White People at Pow Wows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White People at Pow Wows

Because of some of the responses to my little disagreement with some people on this board, and Mato's idea to stick to the subject, I decided to start a new thread.
    I would like to hear from others on their feelings about white people attending Pow Wows. I don't mean "wannabes" because I am not a "wannabe", I go to Pow Wows to relax and enjoy the celebration, to listen to the music and see the interaction amoung the people, I adhere to all the rules and regulations, and I have also helped out at Pow Wows as security, setting up and then taking down at the end. I have seen the "wannabes" at Pow Wows and it bugs me as well as some of you on this board, I think it is a real dishonour to the native culture.

just a friendly reminder..again...there is not ONE native culture. There are many, diverse native cultureS. I think that bugs alot of native ppl who know alot about their specific tribal history to be lumped into one group. :) not trying to attack, just help you learn

Comment

:Eyepopper ohhhhhh some of the restless natives are gonna have a field day with this one girl!
      I'll save my own opinionated opinion to my own own self...let's just say I've had to grit my teeth one to many times while watching some hookie "non-sav" jumping around, thrashing their arms wildly, doing the pocahontas lulu while having a grand ole time (I know that stretching what u be talkin bout)
      but I'll throw a lil humor in for good measure...couple yrs ago this one gal (not knowing a dang thing about anything native...as white as one could get) wanted to go to a powwow w/ us. I did NOT want to do it but it was a military fren of a fren. She went, she saw, she B*tched!..the whole weekend!!!:33: OMG I was soooo sick of her!!! So half way thru we told her, "some of these guys are real tradish, they'll just throw you over their shoulder and we'll never see you again"....just lots of over the top stuff like that!!!! If you catch a dancer lookin at you...your done fer!...watch that blonde hair of yours!!!" etc...

Comment

Ok how bout making your question just a tad bit clearer.... you mean white people attending powwows as guests and spectators or there to dance and participate in all ways? I'm asking this because this is the 5th thread I've seen in 3 years with the same title and you need to be very clear and specific on what you are wanting to know cause this is a hot topic.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I personally dont have a problem with white people attending pow wows. As long as they are respectful of the grounds well that goes for everyone. Well if ya look at from my point of view some people rag on the white peope cuz they alwasy ask silly questions and even sometimes pay to take a picture with you. Thats kinda cool to me, cuz they are interested in the native cultures. But on the other hand the non-natives who WANT TO BE native is really pathedic. Afterall pow wows they are open to everyone...plus during intertribals usually the MC invites everyone to come out.
          (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

I for one, really like white folks to pay their greenbacks to come in. I wish more would come. They pay for the prize money. If more came, we'd get bigger prize money. Ayyyyeee, J/K.

Comment

I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl. Maybe they can dance in regalia if they're adopted or married into the culture i suppose.
              Reminds me of the time me and sister were at the Fort Langley, BC pow-wow a couple of years ago. I was at the tent and she went to the can by the gates. She came back and said when she came out a white couple had drove up and aksed what was going on. She said, "its a pow-wow". They asked "what's that?" she said "its singin and dancing" they asked "who's playing?" then she had to explain a little about drums and native dancers to them. They paid their entrance fee. Near the end of the night me and my sisiter were sitting on the top bleachers and it was near the end of the night eh and she says "look. there's that couple i was talking to at the gate." i though it was kewl that some non-natives who didnt know anything about pow-wows came in and enjoyed themselves all day and night.
              as for the other point you've made pw guest. i like to watch other cultures dance like japanese, chinese, east indian and whatever but it doesn't mean im going to get dressed up in their regalia.
              i always think that the white brother has lost their way, and other cultures, ive said it in other posts. look at the way other cultures treat their women then you'll know why i think well generally native cultures are the best. And any smart thinking non-natives see that and want to join it...can you blame them? but it doesnt mean they can be making money being psuedo shamans..

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                I for one, really like white folks to pay their greenbacks to come in. I wish more would come. They pay for the prize money. If more came, we'd get bigger prize money. Ayyyyeee, J/K.
                Sheesh Ki - :D

Comment

Exactly what I was talking about, I do not dress in Traditional clothing except my own, I do not dance even intertribal (because I think I would suck at it). I know there are different customs amoung the many Nations, and by going to different ones in B.C. and Washington I am learning different traditions. To those who have not read my form I made out when I joined I am a Male.

