Wal-Mart being sued by Oglala man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart being sued by Oglala man

I got this in an e mail. I had doubted the validity of this but since have found some websites and it sure appears to be on the up and up. I know that the one site of him standing in front of a wal mart it is indeed the wal mart in Chadron cause I have been there and I was not treated very well. I was buying food for a wake for my daughters boyfriends aunt and even though I was buying a lot of meat and etc. the person working in the meat department was really rude. He had looked at us and asked if it was for ceremony, I said it was for a wake. He didn't say anything but his look spoke volumes. I had been kept waiting for them to slice the hams I was buying for over a 45 min then when I saw a white woman and man give him their order and get theirs in a matter of 5 min I was a little hot! It wouldn't have been so bad but then when I asked where my order was it hadn't even been started and was told that I would have to wait for another half hour.:Angry

Good Morning, I send you greetings in a good way.

My name is Joseph RedCloud and I am the eldest male of the 6th generation direct descendent's from Chief RedCloud of the Oglala Lakota. I live in th small college town of Chadron, Nebraska roughly 50 miles south of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation of South Dakota.

As you are already aware, life in small border towns along Indian reservations is often filled with strife and misconceptions from the past. We Oglala's have had a continuing dispute with the state of Nebraska and the small hamlet called White Clay for dozens of years concerning the overwhelming amount of liquor package goods stores and the effect their large sales of alcohol has upon the residents of our reservation. And, while your fine establishment has covered this situation in the past, this is not the subject of which I wish to advise you of today. It is yet another symptom of what is going on across Indian Country.

I wish to bring to your attention a lawsuit recently filed against a giant company, namely WalMart. WalMart is the nations largest private employer with some 3,580 stores and 1.2 million full and part-time employees. It is a leader on the Fortune 500 with $258 billion in sales this year. As with most border towns, Chadron's WalMart depends on its customers from the nearby Indian Reservation as their largest customer base. Indeed, WalMart was welcomed with open arms by the city fathers of Chadron several years ago when it elected to locate a store in the Nebraska panhandle. And yet, despite this economic shot in the arm for Chadron residents, racism has raised it's ugly head yet again.

Last week, Mr. Greg Clements, a member of both the Oglala Sioux Tribe an the American Legion Post 34 in Gordon, Nebraska, filed a $25 million lawsuit against WalMart because of racial discrimination.

The lawsuit is based upon the events of 29 June 2004 where three non-Indian WalMart employees harassed their co-worker, Mr. Greg Clements, about a law still on the books in another small border town, Crawford, Nebraska. The law in question states that if two or more American Indians are found on or crossing a bridge, they may be shot at.

Over the course of the 10:30pm through 7:30am shift, Mr. Greg Clements was the focus of continued remarks concerning this "law". Although Mr. Greg Clements did advise his immediate supervisors about this inappropriate harassment, nothing was done to address and correct the behavior of the non-Indian employees. The situation continued to escalate right up to the end of the work shift when a WalMart co-worker offered Mr. Greg Clements a ride home. As Mr. Greg Clifford approached the co-workers truck, the co-worker inquired if he wished to see the type of fire power he had and pointed a loaded .380 automatic pistol at Mr. Greg Clements. The co-worker kept the weapon leveled at Mr. Greg Clements while explaining the capabilities of the weapon. Naturally, Mr. Greg Clements declined the offered ride home.

Mr. Greg Clements has since contacted the Chief of Police in Chadron, the Dawes County Sheriffs office, the Nebraska State Police and, most recently, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has begun to look into the situation. Chadron Chief of Police, Jerry Crews, has issued Mr. Greg Clements a 9-1-1 enabled cellular phone because Mr. Greg Clements' home had recently been broken into. It has been suggested the purpose behind the break- in may have been to obtain the documentation Mr. Greg Clements is using in his racial discrimination lawsuit.

Mr. Greg Clements has been forced to move to a new home, the cost of which has consumed all of his savings. Because Mr. Greg Clements is a Marine Corps Combat Veteran, his lawsuit has been noticed and is in the course of being investigated by the Civil Rights Commission in Washington, DC.

Had this situation been reversed (an American Indian pointing a loaded weapon at a non-Indian), the American Indian would have been immediately arrested pending an investigation of the charge. However, in this case, not only was the weapon not registered nor was the owner licensed to carry a concealed weapon, the co-worker has not been arrested.

Indeed, as of this writing, no formal charges have been filed against the co-worker. As a matter of fact, this incident has not made any news in the local papers nor has it been mentioned on the local radio station of KCSR (610 AM).

The only newspaper that has elected to cover this story is one called Black Hills Peoples News, owned and operated by Mr. Robert Clifford (605 867-2220).

