Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point Blackbear....

Originally posted by Blackbear
    well when it seems we do a lot of white lumping, I'd say that greedy, insensitive, warring, thieves, devils and like words are stereotypes for whites. You know.. I know that the point made by K'smom is one that rings partly in truth, that the reason for these names was because they were FIERCE sounding names. Why not more teams named after animals then? And... well... dolphins does'nt quite sound like a vicious team nor does redsocks, whitesocks, cardinals, lakers.... you see what I'm getting at? I really liked the names of the XFL"s teams when they were around... too bad it did'nt make it LOL... but anyhow..... With the array of names the English language provides there certainly does'nt have to be these "honor" names does there? And just as CITH said, it should be a simple thing to just get rid of them. With as much a stir as this has been for how long, I still don't understand why it is argued over.
    Now I sure do enjoy a good conversation, or at best a dam good argument.....Before I go any further I will say I have definietely been guilty of putting the proverbial chit on "White Folks" and looking at it from our standpoint we should know better being on the receiving end. It's easy to get frazzled and snap at a wasicu....Many of us take that liberty and it should be understood why. Although i'm not as fast to judge of late. To me though what is so fierce about "Redskins"? Maybe just me, but that's a contradiction.....Why? Well just checkout RFK stadium in Dec, you tell me whose skin is red? So just maybe we can look at this delusional fantasy (I like those words...) as just that....a delusional fantasy.....Creativity gives us the ability to explore alot of possibilities, but why do we limit ourselves and fall short of respecting one another? If it was 1940 something well just maybe I can see, but it's 2004 and folks still don't have a clue? It's not Quantum Physics....It's real simple
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

All I know is that a native can't drive in the city of Rapid City without getting those looks of death from the white folk.

Comment

I See your Point.....

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House
        Now I sure do enjoy a good conversation, or at best a dam good argument.....Before I go any further I will say I have definietely been guilty of putting the proverbial chit on "White Folks" and looking at it from our standpoint we should know better being on the receiving end. It's easy to get frazzled and snap at a wasicu....Many of us take that liberty and it should be understood why. Although i'm not as fast to judge of late. To me though what is so fierce about "Redskins"? Maybe just me, but that's a contradiction.....Why? Well just checkout RFK stadium in Dec, you tell me whose skin is red? So just maybe we can look at this delusional fantasy (I like those words...) as just that....a delusional fantasy.....Creativity gives us the ability to explore alot of possibilities, but why do we limit ourselves and fall short of respecting one another? If it was 1940 something well just maybe I can see, but it's 2004 and folks still don't have a clue? It's not Quantum Physics....It's real simple
        O.K. I see what you are driving at. But let me reach way into your beautiful words and paraphrase......

We (NDNS) should make the them (NON-NDNS) remove all reference to us, because they don't know how to properly represent us. And because they can not represent us properly then that is disrespectful.

Did I get that right?

Comment

62.6% of statistics are made up on the spot! ;)
          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Yes I think the name is very offensive especially with the history of the DC area. The area of "Indian Head" (a DC suburb) was named when Native peoples heads would be cut off and put up on posts around the area to show NDN people what would happen if they went around that area. Now they are supposedly honoring us????

Comment

Real Skins Don't Give A F*#$

IT BOTHERS ME! BUT I BELIEVE WE AS NATIVES GOT MORE IMPORTANT STUFF TO PUT OUR TIME INTO. LIKE OUR FAMILIES, WHERE THE NEXT POW-WOW IS, AND WHO'S DOING THE BEADWORK ON MY LIL'GIRLS MOCCASINS?

I support bro's & sis's that protest against fools that disrespect our way of life, but I'm not gonna lose sleep or type any more about it, my Cho-KA (grandpa) once said "white people are crazy"
              Last edited by SANDMAN; 10-05-2004, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SANDMAN
                IT BOTHERS ME! BUT I BELIEVE WE AS NATIVES GOT MORE IMPORTANT STUFF TO PUT OUR TIME INTO. LIKE OUR FAMILIES, WHERE THE NEXT POW-WOW IS, AND WHO'S DOING THE BEADWORK ON MY LIL'GIRLS MOCCASINS?

I support bro's & sis's that protest against fools that disrespect our way of life, but I'm not gonna lose sleep or type any more about it, my Cho-KA (grandpa) once said "white people are crazy"
                I know what you mean. Try juggling everybody's schedule to make sure that the powwow weekend is kept free. But, also there can be some free time to protest while at work. Which is what I'm doing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
                  Like this one. *L* Crazy

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
                    Sounds like political advertising statistics!

Comment

Give it some thought....Maybe it won't hurt...

