Delaware Tribe loses separate federal status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware Tribe loses separate federal status

The certainty of Tribal Sovereignty is not FOR CERTAIN.

Termination of tribal recognition status could happen to your tribe.

Many of us who are American Indian never imagine our tribes being terminated or loosing their Federal recognition status.

One-month ago, it happened to a tribe whose rich history with the United States began with the first American Indian-United States Treaty in 1778.

This is what I heard.

Without consulting the Delaware Tribe of Indians (who live in Oklahoma), the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals terminated their tribal federal status and merged them with the Cherokee Nation. Now the former Delawares are now technically... Cherokee.

If it can happen to the Delaware, it can happen to your tribe.

_

Here is a synopsis of what was printed after the decision on Indianz.com:

'Fight the Cherokee Nation until hell freezes over'
    Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Responding to a court's revocation of his tribe's federal recognition, the chief of the Delaware Tribe of Oklahoma said he "will fight the chief of the Cherokee Nation until hell freezes over."

Delaware Chief Joe Brooks told The Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise that the tribe will appeal yesterday's decision from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. "We are a free and independent nation and will remain such," he was quoted as saying.

The Cherokee sued the Interior Department when it recognized the Delawares as a separate tribe. The Cherokee Nation opposes federal status for the Delawares, citing an 1866 treaty and a sale of lands to the Delawares.

Brooks said the Cherokees are motivated by "greed."
    __

The Delaware Tribe of Indians plans to appeal this decision. If it goes to the Supreme Court and they lose, their soveignty as Delaware Indians will cease to exist.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Havent many tribes been under the "Cherokee Nation" before?? I believe the Shawnees(Absentee, the once called Loyal, and Eastern) were all under it a while ago. Does the Cherokee nation oppose them too? I cant say I blame the chief for fighting. Ive seen him around a few stomp dances too...even leads(Not that it has anything to do with the issue though)
    www.myspace.com/powwowlicious

Comment

Originally posted by 1badazzndn
      Havent many tribes been under the "Cherokee Nation" before?? I believe the Shawnees(Absentee, the once called Loyal, and Eastern) were all under it a while ago. . .
      __

I think the following tribes were once grouped under the "Cherokee Nation" during the removal period: Muscogee (Creek), Chickasaw, Choctaw, Shawnee, Yuchi and Seneca.

Today, tribes that may legally be associated with the Cherokee are:

Cherokee Nation, Oklahoma
      Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina
      United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians of Oklahoma
      Chickasaw Nation, Oklahoma

Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
      Delaware Nation, Oklahoma
      Delaware Tribe of Indians, Oklahoma
      Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, Mississippi

Eastern Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma
      Absentee-Shawnee Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma
      Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma
      Muscogee (Creek) Nation, Oklahoma

Alabama-Quassarte Tribal Town, Oklahoma
      Kialegee Tribal Town, Oklahoma
      Thlopthlocco Tribal Town, Oklahoma
      Alabama-Coushatta Tribes of Texas

Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana
      Poarch Band of Creek Indians of Alabama
      Yuchi Tribe of Oklahoma
      Seneca Nation of New York
      Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma

__

If the Delaware Tribe of Indians can be terminated - due to association - maybe under the same legal precident, these tribes will also eventually be called ... Cherokee Nation?

Scary, huh?

__

I have posted before that Plenary Power gives Congress the legal power to terminate Tribes at will.

Even scarier huh?
      Last edited by WhoMe; 12-02-2004, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is VERY scary. so its soverign, but not soverign huh?
        www.myspace.com/powwowlicious

Comment

Wow...this is sad and scary. But I think anger seems to be misguided alot. Which is what I think the government wants. Us to fight amongst one another.
          Life is more than what we see...

Comment

Originally posted by luvlumbee
            Which is what I think the government wants. Us to fight amongst one another.
            __

You are right luvL:

History has proven that America - starting with the Revolutionary war - have used Indian tribes to fight against one another for their gain. In a way, "Indians got used." I know of not one tribe who has gained more lands since European first-contact.

The idea of making Indians fight amongst one another was further expanded during the reservation era. The government strategically put traditional enemies on reservations that bordered each other. Some examples include: Hopi/Navaho, Crow/Cheyenne and Shoshone/Arapaho. I am not being vendictive, just stating the facts.

As long as nonIndians continue to make decisions for the future of Indian country, there will always be those in power who will pit Indian-against-Indian.

"This is why it is important for you and all other young Indian people to learn your history, get a specialized level of education and go forward to fight the many wrongs that have been done and continue to be done to Indian people."

Comment

I don't post very often but I do read. Some of the things I read on here are so heart-wretching, I cannot respond. I don't like to fight and find no need in "winning arguments". Because of course, everyone has an opinion. It seems like the hottest topics are those that put others down. I dont like to see what's happening not only with Natives but in our world. Thank god for the good people in the world who seem to occasionally pass you by and seem to make your day. With just a few words or even a smile. If it were'nt for them then evil would conquer us all. I even have to catch myself sometimes. I try not to get wrapped up in things. Its important to stand your ground. Not follow others.
              I completely understand why tribes have animosity because its been created. It all boils down to fear.

The reality is everything can be taken away. They've gotten away with it before. They'll do it again! Why fight?? Stand together. Ya know....
              Life is more than what we see...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.