Mr. Greg Clements is a decorated combat veteran, a prior member of the Department of Public Safety in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, an active member of the American Legion and a good citizen of Chadron, Nebraska.

I request someone in your fine organization look into this matter since it has an immediate bearing on the lives of all Americans with specific emphasis upon American Indians and Veterans.

Most Respectfully,

Joseph RedCloud

This Type of Racism should not Stand. It is time we band together for a common cause. I hear Native Peoples say all the time how everyone always talks but no one does anything. Well Heres Your Chance! Please show your disgust for the racism towards Native people in this situation. I urge everyone to do the following as I have already done.

1: I have contacted Walmart by phone and letter and informed them that until this act of racism towards an American Indian (Mr.Clements) has been adequitely settled; the offending employees have been dismissed and Walmart publicly apologizes for the harassment of an American Indian in their employ. I will boycott any & all of their stores anywhere that they may be. I will encourage all of my family and everyone I do & do not know to do the same.

Walmart
    1-800-925-6278
    1-479-273-4000

contact info:
    Jeane Jackson
    702 S.W. 8th Street
    Bentonville, AR 72716

2: I have contacted the Chadron City Council & Police Dept. and emanded
    immediate Criminal Proceedings be taken against the Walmart Employee who pointed the pistol at Mr.Clements and hate crime charges filed against the two other employees who harassed him in the performance of his job.

Chadron City Council & Police
    [email protected]

P.O. Box 390
    234 Main Chadron, NE 69337

3: I have contacted the City Council and Mayor of Crawford Nebraska Demanding the immediate repeal of that racist law discribed above.

Crawford [email protected]
    Info [email protected]

4: I have contacted the following news groups and requested their looking into this matter. As their has been no news coverage of this issue, as if none of the news agencies want to upset the powerful Walmart Corporation. The Links to them are below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedba...ews_form.shtml
    http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form1.html?39
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

What are you going to do to make a difference for Native Peoples? Stand Up And Fight Back! I may not be able to do much, but I can do this!

Thomas Greywolf Atkins
    Chickahominy/Mattaponi

PLEASE IF YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING MORE THEN JUST PASS THIS ON, THEN PLEASE DO SO AS THE WORD NEEDS TO BE GOTTEN OUT THERE FOR AS MANY AS POSSIBLE TO SEE! THANK YOU
    Last edited by Mato Winyan; 11-09-2004, 08:40 PM.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Here are the links:

http://www.beinghumanparty.com/LDF-main.htm

http://www.beinghumanparty.com/LDF-Clem.htm

http://snrs.unl.edu/people/undergrad...ments-greg.asp
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

To make a donation to the defense fund

You can make donations to Greg's legal defense fund here:
      http://www.beinghumanparty.com/LDF-main.htm

Comment

Just goes to show times really haven't changed as much as you would have liked. What I don't understand is why he has to raise money for a defense fund when he hasn't done anything wrong. Laws are crazy. I hope this man wins and that it is eventually covered by the mainstream media. This also proves that if it isn't how much big business controls the "freedom of the press".

Comment

Wow. I pray Greg Clements gets through this fine. He's got a lotta guts. And i wish those racist dudes a long painful "life", before they head to hell.

Comment

any news on the lawsuit this month? have those employees been fired yet?

keep us updated.
            We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart!

Comment

I haven't been able to find any news about this so far...can we have an update, please?
              ---Hewovy
              When it is dark enough...you can see the stars.

Comment

wal-mart

To whom at the news channels did you speak with?
                Have they even called back?
                What did the WANNA BE JOHN WAYNE have to say?
                I guess the feds are more concerned about who and where the next round of coffe and dougnuts are coming from.
                I'll start spreading the word around my area and see what we might be able to come up with.please keep us informed.
                This just goes to show that Corperate America has gotten so out of control it makes me sick.
                Paul Flores
                " MY RICE CRISPYS TALK TO ME"

Comment

Originally posted by paulflores
                  To whom at the news channels did you speak with?
                  Have they even called back?
                  What did the WANNA BE JOHN WAYNE have to say?
                  I guess the feds are more concerned about who and where the next round of coffe and dougnuts are coming from.
                  I'll start spreading the word around my area and see what we might be able to come up with.please keep us informed.
                  This just goes to show that Corperate America has gotten so out of control it makes me sick.
                  Agreed! The media also makes me sick...that they have ignored this, when had it been any other race...it would be all they could talk about...
                  ---Hewovy
                  When it is dark enough...you can see the stars.

Comment

I will try my best to spread this across okla. b/c I know that the natives here in Okla. would want to know about it. May god bless Greg.

SAM

What don't kill you, only makes you stronger!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X