X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are SO RIGHT!

Comment

Exceptable???? Fruedian slip??? those are unacceptable!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stone wolf
        Drugs and alcohol is a problem for all the four races, men and women.
        Yeah, but the problem with natives is the amount of natives (census wise) in the United States. Based on the amount of natives that die every year (This is based on SAMHSA info./Prog. in many native tribes) if we were to flip that in terms of white people it would be 1.2 white people a year dying. That would be considered a catastrophe. The gov't would be doing everything they could to fix it. Native American suicide, alcoholism, spousal abuse, diabetes, heart disease, child abuse and drug addiction are double and in some cases (suicide, alcoholism) triple the rate of other races (which is insane b/c there are more people in the other races). Even in one of my college classes a professor asked if anyone knew why alcoholism was so prevalent in natives (everyone laughed and of course looked at me since I was the only native in there). No one knew it was b/c of a lackin gene which causes the addiction.

If people took the time to learn about natives as much as they want to learn about the dancing, sweats, beadwork, oroutftis.....maybe we would look more human, and in need of help, patience and understanding.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Originally posted by CandaePrincess
          No one knew it was b/c of a lackin gene which causes the addiction.
          You know, that lack of a gene in our stomach is a myth. They actually have found no physical evidence why it's prevalent in native communities.
          On one group we discussed this and it was thought maybe it was because of environment. Most countries were drinking is part of the culture have almost a protocal of acceptable behaviors when drinking or drunk.
          I know that sounds like a load of bull, but if you think about it, you'll notice how some folks act when drinking from bar to bar even. Since our cultures did'nt have drinking, we could still be reacting the way our ancestors that first tasted alchohol did.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

What does this have to do with Natives humping white folks?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii

Maybe we always get drunk first???? j/k j/k j/k

Comment

Really, it's all excuses that folks use as to why they can't go out and find another appropriate native to love and pro-create with. I have to admit I had to search awhile for the right man, and move 2000+ miles to be with him; but where both native, our kids are native, we are all proud of who we are, and it was worth it to me to wait and find "the right man."

Comment

Just a little fact so it can't be used as an excuse.
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Marriage is a gamble at best..among ANY ethnic group. But
                    a marriage is more likely to succeed if it is with someone of
                    your own religion and culture. This does not mean that there
                    are not people from other racial or ethnic groups that you
                    would not be compatible with, nor does it mean that you
                    could have a bad marriage within your own ethnic group. It
                    is just more likely that you will have a good marriage if it is
                    with someone who shares your own cultural values.
                    alamosaurus

Comment

I believe a relationship does have a better chance if both people have a similar background, traditionally speaking. I know from experience. I don't think it's wrong to be with a non-native, but sometimes I think our ancestors might have something else in mind.

Comment

My daughter arielle thinks she should be able to date anyone of any race. the same goes for marriage. 'you should marry them if you like them, it shouldnt matter thier race"

Comment

Go for it. It don't matter to me or anyone else in this world.

Some of us are just thinking of preservation, that's all.

Extinction is forever.

Comment

The thought of that is just nasty..... I don't want no glow in the dark chick.... sick man sick!
                            Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Well, I must say that I married a non-native and I love her dearly. We've been married for 21 years. We have the problem with people judging her because of her skin color and not knowing the first thing about her. My thing is, don't judge until you get to know someone. But, of course, our human nature is to judge before we get to know someone.
                              Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

I have weird feelings about this one. I married a Hispanic man, and so I guess our three tiny tots are "Indian Tacos", eh!?! LOL
                                Anyway, I married Efream because I loved him, and I am lucky that he is now a grass dancer, we live in the Black Hills, and he goes to Inipi ceremonies when he can, and my family loves him for his respect. Our kids are learning Spanish and Lakota at the same rate they are learning English. We make many visits to Texas and participate in as many Hispanic celebrations locally as we can, though not nearly as many as the powwows we go to.
                                I think people should marry who they love and get along with, and with that comes respect for each other's heritage and culture. If they don't respect your culture, then they don't really respect you either, since they both go hand in hand.
                                HOWEVER, I do NOT think that Native people should be pressured to "Breed" with other natives just to preserve a culture. How on earth can anyone justify that? That is selective breeding and we do that for show animals like cats, dogs, and horses. Is that what we reduce ourselves and our young people to? It's inhumane, and I sincerely hope that people are not encouraging their young natives to marry others of their tribe simply to preserve the tribe. How many generations does it take to create inbred children?
                                I think that the interstate travel to powwows across the country is a good thing, simply to create a broader variety of "snaggin'" opportunities. I think that just based on what our family does, where we travel and the people we hang with, our children have a great chance to meet and marry Natives or Hispanic people. But, of course, college tends to break down all kinds of barriers.....*sigh*,.....at least I have 13 more years until I have to worry about that!! LMAO
                                Ipsica Waci
                                Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X