Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School shooting at Red Lake Mn - anyone know anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School shooting at Red Lake Mn - anyone know anything?

Just heard a report on Global TV that there's been a shooting incident in Red Lake - anyone have more info?

This was in my local online paper today.

Deaths Reported in Minn. School Shooting

RED LAKE, Minn. (AP) -- As many as 14 people were injured and some killed in a shooting Monday at a Minnesota high school, authorities said. Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota. Lyons said a suspect was in custody, but he had no other details.

The FBI did not say how many people had been killed and also declined to release details.

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Comment

I just heard about it at 6:30 on CBS national news. They are saying 6 dead including the shooter, and that the shooter killed his grandpa and his wife then headed to the school. They were talking to a man named Mr. Statley, Red Lake Fire Department. That's all I know.'

Then they had reports that the shooter was in custody so they are not sure what happened. The gentleman they talked too said 18 people were injured. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
      He's the type of rez I like
      ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

This is awful, I just read it at go.com. So who's the shooter? Indian, white or black? Terrible day. My condolences to the families and friends hurt by this tragedy. *sighs* man.
        ...jus put on Mandareeeee....

Comment

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Update!

From Red Lake Net News:
            http://www.rlnn.com/ArtMar05/Shooting.html

"Preliminary reports are sketchy and they are all unconfirmed, but it is believed as many as 24 people have been shot on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, and at the Red Lake High School, and as many as 10 are reported to have died as a result of those shootings. The majority of the shootings took place at the school.

At the time of this writing, the school was still under lockdown and considered a hostile area yet, with local police, FBI investigators, state police, Leech Lake Police and county deputies at the scene, although students still in the building had all been released.

According to early reports, sometime after2 p.m. a student of the school, allegedly shot his grandfather and grandmother at their home in the Back of Town (BOT) area in Red Lake, then went to the Red Lake High School in his grandfather's law enforcement vehicle, where he shot and killed a school security guard, 8 students and 1 teacher.. There are reports of 10-12 fatalities from the shootings, and 14 wounded--some critically.

The names of all the victims are being withheld pending notification of relatives.

The boy's grandfather was a veteran law enforcement officer for the Red Lake Police Department with over 30 years experience, and the entire reservation is shocked, stunned and grieving.

Although still under investigation and further details will be released at a conference scheduled for 2 p.m. tomorrow, the student was reportedly involved in a confrontation with Red Lake Police inside the school, and may have fatally shot himself.

The weapons he reportedly used may have belonged to his grandfather, and a fire department official stated the boy was wearing a police utility belt with service revolvers and also had used a shotgun

A press conference was scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Criminal Justice Complex in Red Lake....."

Comment

omg thats so sad. My condolences and prayers for all those involved.

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
              When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

i went to cnn .com to read more...

Comment

Hi
                  Here is some info about the school shooting goto http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7259823/&GT1=6305 from the MSNBC Crime and Punishment page.
                  Asema Is Sacred
                  Traditional Use, Not Misuse
                  Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
                  OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

my thaughts and prayes go out to the family i didnt find out till i got home tonight its horrible that it had to happen *sigh
                    187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
                    ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
                    ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
                    BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
                    ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
                    LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
                    StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
                    Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                    ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
                    CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
                    NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
                    RIP lil brother

Comment

Originally posted by T. Jude Fox
                      This is awful, I just read it at go.com. So who's the shooter? Indian, white or black? Terrible day. My condolences to the families and friends hurt by this tragedy. *sighs* man.
                      It doesn't matter if the guy was white, ndn, black or whatever. People are dead, they won't know who did it, the families are grieving for their dead and future grandchildren and other relatives, they probably don't care now either. Dead is dead.

Comment

my condolences to all the families. It's hard to fathom this happening or why someone would feel they would have to do this.
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

R.i.p.

My heart and prayers goes out to all those who were so tragically cut down. And may the families find some peace.
                          Stomp dancing all night long

Comment

man oh man, sincerest condolences to the residents, families and individuals touched by this tragedy...my heart and prayers are with you.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi here is the latest info about the shooting goto http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7259823/ for the info. The kid was a Neo Nazi too.
                              Asema Is Sacred
                              Traditional Use, Not Misuse
                              Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
                              OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.