Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhoMe
    replied
    How AZZinine! A guy had an encounter with one tribe and now he makes a "blanket statement" about ALL Indians?

I once met a European and she really "smelled bad!" (true story) *LOL

Does this "blanket statement" mean all Europeans smell bad? DUH!!!!

____

Why should we get upset when a person makes an uneducated negative statement encompassing ALL Indian people?

When these kind of Azzinine statements are made about Indian culture (unless they can be addressed person to person) I don't dignify them by ignoring their stupidity.

___

Bottom line:

ALL nations and cultures of the world have good and bad people to work with.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    Originally posted by geronimo
    i agree with what everyone else has said.........

and i also want to add that indian folks can be hard to work with,(shoot, i'm indian and work with my people and believe me, it's not always easy, and that's an understatement)..it depends on the situation and the person........sure, a lot of us work together and can work with the "white politicians" as well........

but there are ignorant, bad attitude, no personality, bring you down indians out there too...............just as in any other group of folks--it's called being human (& not listening to your mamas, grandparents,teachers, not getting beat enough, bad genes, bad experiences....however you wanna label it)
    and, i hope those that say indians are hard to work with aren't using it as a blanketed statement and lumping us all together...b/c we're not all like that--i believe that's where the culture clash comes into play
    Ahh you touched on what I was coming back to say. Yeah sometimes it's just the persons' personality is all. Sometimes you work with someone shy and easily bothered or upset and sometimes you work with someone who's always smiling and easy going. It's a shame that when it comes to a minority that people overlook the fact that they are human and put race first. And once they do that you come up with statements like.. indians are hard to work with.
    Last edited by Blackbear; 07-11-2004, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• geronimo
    replied
    i agree with what everyone else has said.........

and i also want to add that indian folks can be hard to work with,(shoot, i'm indian and work with my people and believe me, it's not always easy, and that's an understatement)..it depends on the situation and the person........sure, a lot of us work together and can work with the "white politicians" as well........

but there are ignorant, bad attitude, no personality, bring you down indians out there too...............just as in any other group of folks--it's called being human (& not listening to your mamas, grandparents,teachers, not getting beat enough, bad genes, bad experiences....however you wanna label it)

and, i hope those that say indians are hard to work with aren't using it as a blanketed statement and lumping us all together...b/c we're not all like that--i believe that's where the culture clash comes into play

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    Originally posted by crazydazy
    I am none native and have worked with native people with out problem. Perhaps the reason why I haven't had a problem is because I don't treat people like they are walking living anthropology experiments. I would bet that this person spent too much time asking questions and to little time listening and talking about things that were not native specific. I think if I spect eveyday answering questions about my hair and my music and my dance and history that I would start to get a little pissed. Anyway that is just the opinion fropm an overly opinionated white woman
    I agree; you are correct crazydazy, and yes BB there is usually a culture-clash. My hubby has had all types of experiences working in the education field; amoung whites and non-whites. We've also experienced racism with certain people; but we get through it, and still are able to move up on the ladder of success. My husband made it a goal many years ago not to let the color of his skin hold him back.

Leave a comment:

• uniquek3
    replied
    Originally posted by crazydazy
    I am none native and have worked with native people with out problem. Perhaps the reason why I haven't had a problem is because I don't treat people like they are walking living anthropology experiments. I would bet that this person spent too much time asking questions and to little time listening and talking about things that were not native specific. I think if I spect eveyday answering questions about my hair and my music and my dance and history that I would start to get a little pissed. Anyway that is just the opinion fropm an overly opinionated white woman
    thanks for you opinion! yes, that could be very true.

Leave a comment:

• uniquek3
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackbear
    it's a culture clash .. did he say what kind of questions he was asking?
    no, that's basically all he said, for now

If any one would like to read it, go to johnkerry.com, click on online forum (it will be on the left side), then go to civil rights, there is a whole section for natives. I didn't really get the chance to read most of it, but it looks like it could be interesting, i just joined the other day. You might have to sign up to view that topic, but it's free anyways.

Leave a comment:

• crazydazy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    it's a culture clash .. did he say what kind of questions he was asking?

Leave a comment:

• uniquek3
    started a topic Are We Hard To Work With??

Are We Hard To Work With??

:Wave
    I was reading on another message board where a non native said that natives are hard to work with, that we don't make others feel welcome.He said every time he tried to talk to natives about issues he got bashed and blamed for being white, which made him feel awkward, so he doesn't even bother to do so any more, he also added that he thinks many politicians feel the same way. He didn't go into much detail, but the thing, is i've heard this quite a few times from other non natives.

what is YOUR opininon about this, why do you think they feel this way? Do you think this could be bad for us?

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X