Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summerwaters
    replied
    Hello All, I'm New Here and a Mixed Breed......

I have a question pertaining to this subject. When going to apply for housing, social services, employment most applications here in Boston list races., usually in the following order.

1.) Afro-American
    2.) Asian
    3.) Caucasian
    4.) Hispanic
    5.) Other(This is generally where I apply*)

I have been stating that I'm Afro~Native American.
    (Hopefully I will not offend anyone here, as I mean no disrespect to any one.

I like: First Nations, for more reasons than one! :clap: I would love to know from you, if that is considered too PC, what would you suggest I put on a application?

I could break down and confuse the status quo, just for fun.
    Ex: Black Cherokian Tuscaroran*, or Cherokian Tuscaroran Afro-American! Something like that. :Rainbow

Or just check other, and let them figure it out.

I am very proud of my heritage, it makes me who/what I am.
    So I'm asking as respectively as I can. If you were me, what would you put?

Love & Peace to All,

Summerwaters

Leave a comment:

• Thumper
    replied
    hmmmm.... smart kid you got. i think that would be proper and right, although i'm sure it would stir "controversy" cause of all the jerks and crybabies.....

Leave a comment:

• Homalosa
    replied
    Sho you right Burbs. Hey, this reminds me of an interesting thing my son said the other day. We were watching the Olympics and he asks, "mom, are there any Indians competing in the olympics?" I told him I didn't know (still wondering about one girl on the US indoor volleyball team). He then comes back with, "well, if there are any Indians, they should have let them come in the opening ceremonies with their tribal flags so they can represent their tribe, which is their country, right?"

it's a little off the subject, but whatcha think about his question?

Leave a comment:

• BurBz
    replied
    neither... :).. its navajo...

Leave a comment:

• Homalosa
    replied
    I'm rarely called either because folks usually put us in the mixedblood bag. When they do, it's always, "oh yeah, you're Indian."

Leave a comment:

• Thumper
    replied
    i don't care if some non-ndn calls me ndn, i actually would prefer it to the alternatives. if they say injun i take offense. unless the non natives study us, or are around us often, they have no way of knowing what an anishinabe is...and other ndns of other tribes may take offense. native american sounds too pc and new age-ey, like others have said in this thread...i do think first nations is more proper, respectful although pc also. i agree anyone born here can say they are "native american" and be technically right. just call me ndn

Leave a comment:

• wyo_rose
    replied
    I always just say I'm Shoshone. Or I ask if someone else is Indin or Native. And I heard Indian came from Columbus calling the native people he encounter in Dios, meaning with God. But he WAS looking for the Indies, East or West I forget.

Leave a comment:

• Plenty Fox
    replied
    personal ads

I put a personal ad in yahoo! once. Said I wanted a Native American guy. This one guy responded. He stated he was Native so I didn't question him until we met and he explained. He'd been born here, raised here and considered himself native American. His family were German. I don't know that American Indian is any better because it has to do with the confusion of the explorers thinking they were finding a shortcut to India (as I recall). Anyway, if I want to be smart I say "I'm an Indigenous American"; otherwise I say Native American....

Leave a comment:

• Running River
    replied
    I am just me. you can call me anything you like, but I am still going to be just me!

Leave a comment:

• middle of the sky
    replied
    just don't call me late for supper cuz ya know i like that back bacon enit, eh.

Leave a comment:

• middle of the sky
    replied
    I call myself and friends and family "indian" cuz my family's been called indian all their lives and we call each other that amongst ourselves...but i guess we should call ourselves "anishinabe" which is our nation. Non-natives can call us Anishinabe, native american, canadian native, (we're we wear runners and drink pop, not sneakers and sody pops), or first nations, or i hate this one, "aboriginals". if non-natives call me an indian i would take offense.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    I got this one in email and thought that it was fantastic that the teacher would ask. It does show some sensitivity and respect and the guy's answer was a good one. Kinda warmed my heart reading this.

Leave a comment:

• DANCINGEAGLE
    replied
    Call me anything but late for dinner. I'm a hungry man.

Leave a comment:

• Badmutha
    replied
    Call me anything but Canadian. :american: :lol2:
    Just kidding. They are our friends, even if they do talk funny. "Aw geez. The beer store's closed, eh? What's that all aboot?"

Leave a comment:

• CandaePrincess
    replied
    I just call myself NATIVE. dammit....

:)

I dont like native american either....like they say, anyone can use that term.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X