"old school" "traditional" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "old school" "traditional" ?

what is your idea of old school or traditional. I'm going to hold my thoughts about this one. after a while i say what my feelings are. but for now i want to know what all of you have been "taught"? what is expected of you? do young people in your area still listen to your elders? If they tell you how you should do things do people still listen and learn? What is traditional to you?

Originally posted by hoov4450
    what is your idea of old school or traditional. I'm going to hold my thoughts about this one. after a while i say what my feelings are. but for now i want to know what all of you have been "taught"? what is expected of you? do young people in your area still listen to your elders? If they tell you how you should do things do people still listen and learn? What is traditional to you?
    i guess no one has any thoughts. this might get a little long so i apologizeto any elder that reads this, and this is my personal thoughts on the subject. this is not ment to instruct or teach ANYONE, only my personal thoughts. If your a native and you've been taught and instructed in the ways of your elders and you listen and follow their example then you are by definition "TRADITIONAL". And by following the "WAYS", you are keeping alive your native teachings and your heritage. I'll step away from the white issue and use asian. If a native married a korean when he served back in the korean war. If he was a career military man and live and traveled with his family overseas, and cause of this his family had no contact with other natives from his tribe, but his children were taught there ways. they would be traditional. heritage is not a skin color, it's not where you live, it's how you were raised and what you were taught. we are all to caught up with skin color, a persons skin does not determine a persons heritage. Here is a little story, I saw a black albino last year. I work with a black guy and i asked him if he knew who this kid was. he didn't but he was going to ask around about him. Just last week i say him at walmart again. This time i got to see him up close, sure enough he was black, but the poor kid was yellowe white, with a big yellow afro. I felt so sorry for this kid who looked around 18, I bet he got sh1t from both sides. would someone tell him he should not be with his people cause he doesn't look like em. and finally heritage is very important. what if a full blood married a nother full blood but from another tribe who's teachings are different. one spouse will lose there heritage cause one way will overrule the other. in the other case a full blood married a no blood but their kids taught their ways. would anyone choose the first over the second, and if so why would you choose to loose your heritage vs. skin color? skin color does not add up to heritage. teaching your ways and follwing your ways add up to heritage. Thanks for your time. I hope no one is offended.

Comment

You make some valid points Hoov4450, and this is a very good thread, something that should really make folks think a bit. I want to add that skin color while important to some and not so to others, is just one of the aspects of "living" as a native and being "traditional." While my definition of being traditional is: my grandmother throwing a deerhide in the ground along with a deer-brain to start the process of tanning, or my uncle boiling down deer toes to get them off the leg; some other person's definition is going to be going to a powwow every so often. Your going to get many different definitions from people from every walk of life.

Comment

Phrasing

Personally, I hate the terms "Old School" and "Back In The Day" as they are slang terms for the most recent one or two generations for anything 5-10 years old - or anything that was done before they knew what it was.

Now, we all use the term "Traditional" - and as you said Hoov it is all different. The word itself is extremely "Relative." and very, very "Subjective."

It all depends on the person and how they were raised and then how you and them percieve the use of the word "traditional."

Examle: An rather Old Elder sees a person who says he is a Traditional Dancer - As the Elder looks at the Dancer's Clothing he notices that although it is SPECTACULAR nothing fits before the year 1900 or for that matter even 1950. But then the Elder remembers that 1950 was 54 years ago and the Dancer is only 24 years old. It then becomes a matter of Perspective.

Comment

Good answer; Tom Iron Eagle!

Comment

something i see in our lumbee community that is very traditional to me is the notion of giving back

i've grown up and watched how selfless & generous my grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, etc.......are when it comes to helping their indian people--in a lot of ways, i think it's something that's inherent

they've always helped those less fortunate than them and just served as great role models for the younger generations coming up

sure, our people can be as shady as anyone, but lumbees, i think, are still very clan-"ish" and, when it comes down to it, will stick together against all odds

so, the ideas of 1"it takes a village" & 2community before individual are very traditional to me
            No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X