No announcement yet.

Native American OR American Indian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't care if some non-ndn calls me ndn, i actually would prefer it to the alternatives. if they say injun i take offense. unless the non natives study us, or are around us often, they have no way of knowing what an anishinabe is...and other ndns of other tribes may take offense. native american sounds too pc and new age-ey, like others have said in this thread...i do think first nations is more proper, respectful although pc also. i agree anyone born here can say they are "native american" and be technically right. just call me ndn
    if i could change i would, take back the pain i would. retrace every wrong move that i made i would. stand up and take the blame i would. i would take all my shame to the grave
    KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!
    WHAT'S 5'8 200lbs and HARD ALL OVER?
    how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
    HONOR THY CHILDREN

Comment

I'm rarely called either because folks usually put us in the mixedblood bag. When they do, it's always, "oh yeah, you're Indian."
      Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

neither... :).. its navajo...

Comment

Sho you right Burbs. Hey, this reminds me of an interesting thing my son said the other day. We were watching the Olympics and he asks, "mom, are there any Indians competing in the olympics?" I told him I didn't know (still wondering about one girl on the US indoor volleyball team). He then comes back with, "well, if there are any Indians, they should have let them come in the opening ceremonies with their tribal flags so they can represent their tribe, which is their country, right?"

it's a little off the subject, but whatcha think about his question?
          Poetry is life in print.

Comment

hmmmm.... smart kid you got. i think that would be proper and right, although i'm sure it would stir "controversy" cause of all the jerks and crybabies.....
            if i could change i would, take back the pain i would. retrace every wrong move that i made i would. stand up and take the blame i would. i would take all my shame to the grave
            KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!
            WHAT'S 5'8 200lbs and HARD ALL OVER?
            how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
            HONOR THY CHILDREN

Comment

Hello All, I'm New Here and a Mixed Breed......

I have a question pertaining to this subject. When going to apply for housing, social services, employment most applications here in Boston list races., usually in the following order.

1.) Afro-American
              2.) Asian
              3.) Caucasian
              4.) Hispanic
              5.) Other(This is generally where I apply*)

I have been stating that I'm Afro~Native American.
              (Hopefully I will not offend anyone here, as I mean no disrespect to any one.

I like: First Nations, for more reasons than one! :clap: I would love to know from you, if that is considered too PC, what would you suggest I put on a application?

I could break down and confuse the status quo, just for fun.
              Ex: Black Cherokian Tuscaroran*, or Cherokian Tuscaroran Afro-American! Something like that. :Rainbow

Or just check other, and let them figure it out.

I am very proud of my heritage, it makes me who/what I am.
              So I'm asking as respectively as I can. If you were me, what would you put?

Love & Peace to All,

Summerwaters

Comment

Homalosa, from the: Mouth of Babes!

You have one bright/intelligent son! He should go quite far in life, and I hope all his dreams come true. I partially agree with him. I do believe they should be able to march in with their flags held high! Put their tribal name of their flags. Maybe while marching in with their respective countries, wear some small regalia that makes them stand out. What ever colors their team wears maybe wear matching beaded headbands or hats. Something small that could be incorporated within their teams colors or outfits. He has my vote!

Peace & Love,

Summerwaters :Wave :indian2:

Comment

Thank ya! He is a smart cookie and I have no shame in saying he gets it from my side of the family!
                  Poetry is life in print.

Comment

I think American "NDN" is just about fine, though I like the EN DIOS idea. I like to think I go IN GODS way or CON DIOS with GOD.
                    BOB

Comment

Um, well I like to call people of their own tribe. you know like, "I'm Dakota." Or "He's Navajo." but if we are to be generalized as a whole. I would rather people call "us" First Nation. something along that line. (First Nation People, First Nation Community, etc.)
                      Anpetu Waste Yuha!

Comment

I like EnDios (of God) the most. I'm really tired of the word Indios especially since we're not from the overpopulated country of India.

Soy EnDios de America. Somehow it needs improvement.
                        Last edited by quicksilverwade; 09-01-2004, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I dont much like the word Indian, but its so dang common. I dont mind Native North American Indian -as it includes Canada as well as the US

I love being called "First Nation People"

;)
                          "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Well.... if you're going to try and sound all professional... Native American or American Indian sounds better either way.

But if we're all just chillin i dont mind being called ndn or Indian or Native.
                            The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

I don't really like Native American. Like people have said, anyone born here is a Native American. I have also met foreign people who think that Native American is someone born in the US like someone else pointed out. I always said Indian but I am noticing that Native seems to be the term of choice among the academic Indians. Calling someone by their tribe is how I think Indians describe one another.

Speaking of tribes names...what do you all say when your tribe has two names, like my tribe is officially Delaware (from the colonists) but its Lenape in our language....or Navajo/Dine....etc???

Comment

Originally posted by keya_win20
                                Um, well I like to call people of their own tribe. you know like, "I'm Dakota." Or "He's Navajo." but if we are to be generalized as a whole. I would rather people call "us" First Nation. something along that line. (First Nation People, First Nation Community, etc.)
                                ___

KeyaWastedaka (Turtle Love):

Turtle Love? Does that mean lllllllllllow and sllllllllllow? *L j/k

I agree, in a perfect world, we would all be proud to be called by our particular tribe(s). But this is not possible. There are many Indian kids running around today with a mixture of eight tribes or more (dads, you know who you are *L). Thus, they do not fit the criteria of membership for affiliation in many tribes.

Say there is a kid that is Sioux (Dakota or Lakota), Navaho (Dine'), Iroquois (Haudenosaunee), Nez Perce' (Nimiipu), Delaware (Lenni Lenape), Creek (Muscogee), Ojibway (Anishinabe) and uh, let me see?,? and LUMBEE.

What would you called them besides "messed up," "Heinz 57," or "Mix-Skin?" (not Mex-can *L)
                                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X