• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribal leaders demand apology from Schwarzenegger

Indianz.Com - Your Gaming Resource
    URL: /IndianGaming/2004/004869.asp

October 20, 2004
    Tribal leaders demand apology from Schwarzenegger
    Tribal leaders in California are calling on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) to apologize for claiming that Indians are "ripping us off" when it comes to gaming.

The California Nations Indian Gaming Association issued as statement saying that Schwarzenegger's remarks were "inflammatory." "California tribes are keenly aware of the injustice of being ripped off and it is not something that we would wish on any people, state or nation," the statement read.

Anthony Pico, chairman of Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians, said he was "deeply hurt" by the remarks. "We made the governor look pretty damn good in my opinion, finding a way to come up with $1 billion up front ... like basically he came into the Indian camp and got what he needed for the state and walked out," he told Copley News Service.

"Here’s a guy from Austria who comes to America saying, ‘those Indians are stealing from us,’ " Agua Caliente Chairman Richard Milanovich said in an interview with The Palm Springs Desert Sun. "It’s no different than saying, ‘those darn Mexicans are stealing from us.’ If that isn’t a racist attitude, I don’t know what is."

The state NAACP also said the remarks were insensitive. "Right away, you think of all the old stereotypes of Indians and white men," Alice Huffman, the state NAACP president, told The Sacramento Bee. "It sounds like cowboys-and-Indians stuff."

Schwarzenegger will not apologize, a spokesperson said, accusing the tribes of "a pathetic use of the race card and they should be ashamed of themselves."

Get the Story:
    Local tribe levels racism charges against governor (The Palm Springs Desert Sun 10/20)
    Governor's remark draws ire (The Sacramento Bee 10/20)
    Tribes want governor's apology (The Riverside Press-Enterprise 10/20)
    Username: [email protected], Password: indianz
    Tribes bristle at Schwarzenegger's campaign rhetoric (Copley News Service 10/19)
    Everything is gonna be alright!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo

Send Arnold to Iraq and bring back our native soldiers.

Comment

told ya he was an idiot...

Comment

We should be ashamed of ourselves??? He should be one to talk, what a bone head...
        At least we can pronounce California!!! Hes Just a man living off his wifes family name;he has no credibility.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Our pathetic use of a race card???????????????????????????????? DANG YOu CALI indians better be ready to vote him OUT next voting term!!! That comment deserves a good jaw jacking!
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Good grief! Who voted him IN?
            If you cannot find what you seek within, you will not find it without.

Comment

everyone who did'nt want to see Gary Coleman win????? :)
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

LMAO BB... All i can say about that voting event was that it was big JOKE. what's Hollywood So worried bout?? they that worried that they have to get Movie stars to run for office? And even worse actors that are Not even originally from the U.S? Damn puppets on strings.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

:JawDrop :NoNo That was terrible!!!! What an ignorant jerk.
                  It does not require many words to speak the truth.
                  Chief Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by nativemom
                    :JawDrop :NoNo That was terrible!!!! What an ignorant jerk.
                    :NoNo
                    What ignorance is right ... :JawDrop
                    Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
                    A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
                    A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
                    Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

Just like how adolf hitler started off with the jews in the 1920s and early 30s. Arnold is using his nazi heritage to pick on a scapegoat and indians are now it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gache
                        Just like how adolf hitler started off with the jews in the 1920s and early 30s. Arnold is using his nazi heritage to pick on a scapegoat and indians are now it.
                        Good point Gache :Thumbs

Where you been??? Glad to see you posting again. :)

Comment

I did another journey to a far away land

Comment

Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno
                            Send Arnold to Iraq and bring back our native soldiers.

good suggestion!!!! :)
                            No one can make you feel inferior w/o your consent-Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I live in Cali an there's always commercials w/ him saying all kinds of things similar to this. "its time for them to pay like everyone else " ect.....it really hurts and pisses me off every time. Any other minority group treated like this and it would be all over the news. Its really sad, and just fuels so many narrow minded ppl's stereotypes of NDNs. :(

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X