Preferred names for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred names for us

Hey how is it going people. I was thinking and noticed that in Canada we call ourselves First Nation(s), Native, Aboriginal, Native Indian, Indian. In the U.S. I notice that it is Native American, Indian, Natives. I know around each other we don't mind being called Indian. In my language the translation is People of the Earth (can also use Land). I wanted to know what everybody thought. I was going to put it in the Chit Chat forum but I already know it would be moved to this forum so I thought I would save time and start the thread here. I realize we are called a bunch of other names that are less than complimentary. I have gone back into the threads but after going back 50 what are they called pages of posts. I couldn't find anything. Wanted to get everybody's input. What do you prefer to be called and what do you hate to be called. And cause you are a bunch of crazy Indians, don't say don't call me late for supper. I don't care if you joke I just wanted to find out. I have some young cousins who really get upset when we call ourselves Indians. They say it is a shameful name we are called by a guy who got lost, and his ancestors just don't want to admit it. Is it an age thing. Let me know.

Well see this one time....At Band Camp....

Actually....I'll bet many people think Cristobal Colon referred to the people as "Indians" cause he thought he was in India......Right?

BAAAAAAA! Wrong.....See India did not exist....It was called Hindustandt (sp?) Colon sailed under the Spanish crown so....hence the term "Indios" which translates in English to "In God" I imagine if you play around with that some you come up with "Indian". If you really want to get P.C. though....How can we be Native....2 America? We existed long before? Also I just don't like the sound of that word...Native....Blah! 1st nations has a pretty goot ring to it far better then "Native".....All an all I like Indian, but wait......Is that the "P.C." term.....? In my best George Carlin voice....."Frankly Scarlet I don't give a dam....."

How's Skin? Is that "excpetable"...

Oh don't mind me....The Coffee is just kicking in.....
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

George Carlin actually cited it as 'Una gente in Dios,' or people under god. ;)

In NW Ontario folks usually say Ojibwe or Native. We have a few Oji-crees layin around, but they're really ojibwe people who were once told they were related to Crees and therefore had to create a new dialect to fit the popular prejudice of what an Oji-cree should sound like.

It's really more of the same, When the Franciscans and thier ilk came over here they started cataloguing people and places. Then after all this info was collected, well, they started grouping people into taxonomies like was done with other species at the time. Mostly they used language and dialects to groupe people up, but really at this time everyone spoke the same language in that area (algonkian people they say).

So, everyone got labeled up as ojibwe, cree, oji-cree, swampy cree, algonquin, abanaki, all those things. Then they all got seperated and over time, people started to believe that they were these things. This is how the old guys tell it anyhow. Now we have all these different dialects and people sometimes can't understand each other because of that seperation and labeling. Mii ezhiwebak. That's how it went.

So there, you see it's more of the same.
      Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

I really dont mind being called and Indian...i really like First Nations :) We Indigenous is good to. But just to make things simple how about just brown? ha but not all natives, aboriginals, idigenous, first nations, indians are brown. oh wells :P
        (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

Hmmm...well, Indian is a popular term here on the A/C rez. For a while, Indian was being used, then native, but a majority of people call each other Indian. My cousin even calls himself a savage. *LOL*
          Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

ummm

up here there are "politically correct" ways to call the different nationalities

- but, personally, i was born an eskimo and will die as an eskimo and that's my personal choice, as i shmile with eskimo pride.
            Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
            A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
            A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
            Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

I dont mind being called Indian, i like First Nation and Native...Good Lookin is cool too..LOL:rofl2:..jk

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
              When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

I don't know if my opinion counts on this since I'm mixed, but wanted to reply though

