racism research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• racism research

Hey ya'll...I need ur input on 2 projects that both have to do with nDn stereotypes and institutional racism--like mascots & using Native images/names/symbols as commodoties or to sell stuff.
    The first is for a race & ethnic relations class and it's just a comparison of views regarding the images and mascots. As u probably know, I haven't had a problem finding sociological/psychological theories (and plenty of pissed off opinions) that support the removal of these images. But to be accurate I have to find support for both sides. Has N E one heard N E legit arguments or theories that are pro-mascot or for the use of em?
    Second,for a psych statistics class, I want to give a survey in order to try to measure stereotypes and racism. This is going to be hard because people aren't going to be honest if they know it is about racism.What I want to do is have a series of pictures and have people rate them. One example I want to use is pretty graphic but it would be a series of 3 pictures with:
    A.a Nazi camp with starving prisoners
    B.a scarred or lynched slave
    C.the "End of the Trail" image
    Then I would ask something like "which is most disturbing?" or have them rate on a scale how each one makes them feel. Does this make sense? (I mean all 3 pix depict the lowest point in time for each group but there's only one that nobody would think twice about hanging on their wall)
    Basically what I'm trying to find are images,symbols,words etc. like this to use in the research to measure cultural sensitivity/desensitization.The reason I want ur help is b/c I feel like I've already got some of the obvious.But, is there N E thing(particularly something I can put into pix or simple description) that u find offensive either to ur nation or to u as an individual?
    Also, let me know if this sounds like stupid research, if u've seen it done before(and where!so I can reference),or if you have any ideas. Also again, once I get the survey finished, I'm going to need to give it to a lot of people and would anyone be willing to help????If I can get a good response I will be able to present it on a national level in the fall!!!
    Last edited by gubmintcheeze; 04-22-2005, 04:52 AM.

UNC Pembroke has a Native American Mascot and want to keep it. They have very legititmate arguments for keeping him, i.e school was originally and "Normal" school for natives, large native population, etc. YOu can do a Google search and coem up with the articles and info onthat one. Good luck with your research

Comment

Also check out hte archives on this site and soem links below; this matter has been discussed before here.

Comment

This is a recent article for you to start with and you can research the links whatever. It has to do with racism in Canadian sports. Hockey to be exact. The hockey team is all-Indian.

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...5/-1/FRONTPAGE

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
          This is a recent article for you to start with and you can research the links whatever. It has to do with racism in Canadian sports. Hockey to be exact. The hockey team is all-Indian.

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...5/-1/FRONTPAGE
          That's a really cool article. I also attended a coaches conference last year and heard from a real cool speaker, Wonique Horne-Miller. She was co-captain of the Canadian Women's Water Polo and an Aboriginal woman from the Six Nations, I believe. She did a really good talk on racisim in sport.

Comment

yeah, thanks for the link, that is a neat article.

Comment

I always thought that "End of the Trail" was an artistic image, and did'nt exactly represent the cherokee removal, I could be wrong... but if you are looking for disturbing images there are photos of the aftermath of wounded knee.. http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/reso...ight/68_09.htm
              http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/reso...ight/68_11.htm
              http://www.csulb.edu/projects/ais/na...1_002_4.43.jpg
              http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/reso...ight/68_10.htm
              ..and plenty of places to research it on the web.
              Last edited by Blackbear; 04-22-2005, 01:12 PM.
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I heard that there was a non-white hockey team using a caricature of a white guy with a powdered wig as their logo. Anyone seen this?

Also suggest you use some of the Wounded Knee/Greasy Grass historical photos - they show how far the whole eradicate the ndn thing went.

how much time do you have?

What about talking about movies with ndn stories with a white character to centre around - think windtalkers.

Hidalgo is a great movie - it shows (among other things) the blatant rascism Frank/Blue child experienced during his trip to race overseas.

Comment

You can also do a search for the "Fighting Whities Intramural Basketball Team" forget what school they're from, but they're a mixed team that uses a cartoon character white guy from the 50's as their mascot. Their team logo: "Everything's gona be all white."
                  Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Also for info on the impact on negative Black images,
                    do a google search on this topic, "negative depictions of Jim in Huckleberry Finn."

You'll find pictures like this one I used in my classroom
                    Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Which image would be more graphic... I think that it would be the concentration camp. I think that you should look into a book called, "lies my teacher told me, everything your history textbook got wrong" by James Loewen. That is a really good book, it talks about racist issues that are not in textbooks. It also states that Hitler copied the concentration camp from the U.S. government... the way Hitler treat the Jews was no different then the way the Government treated Natives.

Comment

That is an excellent book! I read it a while back...

Comment

Yah, I heard about that book too.I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and order it.Oh, and Homalusa, I had actually planned on doing exactly what you said!What can I say..great minds...must be that Choctaw-thing ennit?

Comment

The most common argument I have heard in support of keeping the mascots is simply, the idea that the mascots (right or wrong) are those particular school's history and the very act of changing a school's mascot for "politically correct" reasons is an insult to the ol' timers. "This is our Mascot. We must keep it. Ooga, booga."

Other common arguments is that we should be proud that an image depicting NDN's as tough, brave warriors is an honoring complement and we are somehow biting the hand that feeds us by complaining (a pastor once told me, "all I ever hear in the news is Injuns crying for more money, and then crying again about our historical mascots hurting their wit-tow fee-wings").

The South Bend, Washington, High School has an "Indian" mascot that looks like a big yellow booger with eyes. The Cleveland Indian looks like a work by Michaelangelo in comparison. How anyone can be flattered by that pathetic excuse for a caricature is beyond reason, yet still they keep it -- although they try to make up for it by having their 4H club host a powwow every year.

I had this DWEEB roommate a couple years ago, who said instead of fighting it, we should demand rent money for our image and *capitalize* on it (he suggested with a gleeful smile, geez now I see why he will never be more than an unemployed sci-fi author wannabe).
                            "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                            Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

See, that right there's the stuff that pisses me off. This crap is just a freakin' cycle of fundamental historical stereotypes that get used as commodities.People actually buy this crap ("costner" movies,"how to be a cherokee shaman in ten days" books,mascots,etc) and worse buy INTO. It denies our modern existence because there aren't any representations of us that don't use these stereotypes.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.