Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i don't dance @ powwows---am i indian????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And This One Time At Band Camp...................

Gonna Stop Singing so none of your Azzes will B "Indian"

OHEE..............
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

LOL! Just Rugged!

Originally posted by lbgood
          If you have Cherokee ancestry and what to know more about your cherokee heritage - shouldn't you be wanting to learn more about the stomp Dance rather than Powwows.

Because you look white-HMMMMMM! Thats becuz you are white HELLOOOOOOO!

You are WHITE with Cherokee ancestry.
          ~KB~

Comment

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House
            Gonna Stop Singing so none of your Azzes will B "Indian"

OHEE..............
            He's just talking about you Northern Indians. All you Southern Indians... youre safe with me. Aye!
            ~KB~

Comment

Originally posted by lbgood
              If you have Cherokee ancestry and what to know more about your cherokee heritage - shouldn't you be wanting to learn more about the stomp Dance rather than Powwows.

Because you look white-HMMMMMM! Thats becuz you are white HELLOOOOOOO!

You are WHITE with Cherokee ancestry.
              Exactly!!

I never claimed to be indian or full blood anything~!

The Stomp Dance

A firekeeper and his assistant begins early dawn starting the official sacred fire. He begins with small slivers of wood, inner most part of an oak tree called the sponge, flint and some rock to trigger a spark.

Sunrise: The men sit around talking about political issues and the women prepare a meal for the day which consists of traditional and modern food.

Later in the afternoon: Sermons are held in the Cherokee language. The sermon includes telling all to love all mankind.

After the sermon, a stickball game is played--an ancient Cherokee tradition that resembles the American La Crosse.

Sundown: Sermons continue. Each clan member takes turn by taking seven puffs of the old ceremonial pipe.

The Chief, medicine men, and elders hold a meeting then they call for the first dance. A second call is made. The first dance is by invitation only, tribal elders, elders, medicine men and clan heads.

The members gather to visit, feast and dance far into the night. It is a holy place to worship Unetlanv. No littering, liquor and rowdy behavior. Rules are written in the Cherokee language and posted on a board hung up for the public. The dance participants include a leader, assistants and one or more "shell-shakers" who wear leg rattles traditionally made out of turtle shells filled with pebbles but today some use cans filled with pebbles to provide rhythmic accompaniment while they dance around the fire. The ceremonial observance involves sacrifices made by the ceremonial leaders, prayers, taking medicine and going to water or river for ritual cleansing, and smoking of the pipe.

The Keetoowah's bible is not written on paper. The words are woven into seven wampum belts which are shown only in rare occasions. The belts are very old, and are made of pearls and shell beads, woven with seaweed fibers from the Gulf of Mexico. The history behind the belt is that many years ago, the tribe was preparing to go on to war with another tribe, when the medicine men foresaw which would survive, and cut the original wampum belt into seven pieces, giving one to each warrior. After the war, the belts were scattered, some being hidden and disappearing, the last one was recovered by Redbird Smith around 80 years ago.

There are seven arbors encircling the sacred fire. Each arbor represents the seven clans. Wolf (a-ni-wa-ya), Wild Potato (a-ni-go-ta-ge-wi) also known as the Bear Clan, Paint (a-ni-wo-di), Bird Clan (a-ni-tsi-ss-gwa), Long Hair (a-ni-gi-lo-hi) also known as Twister or Wind then the Blind Savannah as known as Blue (a-ni-sa-ho-ni).

The fire is very sacred to traditional Cherokees. It is built at the bottom of a pit below the ground, and burns constantly.

Today, there are over 200,000 Cherokee tribal members. Although many have chosen to worship through other religious denominations (Indian Baptist, Methodist, etc.), many continue to worship at regular Stomp Dances and are members of one of the several Grounds in Cherokee Nation.

I would prefer to honor my ancestors at a powwow, since it is more of a social event!