I really does not matter what I am called it is all about how the person says it, but my son perfers to be called Cherokee cause he says Indians come from India. I think the problems lies here in the states, because in the United States everyone is in some sort of race category. I'm 1/2 blk as well and we have the same problem everyone wants to be called something different. So on different applications when it comes to races they have added mixed, bi-racial,multi-racial and other ( what is Other ?), sometimes I just put "other" just to mess with there minds, and put "human" cause if you chose mixed, bi-racial or multi-racial they still want you to pick which one you are most identified with. I don't know about most states but here in Michigan they are not suppose to ask about race on job application or social sercurity numbers either because they can tell about your race you are using the numbers.
                Sorry for the long rant.
                Last edited by Dyami; 11-17-2004, 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I don't mind being called an NDN..only by other NDN's tho:D
                  I prefer the term "First Nations", mainly b/c we were the FIRST Nations on this continent right, and plus it has a nice ring to it:D. It really has to vary in the papers that I write too, because I have to use consistent terminology..but it's almost always First Nations:)
                  (¯`·._)Ït §M꣣$ £¡kë ®åíñßÕw§ (¯`·._)

Comment

If we name folks by their social grouping, then the folks from England are "English". The folks from Germany are "German", the folks from Russia are "Russian", etc.

Each tribe, being a 'nation'. Kiowa folks are simply 'Kiowa'.

'Objiwe' are 'Objiwe'.

'Comanche' are 'Comanche'.

I don't mind, "Indian", "Native", "First Peoples", or any other term.

But, "Kiowa" suits me best.
                    Scott Zotigh
                    Kiowa Black Leggings
                    Kiowa Gourd Clan
                    Kiowa Tiah Piah
                    Kiowa Marine Veterans
                    American Indian Veterans

Comment

Call Me First Nations But I am Human being first

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

I tell everyone that I'm native american.. Which I believe is right for me cuz..I think the word native means from this land.. 1st ones here etc.. etc.. ANd I' still get pi$$ed off when I watch these dang shows with the kkk or skin heads telling the other people of color or nationalities to go home that they aren't from here!! That burns me up.. I fire back with.. Dude just where in the hell did you come from? You go back to your original country.. You have no right to tell any race to go back to their homeland!.. I would just love to go to a kkk march and throw rotten tomatoes at them!!! I'm already thinking to put a tatoo on the rear window of my truck of a littlte boy peeing.. get this!!!!! on the letters KKK.. mY Husband says I'm looking for trouble but I can't help it... I really can't stomach these people!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by little wolf
                          I tell everyone that I'm native american.. Which I believe is right for me cuz..I think the word native means from this land.. 1st ones here etc.. etc.. ANd I' still get pi$$ed off when I watch these dang shows with the kkk or skin heads telling the other people of color or nationalities to go home that they aren't from here!! That burns me up.. I fire back with.. Dude just where in the hell did you come from? You go back to your original country.. You have no right to tell any race to go back to their homeland!.. I would just love to go to a kkk march and throw rotten tomatoes at them!!! I'm already thinking to put a tatoo on the rear window of my truck of a littlte boy peeing.. get this!!!!! on the letters KKK.. mY Husband says I'm looking for trouble but I can't help it... I really can't stomach these people!!!!

Yup how fast the settlers forget, they think this land is thiers but abuse it with everything they have. i have said the same words to people that have told me to go home.. I tell them i am home.. what bout you... then they remember who they talking to.. I have never had to encounter the KKK but yeah you would be asking fer trouble not only to yourself but your family these people dont care who they hurt, they are self indulgent people.
                          In anyway you look at it in any theory the first man or peoples was never a white guy.. they were all of ethnic color... either black.. middle eastern, first Nations ect... i think they (whites) still trying to find a place to fit in...even monkeys had brown skin.. LMAO..

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by AngelFeather
                            ... i think they (whites) still trying to find a place to fit in...even monkeys had brown skin.. LMAO..

:rofl2:..yup, i agree.

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
                            When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Originally posted by AngelFeather
                              Yup how fast the settlers forget, they think this land is thiers but abuse it with everything they have. i have said the same words to people that have told me to go home.. I tell them i am home.. what bout you... then they remember who they talking to.. I have never had to encounter the KKK but yeah you would be asking fer trouble not only to yourself but your family these people dont care who they hurt, they are self indulgent people.
                              In anyway you look at it in any theory the first man or peoples was never a white guy.. they were all of ethnic color... either black.. middle eastern, first Nations ect... i think they (whites) still trying to find a place to fit in...even monkeys had brown skin.. LMAO..
                              I agree totally.. I have had dealings with the kkk and it was not a pretty site... They make me sick with their white power... I tel them to trace where they came from and then go home!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.