.. it's not in the "how to be a real indian", handbook. :)
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

oh I know, it's that they don't know that pisses me off--just gets on my nerves
      No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

yeah i completely know the feeling i just started dancing like 2 months ago but before that I always felt liek I was competely indian enough to some people

Comment

YOU'RE NOT INDIAN!!! *L* jk
          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Last edited by KoolNDN; 03-31-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah and real indins get their feathers from Crazy Crow Mag. to dance with their fringed "buckskin" with the plastic beads hanging from the fringe. That's a TRUE Indian.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Seriously,

Is powwow a part of Lumbee culture or history?

The proofs in da' puddin!
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hey, everyone orders from Crazy Crow! Don't they?
                  I won't be dancing at pow-wows till next spring since I just found out I am going to have a baby. So I'll just wiat to be indian till next year when I start pow-wowing again! LMAO :)
                  Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

I care about my ancestors and all that the Great Creator gives us!

My great grandmother was Cherokee and my grandmother was also and married a white man with german ancestors.

I am the only one in the family line to end up with hazel eyes and dark blonde hair.

I have been invited to dance at intertribals, but I dont, because I look white.

After reading here on the boards for some time, it seems I would be opening myself up to ridicule for looking white and dancing.

I am still considering dancing at local powwows , because I want to honor my ancestors spirits.
                    Thats all I have to say about that... Let the judgement begin!
                    Last edited by ~Journey~; 06-10-2004, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Doh! Deadly combo...

Yep hazel eyes and dark blonde hair automatically preclude you from doing any powwow dancing. And you should admonish any of your friends who try to invite you into the circle cuz friends dont let friends look white and dance.
                      ~KB~

Comment

Oh Yeah! can't dance unless you have black hair, black eyes, bronze skin and high cheekbones! These are the requirments! Sorry! So I guess those girls out there that have black hair with the blond streaks aren't really supposed to be dancing! All you supposed indians with light eyes and freckles, GET OUT OF THE DAMN ARENA!!!

Where's my war bonnet with the turkey feathers?!!
                        Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

*LOL*@ FancyStar.
                          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Its all good and I can take the ribbing!

Comment

Journey, I wish I was native so that my words to you would perhaps have more of an impact on you. But under the universal code of existance we do not get to choose our parents;subsequently what color we are born. But it is not this that matters-and I have a strong feeling that you already know that. I understand that it's alot easier said than done;if I tell you not to care what people think and just get out there and honor your ancestors.You have the same right as everyone else to do so. The key is going to sound cliche' but it's the truth-you're strength lies within your heart;if you believe and honor your faith well then....everything else is just self-preservation.The glory a person recieves from standing alone in the face of immeasurable odds is far greater than standing in a group;in a group your just another shadow in a sea of shadows. Be proud and honor your ancestors in the way that they truly deserve to be honored!-Now go out there and kick some a**

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.