I know of the Stomp Dance and I worship the Great Creator in my own way! I was not raised in the Native ways , so I do not feel I should participate in the Stomp Dance.

Just a small matter of honoring My ancestors! Judge the way you like, I am judged by the Creator!
              smile:)

Comment

I like you even more!!!!! :p

Comment

Am I Indian if I don't dance at powwows?
                  Is that a rhetorical question?

Thats like asking "Am I White if I don't dance square dance?"

or..."Am I Chineese if I don't like rice?"

or..."Am I African if I don't like rap?"
                  yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Originally posted by tradish_wiyan
                    "Am I Chineese if I don't like rice?"
                    Never met a Chinese person who didnt like rice.
                    ~KB~

Comment

Howa!

Just a small matter of honoring My ancestors! Judge the way you like, I am judged by the Creator!
                      smile

"Can you hear a pin drop................."
                      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

ya'll , this is funny and everything , but does anyone want to reply @ what i was really getting at?

has any of this ever happened to ya'll?

how about if you live away from your rez or homeland or go away to the city for college?

are you resented or called a sell-out/white????? or are you resented for working for your own people?
                        is this universal or just a lumbee thing?
                        No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

This happens alot. I had a history teacher in high school; his whole family was probably close to full-blood, some of the other students would call him an apple on a regular basis. My favorite uncle in the world is full-blood; and always treated differently by his own brothers, not because he did something wrong, but because he went and got a good education, and held good jobs to support his family. Sometimes the racism and jealousy amungst our own family, people and tribes can cut worse than that, that comes from the outside in. I've been dancing since I was a little girl; not because of my father(he's a good hunter, not dancer), but because my granny b. would come get us and take us to powwows, whether or not my father wanted us to, she didn't ask him...I suppose what I'm trying to say is; you'll never be happy with yourself, or get far in life if your always worried about what other people will say and think, do what is right and be true to your ancestors...
                          Last edited by WocusWoman; 06-02-2004, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I think its universal.. i have a few relatives (cousins) that have passed up good opportunities because they may find themself as a sell out for moving into the city ...to get a better job..better education..etc etc.. and for those of us that have relocated to the city for pursuing our careers and education, i'm not speaking for all natives here that have moved off the rez.. just for myself, i'm only doing this because my reservation does not offer that much opportunity for growth in the career/education area.. the schools SUCK out on the rez, I want my kids to get a good education; and yes i'll admit the downfall to that is not having my children raised ON the reservation, but as a mother to my kids.. I do talk to them in our language and they can speak and understand it ..they do know they are Dine.. (even tho my son SOMETIMES says whats a dine??..he's only 4), my husband and i are teaching them their clans as well as what was taught to us when we were kids..but they are only 4 and 1 years old *L* ...they might not have that exposure to reservation life...but i think what is more important too is teaching them their language telling them where they ARE REALLY from....

but hey.... some of us are just trying to balance out both worlds :) and for some..they can't HANDLE both worlds so some just stick to one world..which im not saying is bad LOL... thats my take in this...

as for the dancing to be indian......

Comment

OK, now that i got my smart azz comment out of the way, I'll address the real issue. Ever hear of the comment about Natives being like "crabs in a bucket", once one tries to climb out, the rest of them drag him down. Sad but true...that happens. I've been called an "Apple, Sell-out, Wanna-be-white, acting white" because I did well in school and I got my education. I just pity those people because they are drowning in their own self-destructiveness. In order to make themselves feel better, they put others down who are successful. Thats not right. Its sad to see native people trying to keep others down (the settlers influence with boarding schools) and not helping them to rise up and be successful. Look back at history, the education system was not kind to natives, they cut their hair, they beat them and stole them away from their families. Now...if you dont' have an education, you are limiting yourselves to menial jobs and very meager prospects.

Just my 2 cents

*my smilies arent working!!!* *mad smiley supposed to be here*
                              yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

Geronimo, been waiting for you to reply all afternoon.....Hope our serious posts haven't driven you away.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.