Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StandsTallWoman
    replied
    I prefer to use the term "Native American" than "American Indian" to identify my half of my ancestors for two personal reasons. The first reason is: Christopher Colombus (I don't like him) called us "Indians" because he confused our ancestors with the Indians from India; we do not look darn well like the Indians from India.

The second reason is: there is so many types of Indians. These are the following: 1)Indian-Americans - American born Indians. 2) American Indians B.K.A. (better known as) Native American. 3) West Indians from West Indies. 4) East Indians from East Indies and finally 5) South Asian Indians from India.

Please feel free to comment on what I said. I am looking forward to some feedbacks.

~ Tiffany

Leave a comment:

• Wakalapi
    replied
    Actually, in most situations where we refer to another NDN some of us usually just use the term, "tribal member".

Leave a comment:

• Wakalapi
    replied
    Originally posted by middle of the sky
    I call myself and friends and family "indian" cuz my family's been called indian all their lives and we call each other that amongst ourselves...but i guess we should call ourselves "anishinabe" which is our nation. Non-natives can call us Anishinabe, native american, canadian native, (we're we wear runners and drink pop, not sneakers and sody pops), or first nations, or i hate this one, "aboriginals". if non-natives call me an indian i would take offense.
    But what if a native who simply doesn't "look" native called ya an NDN?
    Just check for tribal ID before ya clock'em.

Leave a comment:

• myrnie1209
    replied
    I dont like indian, Because people say Indian with a dot or feather, So I use native. But I like First Naitons the best.

Leave a comment:

• Thumper
    replied
    how about Native Turtle Islanders!?!?!?! considering america, was a miswritten name " AMERIGO Vespucci" which is apparently an italian name. i am not a native that belongs to Amerigo...:lol2:

Leave a comment:

• ndn_butterfly
    replied
    Well, for an all encompassing term, First Nations would do it for me. Native American never seemed right to me, I guess just because of the word American, and I'm "Canadian" eh. :p
    But when another FN person asks about my background/ethnicity/tribal belonging. I say that I'm Cree and Dene, but when a Non FN's person asks, I have to explain. If I have to say First Nations (he'll be clueless), then I have to resort to a term that I don't really care for (unless, like super said, when I'm just chillin:D) *Indian*

ALSO
    Call me anything but Canadian.
    Just kidding. They are our friends, even if they do talk funny. "Aw geez. The beer store's closed, eh? What's that all aboot?"
    Quit teasing!, That's more like east coast style, not west or central :rofl2: But Hey, I can take the heat :D

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by keya_win20
    Um, well I like to call people of their own tribe. you know like, "I'm Dakota." Or "He's Navajo." but if we are to be generalized as a whole. I would rather people call "us" First Nation. something along that line. (First Nation People, First Nation Community, etc.)
    ___

KeyaWastedaka (Turtle Love):

Turtle Love? Does that mean lllllllllllow and sllllllllllow? *L j/k

I agree, in a perfect world, we would all be proud to be called by our particular tribe(s). But this is not possible. There are many Indian kids running around today with a mixture of eight tribes or more (dads, you know who you are *L). Thus, they do not fit the criteria of membership for affiliation in many tribes.

Say there is a kid that is Sioux (Dakota or Lakota), Navaho (Dine'), Iroquois (Haudenosaunee), Nez Perce' (Nimiipu), Delaware (Lenni Lenape), Creek (Muscogee), Ojibway (Anishinabe) and uh, let me see?,? and LUMBEE.

What would you called them besides "messed up," "Heinz 57," or "Mix-Skin?" (not Mex-can *L)

Leave a comment:

• eap7
    replied
    I don't really like Native American. Like people have said, anyone born here is a Native American. I have also met foreign people who think that Native American is someone born in the US like someone else pointed out. I always said Indian but I am noticing that Native seems to be the term of choice among the academic Indians. Calling someone by their tribe is how I think Indians describe one another.

Speaking of tribes names...what do you all say when your tribe has two names, like my tribe is officially Delaware (from the colonists) but its Lenape in our language....or Navajo/Dine....etc???

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    replied
    Well.... if you're going to try and sound all professional... Native American or American Indian sounds better either way.

But if we're all just chillin i dont mind being called ndn or Indian or Native.

Leave a comment:

• ojibwaysweetie
    replied
    I dont much like the word Indian, but its so dang common. I dont mind Native North American Indian -as it includes Canada as well as the US

I love being called "First Nation People"

;)

Leave a comment:

• quicksilverwade
    replied
    I like EnDios (of God) the most. I'm really tired of the word Indios especially since we're not from the overpopulated country of India.

Soy EnDios de America. Somehow it needs improvement.
    Last edited by quicksilverwade; 09-01-2004, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• keya_win20
    replied
    Um, well I like to call people of their own tribe. you know like, "I'm Dakota." Or "He's Navajo." but if we are to be generalized as a whole. I would rather people call "us" First Nation. something along that line. (First Nation People, First Nation Community, etc.)

Leave a comment:

• CHEROSAGE
    replied
    I think American "NDN" is just about fine, though I like the EN DIOS idea. I like to think I go IN GODS way or CON DIOS with GOD.

Leave a comment:

• Homalosa
    replied
    Thank ya! He is a smart cookie and I have no shame in saying he gets it from my side of the family!

Leave a comment:

• Summerwaters
    replied
    Homalosa, from the: Mouth of Babes!

You have one bright/intelligent son! He should go quite far in life, and I hope all his dreams come true. I partially agree with him. I do believe they should be able to march in with their flags held high! Put their tribal name of their flags. Maybe while marching in with their respective countries, wear some small regalia that makes them stand out. What ever colors their team wears maybe wear matching beaded headbands or hats. Something small that could be incorporated within their teams colors or outfits. He has my vote!

Peace & Love,

Summerwaters :Wave :indian2:

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X