Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put me in the marry who you love camp. My wife is first generation born in the U.S. Even my European ancestors have been here since the early 1600's. She is respectful of my culture, and we have talked about what aspects of our respective cultures we will instill in our children.
    J.L. Benet

Comment

I guess I'm for that marry (or sleep with) who you love deal, otherwise, I wouldn't be here. (Hence the name MixedIndian). I'm sure that applies to a lot of us, a lot of us are mixed indians now. And anyway, I feel as long as you maintain knowledge of your heritage and roots and pass along the knowledge to your children, whether they're full or not, you are still Native living the Native way. And that's what's important. The Government still fails to regonize you whether you're 100% or 2%, they still don't want Natives around, so why risk losing out on someone you love to be with a Native that you maynot love and still have the Gov. f-u-c-k you around!! Think about it.
      Be beautiful, be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
        pastie - that can be construed inna variety of ways. It's a term used in N.Michigan as a word to describe a pastry/pie product.

Also, a word to describe a nipple cover that exotic dancers use.

Which one are you, Trob?
        Your makin me hungry and not because of the nipple cover thing.
        Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

Originally posted by Migiziwomen View Post
          ...now here is my question Native or not, he is not from my nation so really as far as qauntum goes he might as well be white, right. lol just a thought.
          Think about it like this...

If you practice some of your tribal customs (not pow-wow), an indian would know not to refuse food, or ask why about everything.

If you go to a pow-wow, you wouldn't have to sit next to your indian partner and tell them the meaning of everything going on in the arena. You could go walk around and be your normal sociable self.

If you bring the family around your indian man, you don't have to apologize to him because your family starts teasing him really hard. U also don't have to tell them they only tease when they like you.

If you have to smudge or any other type of cultural task you can just do it in front of your indian man and not stop to explain. You can even ask them to do it since he's the man.

You can take your indian man to your tribal ceremonies and not have to ask permission if he can go.

I'm sure there are even more situations like this.... and these are good reasons to be with an indian (native, tribal person etcc....)

Bonus if the person loves to pow-wow! then u always have a travel partner.
          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

well i personally think besides being a good tpoic but ndn's should marry ndn's... but the oriniginal person who started this thread should recognize that just because the person isnt a card holder doesnt mean that they arent ndn...I also believe that a person should marry for love not because of race. You want to make sure youre happy and with the right person and not shoved into something you would be miserable in. I see in cali tons of non-natives marrying ndn's and many of them respect their spouse and family so its going about the right way. Thern again the problem is the blood quantem will go down so its a 50/50 deal with me. my boyfriend is 1/4 Navajo and me im 1/4 Osage& Blackfoot. we are both raised ndn and both grew up in the powwow circuit but when we have kids in all the BQ will reamin a 1/4 but at that point the only thing to do is encourage not shove any kids into marrying fullbloods.

Comment

Rolfe and Pocahontas have roughly 20-30000 descendants and there actually is a society of the descendants for these 2 people. There are also many more descendants of pocahontas' siblings of which my ex was also. Most reside in Virginia but of course im sure by now many reside elsewhere.

Everyone is mixed race by now or practically everyone. Only 10 % of the indian population in 1900 was fullblood I doubt the indian population now has any significant fullbloods by now.

In the last 7 generations you had 254 ancestors. I doubt anyone knows all 254 and can prove that none of them were white, that also goes to whites i doubt most can prove none of their ancestors were another race. If you go back to 14 generations you have 32766 ancestors which is probably the last 300 years. In the last 300 years can you tell me all 32766 ancestors are indian?

The big problem is what is more important to us. Superindngyrl was speaking about day to day culture. Its far easier to have another indian as partner and pass your culture and language down to the next generation than it is to have someone of another race.

However all is pointless if those people that are only indian by blood quantum are only passing down ghetto culture and are just wannabee blacks.
              Our reservations are no longer the centers of indian culture but just another ghetto where our youth identify with a cultureless people than they do with their own. Gang banging members of your own nations. How sick and twisted. Our ancestors would not even accept half the rez as tribal members nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Osage_jingle View Post
                well i personally think besides being a good tpoic but ndn's should marry ndn's... but the oriniginal person who started this thread should recognize that just because the person isnt a card holder doesnt mean that they arent ndn...I also believe that a person should marry for love not because of race. You want to make sure youre happy and with the right person and not shoved into something you would be miserable in. I see in cali tons of non-natives marrying ndn's and many of them respect their spouse and family so its going about the right way. Thern again the problem is the blood quantem will go down so its a 50/50 deal with me. my boyfriend is 1/4 Navajo and me im 1/4 Osage& Blackfoot. we are both raised ndn and both grew up in the powwow circuit but when we have kids in all the BQ will reamin a 1/4 but at that point the only thing to do is encourage not shove any kids into marrying fullbloods.
                I hear that! Too, we're not the only Indigenous folks left. My g-f is white, Swedish and French Canadian and her folks, the Swedish side of her Family have only been here for the past 50years or so. Her maw-maw speaks Swedish fluently and the Family celebrates Christmas in the original traditional manner with the candles and the, oh I forget what she is called, but the Female spirit of Christmas is remembered and celebrated.. Its pretty cool-its not about getting stuff-its more about Family time and good food and we exchange inexpensive presents.