Middle of the Sky
                  I have been to the Fort Langley Pow Wow twice and it was good both times. When I did work security it was at the Cloverdale Rodeo Pow Wow 2 years ago. If you were there do you remember a silly older white woman dressed in furs, with a young guy helping her out, well she claims to be a reincanation of some Native person and was trying to flog religious material onto people, when I heard that I removed her from the building. Like I said, I as well as most of you get real upset with people being disrespectfull of the Native culture.

griggsmichael,
                  I will answer you on here, read my posts I am a white male, I have family that have been and still married to native people and have neices and nephews with native blood and have had friends that are native and my partner I live with now has Native blood.
                  Last edited by pow wow guest; 10-24-2004, 09:49 PM.

Comment

pow-wow guest, yes ive seen that woman around...i believe she has mental health issues.

Comment

Eh, What??????

[QUOTE=middle of the sky][COLOR=Teal]I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl.

Hi Middle, inter-tribals or Owl???? wasn't that a different thread? J/K...
                      hope this typo wasn't an omen!
                      C

Comment

Originally posted by this1ndnchic
                        I personally dont have a problem with white people attending pow wows. As long as they are respectful of the grounds well that goes for everyone. Well if ya look at from my point of view some people rag on the white peope cuz they alwasy ask silly questions and even sometimes pay to take a picture with you. Thats kinda cool to me, cuz they are interested in the native cultures. But on the other hand the non-natives who WANT TO BE native is really pathedic. Afterall pow wows they are open to everyone...plus during intertribals usually the MC invites everyone to come out.
                        I couldnt agree with you more ...I think pow wows are for everyone to enjoy...and as long as you are respectful of everything that goes on its alright by me..to be honest..i have seen some non-natives show more respect than natives...
                        Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth
                        :

Comment

well,
                          This is interesting. I was at the Calgary Stampede powwow and there was some white chic dressed up in a traditional outfit. It was very nice, the outfit, but she was white and you could tell that there was not one drop in Native blood in her. She was playing indian. It bugged me. And theres the people that think they know everything...they have those people who come to the Stampede Indian Village too. Yet there ar ethose people who just enjoy watching and having fun adn don't try to be indian. I don't know people should have some respect and go find thier own culture and accept others. I do shows for people and people say to me that what I do is beautiful. They enjoy it.I mean, what can I say to that. But it was that girl and people who think they know everything who bug me. If they come and observe, that's fine with me, but wannabes? Nope. People who come and ask questions is cool, and people who think its beautiful too:D I think though its a diverse subject and everyone is entilted to thier own opinion and respect others opinions. I can agree with everyone of you:D Anyways, i hope I made sense:D
                          Peace people,
                          fancyshawls

Comment

[QUOTE=colonah04]
                            Originally posted by middle of the sky
                            [COLOR=Teal]I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl.

Hi Middle, inter-tribals or Owl???? wasn't that a different thread? J/K...
                            hope this typo wasn't an omen!
                            C
                            lol....i was going to post one of my lame o jokes on that thread....about the owl dance...when i went to winnipeg i forgot how it was fun to go out and ask non-natives to dance the owl dance..they dont do that out here in the west yep...im not a witch...oops diff thread.(and no pms jokes)..lol..im just going to be one for halloween...

Comment

I agree that "white" people are more than welcome to attend pow wows after all isnt that one of the reasons we hold such events, to create awareness? As long as they respect our traditions and are not ignorant in asking the proper questons. I also agree that "white" people need to understand that yes we are ALL Natives but we do not have the same practices we are unique that way, what one tribe does could be totally diff than what another tribe does and everyone needs to respect that.
                              I think it is good that ALL cultures share but when it comes to being ignorant and just clinging onto a culture because you think it is cool well then there is a problem, kinda like some of the young Natives acting like black folk with all the rap , gangster attitudes, thats not US but because it is cool our youth abandon thier own traditions and dive into something else while offending the original people of that culture because they do not understand the history behind it.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.