No announcement yet.

Native American OR American Indian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for an all encompassing term, First Nations would do it for me. Native American never seemed right to me, I guess just because of the word American, and I'm "Canadian" eh. :p
    But when another FN person asks about my background/ethnicity/tribal belonging. I say that I'm Cree and Dene, but when a Non FN's person asks, I have to explain. If I have to say First Nations (he'll be clueless), then I have to resort to a term that I don't really care for (unless, like super said, when I'm just chillin:D) *Indian*

ALSO
    Call me anything but Canadian.
    Just kidding. They are our friends, even if they do talk funny. "Aw geez. The beer store's closed, eh? What's that all aboot?"
    Quit teasing!, That's more like east coast style, not west or central :rofl2: But Hey, I can take the heat :D
    (¯`·._)Ït §M꣣$ £¡kë ®åíñßÕw§ (¯`·._)

Comment

how about Native Turtle Islanders!?!?!?! considering america, was a miswritten name " AMERIGO Vespucci" which is apparently an italian name. i am not a native that belongs to Amerigo...:lol2:
      if i could change i would, take back the pain i would. retrace every wrong move that i made i would. stand up and take the blame i would. i would take all my shame to the grave
      KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!
      WHAT'S 5'8 200lbs and HARD ALL OVER?
      how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
      HONOR THY CHILDREN

Comment

I dont like indian, Because people say Indian with a dot or feather, So I use native. But I like First Naitons the best.

Comment

Originally posted by middle of the sky
          I call myself and friends and family "indian" cuz my family's been called indian all their lives and we call each other that amongst ourselves...but i guess we should call ourselves "anishinabe" which is our nation. Non-natives can call us Anishinabe, native american, canadian native, (we're we wear runners and drink pop, not sneakers and sody pops), or first nations, or i hate this one, "aboriginals". if non-natives call me an indian i would take offense.
          But what if a native who simply doesn't "look" native called ya an NDN?
          Just check for tribal ID before ya clock'em.
          "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
          Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Actually, in most situations where we refer to another NDN some of us usually just use the term, "tribal member".
            "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
            Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

I prefer to use the term "Native American" than "American Indian" to identify my half of my ancestors for two personal reasons. The first reason is: Christopher Colombus (I don't like him) called us "Indians" because he confused our ancestors with the Indians from India; we do not look darn well like the Indians from India.

The second reason is: there is so many types of Indians. These are the following: 1)Indian-Americans - American born Indians. 2) American Indians B.K.A. (better known as) Native American. 3) West Indians from West Indies. 4) East Indians from East Indies and finally 5) South Asian Indians from India.

Please feel free to comment on what I said. I am looking forward to some feedbacks.

~ Tiffany
              ~ Tiffany ~

Comment

I prefer Native American.

Comment

Wow, this thread is sure a blast from the past! Gaw, my post sounds cheesy!

And I had another good laugh at WhoMe's...Turtle Love...lllllow and sllllow....goot one!!
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

I wonder, though, about the fact that "Native American" can be used on anyone born here....Wasn't this land named America by Americus Vespuci? So it was "American" before the United States OF America was ever created...So, we ARE Native Americans...I think....brains a'sizzlin"

When I correct people, I don't use either term, I'm Oglala Lakota...from the Brotherhood community. I wonder (again) if maybe American Native might be more appropriate....certainly NOT Indian, though, as it perpetuates a stupid mistake, an idiotic misnomer....why allow the US to continue Columbus' idiocy?? LOL
                    Ipsica Waci
                    Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Actuallly Native American is anyone who lives in the Americas so technically Canadians, Venezuelans, Mexicans would be considered Native American. American indian is also incorrect because well no ndn I know actually came from India. They are both wrong. Maybe we should adopt what other coutries call us. In Fiji they call us Red Indians and in some Asian coutries the call us the original people but I think the best one is the simple way my dad describes us. We are The People.

Comment

Yeah but it's also a myth that Christopher columbus called us indians because he thought he was in India.. it comes from In Dios or something like that which really is a flattering term, for what it means.. something about in god's eye or godlike or whatever... native american is anyone born here, people from India were never called Indians ever from what I remember reading, and prefer hindus I think. Indigenous people of the north Americas is the politically correct term at it's finest and takes forever to say as well as Aboriginal Americans. First Nations is great, but it doe'snt bother me to be called an indian... people know who you are talking about when you say it becuase it's been around forever.
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i have two questions:

why do you hate the word aborigional; after all it has the word origional in it. that is what we are the origional. i myself like the term.

also, where is that aviater from, is it a movie it is so familiar to me.
                          Originally posted by middle of the sky
                          I call myself and friends and family "indian" cuz my family's been called indian all their lives and we call each other that amongst ourselves...but i guess we should call ourselves "anishinabe" which is our nation. Non-natives can call us Anishinabe, native american, canadian native, (we're we wear runners and drink pop, not sneakers and sody pops), or first nations, or i hate this one, "aboriginals". if non-natives call me an indian i would take offense.
                          A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

out of the mouth of babes right?
                            Originally posted by Homalosa
                            Sho you right Burbs. Hey, this reminds me of an interesting thing my son said the other day. We were watching the Olympics and he asks, "mom, are there any Indians competing in the olympics?" I told him I didn't know (still wondering about one girl on the US indoor volleyball team). He then comes back with, "well, if there are any Indians, they should have let them come in the opening ceremonies with their tribal flags so they can represent their tribe, which is their country, right?"

it's a little off the subject, but whatcha think about his question?

Comment

WHOME is always making us think!

anyway any of those terms works for me really, although when i am asked if i am indian which does happen once in awhile and i am feeling frisky i say no, i am a shinob.

Comment

I like the term aboriginal! We are the original! The one and the only! Don't let them forget it!
                                Don't take life so serious no one gets out alive!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X