• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell Means top vote-getter in Pine Ridge primary

Indianz.Com. In Print.
    URL: http://www.indianz.com/News/2004/004649.asp

Russell Means top vote-getter in Pine Ridge primary
    Thursday, October 7, 2004

American Indian Movement activist Russell Means was the top vote-getter in the primary for president of the Oglala Sioux Tribe of South Dakota.

Means took 917 votes, more than twice received by incumbent President John Yellow Bird Steele, who came in fourth and will not be on the final ballot.

That leaves Means to face Cecilia Fire Thunder, who won 607 votes. The election is November 2.

Get the Story:
    Means wins tribe primary election (The Rapid City Journal 10/7)

Related Stories:
    Means says South Dakota GOP needs to do more (8/9)

Copyright © 2000-2004 Indianz.Com
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Wow, that's something. Well, I guess let the people speak. I know during the last election there was some discrepancies even though Russell had won something like twice.....I guess they just kept voting until he didn't get enough. He seems very intelligent.....but I guess you have to wait and see what kind of a leader he will be.
    It does not require many words to speak the truth.
    Chief Joseph

Comment

elections

i personally know both candidates and with out hesitation

cecelia firethunder would get my vote!

Comment

Wow Cecilia FireThunder. I met her a while back, was she ever a nice nice lady. She's such a dynamic speaker too.

Comment

Not that I can vote in Pine Ridge, but Cecilia Fire Thunder would most definitely get my vote. She is a very nice woman.

Comment

I have known Russ all my life and even looked up to him in the early days of the American Indian Movement (AIM).

But, I don't agree with two of his recent actions as a "Indian Activist and Actor."

First: his comment that, "the Pocahontas movie is the best movie about American Indians ever made."

Second: concerns his brutal assault on his former father inlaw. His father inlaw is a Navaho Elder. Then Russ challenged ALL INDIAN SOVEREIGNTY by challenging the Navaho court system, by insisting he cannot be convicted of this crime on their reservation because he was not a member of the Navaho tribe.

__

Good luck Oglala Nation on whoever you choose to be your future leader. Vote wisely!
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              I have known Russ all my life and even looked up to him in the early days of the American Indian Movement (AIM).

But, I don't agree with two of his recent actions as a "Indian Activist and Actor."

First: his comment that, "the Pocahontas movie is the best movie about American Indians ever made."

Second: concerns his brutal assault on his former father inlaw. His father inlaw is a Navaho Elder. Then Russ challenged ALL INDIAN SOVEREIGNTY by challenging the Navaho court system, by insisting he cannot be convicted of this crime on their reservation because he was not a member of the Navaho tribe.

__

Good luck Oglala Nation on whoever you choose to be your future leader. Vote wisely!

:clapping:
              "would u like to lick the frybread greaze off of my lippz??"

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic

Comment

Myself, I lost all resepect for this man after seeing him strut his wares at the the Mohegan Wigwam Festival this past August. I thought, sure it was exciting that he was there and my family listened to tidbits of what he was saying while we were eating in the back (they had a speaker by the the food tent), and damn if that man didn't shame his own people. I didn't know if it was just me at the time, but a few minutes later I found it wasn't my ears deceiving me, but that man was calling down all people who wore Eagle feathers, then (what I seen b4 I walked away to eat) proceeded to drop one on the ground then pick it right up (because he says he is a veteran and can do this without penalty). He continued to comment on the pow wow dancers and how they've changed so much from the original style it isn't recognizable anymore (BS). Some very well known and respected PW elders sitting near us were just about to have hissy fits and the elder woman wanted to go and knock him out. All the man accomplished that weekend (he did 2- 1hr shows) was solidify and build on what the white people's perceptions of NDN people were. No I'm not from that rez, thank goodness. I hope the woman gets in, as so many people have nice things to say to her. I mean California is learning the hard way that Schwartznegger really is full of himself, I hope the same does not happen to them. I think all the publicity and grandeur of being famous and using that to get his way has majorly affected the way this man think and acts. Did I mention the Mohegans paid him $7000 for his whole 2 hrs of time. Yeah I'm disappointed.

Comment

What he said was, "Indians shouldn't wear eagle feathers on their ***." Then he put one on right after that and danced around.

Comment

who won???
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X