White People at Pow Wows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by many paws View Post
    I would not go to anybodys church for a religious occasion and not have studied the etiquette, you go to a pow wow to listen, learn and be respectful to all, do not act like an idiot and say things that offend.
    many paws.
    Dang, Lady Chatterly, why do you call me an idiot? Is it because I said you will always be white and NEVER be Indigenous to this land? You can call me an idiot, but you can't call me a liar!

Long Branch...hmmm? I've heard of Long Branch. Is that the Long Branch on Highway 72 surrounded by Bladenboro to the east, Lumberton to the north, Fairmont to the west and Orrum to the south?

I should got to a powwow so I can start catching up to your ONE!

Dude...you elevator doesn't go to the top floor.
    Last edited by Joe's Dad; 09-15-2010, 02:03 AM.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
      NDN = Indian

i thought it meant natives doin naughty

Comment

• Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
        Just to clarify, what Dr Deloria was referring to was the lingering vestiges of European class systems in Euro-American family histories. People were never the descendent of village horse thief, they came from Charlemagne's second cousin twice removed. Even when they claimed Native linage, they found princesses, chiefs, and medicine men.
        I definitely will move it up on my reading list. That phenomenon has puzzled me for some time.

For such a republican (not meaning GOP) country, we are absolutely wild about royalty. In fact, Obama is the first president that I can remember that shortly after the election there weren't newspaper articles reporting how the new president-elect was related to the Windsors.

You gotta go back pretty far before you find anyone of note in my family. I have the Younger Brothers on my Mom's side, though. Plenty of thievin' going on there!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
          i thought it meant natives doin naughty
          Well...maybe at Two Leggins!
          sigpic

Comment

Well...maybe at Two Leggins!
            i still wanna know whats this two leggins thing is...or do i?

Comment

Where I come from we're meat purists - we eat our steaks rare!
              Mmmmm A real bloody Texas steak...even this Swedish tummy loves that

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
              Blood sausage - I think you Brits call it "black pudding?" We call it "blood sausage." For something that sounds so disgusting, it is so-o-o good. Growing up we used to eat it with a little bit of syrup. Or, when we kept bees, fresh honey. Mmmmmmm

Now I'm making myself hungry!
              In Sweden we call it Blood Pudding and it is fried in a frypan served with lingonberrie jam....soooooo yummie....you gotta try that... you can find lingonberrie jam at Central Market or IKEA

Comment

• Whether your ancestors were Plantagenets, Jack the ripper, Richard the lion Heart, or the town drunk is of little consequence. It's what YOU are as a person that matters. How can anybody be any race other than by blood?
                But that noted prophet JD is correct, it always comes down to food, eh what?
                Last edited by Joe G; 09-15-2010, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                  it always comes down to food, eh what?

Unless you're Scottish... *shudder* Then you figure out how to escape without touching any of it I think most Scottish food was based on a dare. Haggis is all the proof you need xD

Comment

• Black pudding -- OK I'm a food bigot. My hair is standing on end over this one. Sunktaki no offense, but I won't be serving that at our next beading group luncheon. Now the lingon berry jam is another matter. Swedish wojapi, LOL.

Corvid be nice to Scottish food. Inky pinky and neeps and tatties, yummy.

Comment

• Scratching my head...and feel like a blonde...because isn't all Swedish women tall blue eyed with blond hair with big meatballs....ooh darn it... then that means that I can't be Swedish...ooh that's right... I am Sami...and how much bleach and contact lenses I have tried, I still can't become 5' tall..not even the miracle grow worked...darn it...

Many Paws...you state on your profile:
                      "I just went to my first Pow wow as I am a new Cherokee to the Nation"
                      "Tribal Affiliation
                      Cherokee "

No offense...but who of your Brittish ancestors are on any of the "Rolls", as that is required to be enrolled as a member of the Cherokee Nation.
                      Eastern/Western doesn't matter...
                      Beside, both Nations have come to an agrement to take legal actions against groups/people, that claim to be Cherokee, without proof.

You.... are just like me, an immigrant to this country, that is where it ends...I do not claim to be something I am not...so the major difference is...I am Sami, indigenious to my country, just as my brothers and sisters, The Native Americans/First Nations are to this country and Canada. You portaits yourself as something you are not, i.e. Native American...shame on you....no matter how many adoptions you have, you will still be from England, and no matter how much sun tan, or spray paint used, when you look at yourself in the mirror, you will still be the immigrant from England, nothing can ever change that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunktaki View Post
                        Mmmmm A real bloody Texas steak...even this Swedish tummy loves that

In Sweden we call it Blood Pudding and it is fried in a frypan served with lingonberrie jam....soooooo yummie....you gotta try that... you can find lingonberrie jam at Central Market or IKEA
                        Yep! Rare steak - no steak sauce, just whatever seasoning was used in cooking, and some sauteed mushrooms on the side. Anyone else put butter on their steaks? Mmmmm, good eatin'!

I haven't had lingonberry jam in years! That does sound good. I never thought to eat blood sausage with jam. That would be a good combination. I think I just found 2 more additions to my grocery list this weekend!
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
                          i still wanna know whats this two leggins thing is...or do i?
                          G&B, Two Leggings is just an area outside of Crow Agency where the 49's USED to be held at Crow Fair. It's pretty much locked down now during the powwow.

So have you eaten any crumpets lately?
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                            Whether your ancestors were Plantagenets, Jack the ripper, Richard the lion Heart, or the town drunk is of little consequence. It's what YOU are as a person that matters.
                            Amen!
                            sigpic

Comment

• I, personally, LOVE IT when white people come to the powwows. I love to watch them dance during intertribals. Oh, the things I've seen! Nope, wouldn't be the same w/o them....:) Heck, even I can't dance like Joe Cocker...but they can!!!! Must be an english thang.....:P

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven Black Wolf View Post
                                I, personally, LOVE IT when white people come to the powwows. I love to watch them dance during intertribals. Oh, the things I've seen! Nope, wouldn't be the same w/o them....:) Heck, even I can't dance like Joe Cocker...but they can!!!! Must be an english thang.....:P
                                this is all I have to say...

a lesson in dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THx5M...eature=related

am surprised the dog throw up...poor dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W6BP...eature=related

Wish this guy would teach the ladies that so badly wants to be NDN how to dance...lol
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7o6...eature=related

Hmmm...but it my eyes it is not just Non Natives behaving bad....this was taped of the Hip Hop contest on the Chickahominy Tribe in VA powwow, according to another clip. ( this is a different music mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuMqb...eature=related
                                Last edited by Sunktaki; 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.