She and I are just stupid in love and if you've ever been bit by that love bug, well, you'll know how it is. It's bigger than race and bigger than any of us can fully understand, IMHO.

Bottom line, respect each others traditions, know that there are some things that just are not meant to be shared cross-culturally, keep your own identity and know who you are and it'll work out!
                Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuj510 View Post
                  I hear that! Too, we're not the only Indigenous folks left. My g-f is white, Swedish and French Canadian and her folks, the Swedish side of her Family have only been here for the past 50years or so. Her maw-maw speaks Swedish fluently and the Family celebrates Christmas in the original traditional manner with the candles and the, oh I forget what she is called, but the Female spirit of Christmas is remembered and celebrated.. Its pretty cool-its not about getting stuff-its more about Family time and good food and we exchange inexpensive presents.

She and I are just stupid in love and if you've ever been bit by that love bug, well, you'll know how it is. It's bigger than race and bigger than any of us can fully understand, IMHO.

Bottom line, respect each others traditions, know that there are some things that just are not meant to be shared cross-culturally, keep your own identity and know who you are and it'll work out!
                  Are you talking about Lucia? My Mother's family is Swedish and my Grandfather has made sure we have kept some of the traditions. It's important for me to pass down what I know to my children and someday grandchildren but it's also important that we show them tolerance and respect for other traditions.

My Husband is mulatto, his family doesn't practice anything inparticular so we made a point of teaching our girls about Juneteenth, but I don't expect them to marry other "quadroons."
                  "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

well I for one am the product af very differnt races and cultures.
                    it has its good points and bad points.... like anything else.

ideally you should choose your mate for what's on the inside. labels and categories shouldn't matter.
                    but i suppose there's more of a chance of you and your mate having something in common if you have some culture and history in common.

but thats just my opinion
                    There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Eagle View Post
                      I didn't read all the posts - I think I have adult ADD but anyways...

I hope that my daughter will marry someone who treats her exceptionally good - if that person ends up being Aboriginal then great - that would be my preference. However I am open minded enough to accept a nice guy of any colour.
                      I have the same thoughts as well.

Comment

that's the one!

Originally posted by ok24stacey View Post
                        Are you talking about Lucia? My Mother's family is Swedish and my Grandfather has made sure we have kept some of the traditions. It's important for me to pass down what I know to my children and someday grandchildren but it's also important that we show them tolerance and respect for other traditions.

My Husband is mulatto, his family doesn't practice anything inparticular so we made a point of teaching our girls about Juneteenth, but I don't expect them to marry other "quadroons."
                        Yes, that's it! Lucia-thank you!
                        Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mikki_mono View Post
                          My question out there is what is everyones oppinion on Natives dating/marrying non-natives?
                          Myself . . . I would never be caught dead with a non-indian. A half-breed maybe, but never a non-indian. Im an NDN loving woman.

My lil' sister was marrided to a white guy, but he wanted to be with someone who enjoyed his interests. Now shes dating a balck guy, he doesnt look like a struck match or a cup of coffee with to much creamer. At first I hated the idea she was dating out of the NDN Circle, but its her choice, and her life. I love my sister, and support her decisions.

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Woman View Post
                            Myself . . . I would never be caught dead with a non-indian. A half-breed maybe, but never a non-indian. Im an NDN loving woman.

My lil' sister was marrided to a white guy, but he wanted to be with someone who enjoyed his interests. Now shes dating a balck guy, he doesnt look like a struck match or a cup of coffee with to much creamer. At first I hated the idea she was dating out of the NDN Circle, but its her choice, and her life. I love my sister, and support her decisions.
                            Oh really....
                            "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

Yup. She said his skin color is like Denzel Washington.
                              Okay, whatever.

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Woman View Post
                                Yup. She said his skin color is like Denzel Washington.
                                Okay, whatever.
                                That helps me get a visual. cool. lol

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X