By far there is indeed a grander picture here...it's not the small little point of some jack azz waving a hatchet or some other issue.....who the hell puts things in small compartments and conviently pulls them out when need be...? Don't you see how that rational or theory applies to just about every goddam thing we encounter when dealing with mindset of this White Creature....Does it sink in? So while we have "Joe Indian" here and "Joe Hero" there....... pull your head out of your azz for a minute or two....Yes your comical....But do you actually have a clue as far as what i'm saying, or did I lose you at By far??? So when we look at the bigger picture is it clear now to see why certain issues simply fall into the larger mix? So.......The more important stuff falls right in line with this stuff.......Or any other stuff for that matter....
                      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

By far there is indeed a grander picture here...it's not the small little point of some jack azz waving a hatchet or some other issue.....who the hell puts things in small compartments and conviently pulls them out when need be...? Don't you see how that rational or theory applies to just about every goddam thing we encounter when dealing with mindset of this White Creature....Does it sink in? So while we have "Joe Indian" here and "Joe Hero" there....... pull your head out of your azz for a minute or two....Yes your comical....But do you actually have a clue as far as what i'm saying, or did I lose you at By far??? So when we look at the bigger picture is it clear now to see why certain issues simply fall into the larger mix? So.......The more important stuff falls right in line with this stuff.......Or any other stuff for that matter....
                        Who are you talking to? Us NDN with our "heads up our azz" who don't react to every little thorn in our paws? Or the the white "jack azz waving the hatchet" who is so insensitive that no matter what they will never get it?

Wise one, why don't you just lay out "the plan" for all they rest of us with our "heads up our azz." Cause I have not heard any solutions or course of action!

PS: Still not offended.

Comment

Duck and Dive......

Originally posted by kiyaanii mom
                          Who are you talking to? Us NDN with our "heads up our azz" who don't react to every little thorn in our paws? Or the the white "jack azz waving the hatchet" who is so insensitive that no matter what they will never get it?

Wise one, why don't you just lay out "the plan" for all they rest of us with our "heads up our azz." Cause I have not heard any solutions or course of action!

PS: Still not offended.
                          I thought you were a Convert? LOL

I didn't quote you so that was not intended for you....I should have been clearer though.....Didn't mean to Raz you , but at least your paying attention...My point is simple....Issues, Concerns, Political pissing matches, whatever....Is part of the larger picture...I can't see how people can play off the "mascot situation" as a trivial meaningless thing...Racism is racism no matter how you look at it....How folks can pound their chests and shout from the highest mountain top of how Indian they are and it doesn't bother them is where I directed my BS....

If I come across to you as Wise, believe me i'm limited in that capacity.....LOL....

*This P.S.A. is brought to you by a Coyot, please don't take what I say personally*

Comment

I thought you were a Convert? LOL

I didn't quote you so that was not intended for you....I should have been clearer though.....Didn't mean to Raz you , but at least your paying attention...My point is simple....Issues, Concerns, Political pissing matches, whatever....Is part of the larger picture...I can't see how people can play off the "mascot situation" as a trivial meaningless thing...Racism is racism no matter how you look at it....How folks can pound their chests and shout from the highest mountain top of how Indian they are and it doesn't bother them is where I directed my BS....

If I come across to you as Wise, believe me i'm limited in that capacity.....LOL....

*This P.S.A. is brought to you by a Coyot, please don't take what I say personally*
                            O.K. Now I get your message. Thanks for the plain english. I sometimes waiver on the fence of offended or not. But today I'm in an "Anti-Bush" mood, ready to battle the dragon.

Comment

YAHOO... Battling BUSH!

CITH-- we've had our disageements before but I agree with you on this. Yeah it's not as important as say water and health care and soveriegnty rights or misappropriated funds, but the mascots do promote the stereotypes, and the average non native joe blow does'nt know the difference. Hey at the very least, protesting the names of teams at least is educating some folks as to WHY we find these things offensive.
                              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                                Not sure I like the idea of trading one stereotype for another.
                                Good call Blackbear!

The answer to fixing the problem is not who can call who what names. I'm going to admit it...I'm white! My boyfriend is NDN and we're both very proud of his culture. I'm not a groupie or fake or anything else. I was accepted into his family and they have taught me so much I could never repay them. I usually don't say very much regarding the race card, but this time I am. A person is not identified by their skin. A person should be judged individually. A person is either good or bad, but everyone is not the same.

I don't agree with a team being called the Redskins, but it's there and it's not going to change. People say words all the time that they do not realize people might take offense to.

"You're so gay"
                                "You're so retarded"
                                "Guido"
                                "Guinea"
                                "Paddy"

The list goes on and on. I understand where what you're saying comes from, but you should retaliate by teaching a child more about your culture not calling other people names :)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.